Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Sep 2016, 6:43 pm

Brisbane born Aspie here :D . Been a Queenslander all my life

B19
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 7:03 pm

I will move this to the General forum where more Antipodean members are likely to see it.

raisedbywookiees
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2016, 8:53 pm

loneroamer wrote:
...You can get a GP to write you a mental health plan which gives you access to psych services under medicare...

Hey, welcome loneroamer. I've used a mental health plan. For those who may not want to disclose, be aware that it's on your medical record, although I'm not aware of all of the implications surrounding that. I wonder if you can use it for referral to clinics that do formal evaluations? Anyone? For those who have an immediate family member whose employer utilises EAP, that might be an option too.

Also, whilst I'm here, I'd like to apologise for my previous post. I didn't consider that it might have come across as disrespectful to those needing financial or other assistance dependant on and requiring an official diagnosis by way of formal evaluation. I was more commenting about the 'official' 'unofficial' distinctions that appear here on WP from time to time.

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 9:14 pm

loneroamer wrote:
Spice wolf in terms of 'free' diagnosis in Aus. You can get a GP to write you a mental health plan which gives you access to psych services under medicare. This is the cheapest way I know of.

Interesting, at first I thought you were talking about the 721/723 ones(which you need a pre existing diagnosis for).
But these ones are new they are 2700's and introduced after I stopped working in a GP clinic.

I'll have to research these, thanks for the info :)

loneroamer wrote:
I am an adult female so good at 'pretending to be normal' but ends up costing me later.

Also left full on job where I would work all week and then collapse and hide all weekend. Now working part time and feel I have more balance and can follow my passions as well, not just work and sleep.

I do something similar, I work per diem.
This gives me a degree of control over what days and hours I work.

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 9:22 pm

raisedbywookiees wrote:
I've used a mental health plan. For those who may not want to disclose, be aware that it's on your medical record, although I'm not aware of all of the implications surrounding that.

Unless they are markedly different from the other careplans, yes, your diagnosis gets sent to Canberra.

Whereas with a bulk billed session, all that is sent is the length of the consultation, unless things have changed which they could have.
Because I know the government is pushing their fancy new "centralised health records" system quite hard at the moment.

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2016, 7:02 am

Lost wrote:
I've started the process to seek an adult diagnosis, I'm not sure where this is going to take me.

Do let us know how it goes.
I've yet to have mine. It costs, and I get no financial benefits.
It's not as if I'll be telling anyone, NT's tend to use that information against you.

Lost
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Sep 2016, 6:26 pm

I've had two sessions so far with the psychologist doing a basic background history and screening questionnaire. So far she thinks I do have a valid reason to seek a possible diagnosis so at least it's not all in my head!
I've found it sort of difficult so far but cannot really explain why. I'm constantly wondering what the psychologist is thinking at the end of the sessions. Also, the going over of everything that makes me "different" is not doing my self esteem any good.
My next visit is a parent interview to get an assessment of my childhood. This will be strange for me as I've forgotten most of it and I did not understand what marked me out as different so I was oblivious to much of it anyway.

It is a relatively expensive process but I'm fortunate in that I'm currently employed on a casual basis and can afford it. If I lose this current job I'm going to need a diagnosis to survive I think. My ability to pretend to be normal is getting worse as I get older so finding work will be a significant obstacle for me if I had to do so.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 6:47 pm

...Since you said " planning to visit " , I'm qualified here...I'd like to visit Oz (I'd like to see the Great Barrier Reef , for one) ~ however , I have been told that my teeny-weeny record (which I've discussed here previously) makes me not-able to get past Customs as a tourist - At least back when the legal s**t was more recent .

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Tallman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Sep 2016, 7:26 pm

I've been swimming in the Great Barrier Reef. It's amazing! Definitely do it if you can :D

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 10:22 pm

^I'll add it to my bucket list.
Definitely want to go up to Cairns some time in the near future.

GenX
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Sep 2016, 1:14 am

Another one here, in the ACT.

jason33
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Sep 2016, 1:56 am

Another one - Regional Victoria. Self diagnosed. Currently getting a diagnosis also. Getting on a mental health plan and getting it done as part of that, is the way to go!

Tallman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Oct 2016, 10:53 pm

Hi Jason! Welcome :D

missing_advert
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Nov 2016, 2:10 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm new to the site. I have recently been diognosed with ASD Aspergers, got mine through ATAPS.

alisoncc
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Nov 2016, 5:15 am

Another Aspie here. Down the NSW South Coast. Retired female - ex IT and Accountant. Would love to meet up with any other Aspies down Batemans Bay area.

Alison

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)