If a serious movie about Asperger's was made...

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2016, 8:41 am

I was thinking, maybe a mockumentary in the spirit of FUBAR or Trailer Park Boys would work; give it a comedic slant and allow the main characters to poke fun at themselves, but also give it a more serious angle and realistically portray the day to day struggles of someone on the autism spectrum.

FUBAR was great in this regard because it revolved around the life of a headbanger and his friends in late 90s Alberta and their silly antics, but it also dealt with one of the main characters trying to come to terms with his diagnosis of testicular cancer, and how it affects him and the people he loves. It's often described as a comedy, but there's some real drama in there too, and the whole movie has a very organic, realistic feel to it. It made me feel somewhat nostalgic even because the characters on there reminded me of the guys my dad used to hang out with in the late 90s.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2016, 9:17 am

Has anyone seen the movie The Zero Effect? I don't think it was intended as anything to do with Aspergers or Autism, but it's a private detective movie loosely inspired by Sherlock Holmes and the main character Daryl Zero has social issues. The weird thing is when he is investigating a case undercover, he can be social as he is playing a character to get information from people, but when the case over and he's not working, he retreats to his penthouse office. He won't even meet his own clients in person; he has an assistant do all that for him.

It's an odd detective story dramedy, but I think it's close to the type of movie production you're describing.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2016, 10:08 am

VIDEODROME wrote:
Has anyone seen the movie The Zero Effect? I don't think it was intended as anything to do with Aspergers or Autism, but it's a private detective movie loosely inspired by Sherlock Holmes and the main character Daryl Zero has social issues. The weird thing is when he is investigating a case undercover, he can be social as he is playing a character to get information from people, but when the case over and he's not working, he retreats to his penthouse office. He won't even meet his own clients in person; he has an assistant do all that for him.

It's an odd detective story dramedy, but I think it's close to the type of movie production you're describing.

I'll have to watch it, though it doesn't really sound like what I was describing other than the dramedy aspect. I was really thinking of something a lot more raw and low budget, something Canadians seem to do well with (FUBAR and Trailer Park Boys were both made in Canada. :D)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0302585/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 The trailer for this makes it seem more rowdy than it really is, like all of the scenes shown are in the movie, but it's not like non-stop fighting and drunkenness. :P