Friend takes too long to reply, or is it just normal?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

alpacka
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Aug 2016, 1:44 pm

I have a friend who recently moved to another state. when I send a text message and asks how she is she never answers earlier than 24 hours. Often it takes several days or weeks. She lives alone and is unemployed (but have a boyfriend). She has no known diagnosis or appear to be depressed either. Nor has she any specific hobby to go. I have asked her a couple of years ago why she forgets to respond or take such a long time, she has been like this since I met her. And the answer is that she forgets about it but she do care about me, but I don´t know. Sometimes when we meet up she responds very quickly when her guy texting her or someone else, but not me. I have also ask her if we can go on Skype or something but it´s always "broken" she says. I feel it´s excuses. Then suddenly a couple of weeks have passed and I get a text from her saying "you want me to come and visit you?" I´m like thinking she didn´t care about me.

Is there a "rule" of how long an answer must be before it is considered just bad manners? We are both adults so it´s not just a teenager-problem. I don´t get why she is doing this and I can´t ask her more.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 2:08 pm

whatever works for the two of you is okay. in the business world, a call-back by the next day is customary. among friends, i don't think there's a hard and fast rule. you are unhappy about the delay, but you've brought it up and your friend hasn't changed. you just need to decide whether having this imperfect friend is worth the annoyance.