Page 2 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

Greenleaf
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Sep 2016, 7:14 pm

The exact definition of "feminism" that posters intend to use would be helpful sometimes... per Wikipedia's first paragraph on feminism,

"Feminism is a range of political movements, ideologies, and social movements that share a common goal: to define, establish, and achieve political, economic, personal, and social rights for women that are equal to those of men.[1][2] This includes seeking to establish equal opportunities for women in education and employment."

I'd really hope that people aren't discounting females' eligibility for such things, many are considered basic human rights these days. Autistic people deserve such rights, I would hope people agree.

Not all people believe in many of those rights for females, no matter what country one is in... Some also deny them to plenty of males of course.

Re. sexism in research... of course it exists! It's very tricky to know when and where though... for instance, is an autistic boy getting more attention (and maybe preferential inclusion in research) because his neurology causes him to act out, whereas his autistic sister sits and reads the same book over and over? One might try to find out, for instance, if families in that region always pay more attention to their sons in other ways that perhaps are relevant, or if the "acting out" is really a special stressor. What about girls that "act out"...

Getting at the answers in these cases is very tricky, but has been done for many situations, issues, and groups. Every study has its strengths and weaknesses of course.

In any case, thank goodness the researchers are finally adding more females to studies! I have to add, the "extreme male brain" theory really really bugs me, on a side note.

Silas 112
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Feb 2017, 4:51 pm

Just came here to say that he also uses "*autistic screeching" as an insult in the thumbnail of his recent video with Jontron. And he uses it as an insult on Twitter like, all the damn time. He REALLY likes insulting autistic people.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2017, 6:05 pm

I see Drunken Peasants doing the same thing and find their jokes funny. I don't get why everyone is being so sensitive about their jokes? I will admit my medication kind of messes with those kinds of feelings.

Niall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: Forth Estuary Area, Western Palearctic Archipelago, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way

04 Feb 2017, 10:41 am

Okay, heterosexual, Caucasian, male Aspie who is also a social justice warrior here.

That's in the sense of "an individual promoting socially progressive views, including feminism, civil rights, multiculturalism,and identity politics."

So, pretty close. I'm willing to engage in a sensible discussion over the usefulness or otherwise of identity politics (personally I think it's useful), and the main reason I don't identify as feminist (feminism: "the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes") is because I don't have the lived experience of being a woman in an undeniably patriarchal society.

I don't want to give visitors to the site the notion that Aspies oppose progressive values.

There are people using "autistic" as a slur, and these are often the same ****holes wrongly setting up feminism as "hating men". It's a useful straw man for regressive campaigners, mostly on the right.

Writing here as an Aspie, I recognise that, for example, intersectionality theory has much to offer campaigns for autistic rights, especially those auties who might not be male (to specifically include the disproportionate number of us who don't fit binary male-female modes; see for example: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... ty/507509/). That's straight out of modern feminist thought, and has heavily influenced many progressives.

I recognise, as misogynists like Sargon do not (or choose to ignore), that social justice has to mean everyone, not just my groups, which is one reason why feminism doesn't scare me.

Stuck on some pre-FTL rationality-forsaken mudball in the Orion Spur. Ecological collapse (dominant-species induced major extinction event) imminent. Requesting passage to any post-scarcity biological civ. Beacon status: ACTIVE. Can tell stories.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 11:27 am

I see a big portion of online 3rd wave feminist hating men, and making up statistics. Your definition of feminism points out the problem with feminism. You cannot achieve equality by focusing on one group. Men face problems in the justice system. Women face problems in many religious groups

Niall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: Forth Estuary Area, Western Palearctic Archipelago, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way

04 Feb 2017, 11:53 am

BettaPonic wrote:
I see a big portion of online 3rd wave feminist hating men, and making up statistics. Your definition of feminism points out the problem with feminism. You cannot achieve equality by focusing on one group. Men face problems in the justice system. Women face problems in many religious groups

Most modern feminists don't do that, though, which is the point I was trying to make. Yes, often the focus is on women specifically, because there are issues that women face that men either don't or face less. Intersectionality theory, on which most modern feminism is based, recognises that there are intersecting axes of oppression. I know it's hard enough being an educated, Caucasian, heterosexual male Aspie, but I'd have even more trouble, and even less access to services (both support and diagnostic) if I were a black, lesbian Aspie.

That tells me that it's not a case of man-hating SJW female feminists jumping on a bandwagon, but a recognition that we could have some more competent allies if parts of the Autie community stopped blaming women for all their problems because many of those feminists recognise that there is more than one issue in a silo to address, which is why I'd much rather listen to someone like, say Lydia Brown, who has done more for autistic advocacy than most people on this board put together, than someone moaning about SJWs.

Now, maybe there is "big portion of online 3rd wave feminist hating men, and making up statistics" but, if so, I haven't met them. I have encountered a number of regressive men (mostly) setting up straw men to knock down, this Sargon guy being one of them.

Stuck on some pre-FTL rationality-forsaken mudball in the Orion Spur. Ecological collapse (dominant-species induced major extinction event) imminent. Requesting passage to any post-scarcity biological civ. Beacon status: ACTIVE. Can tell stories.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 12:09 pm

Wage gap, and college rape statistics are examples of made up examples. Modern feminist in the devoloped world reject the problems that groups they deem as "privileged" face. Tumblr is a good example kill all men is a good example of it. Major Feminist leaders such as Anita Sarkeseen lie and claim harassment anytime someone disagrees with them. People such as Steve Shives employ mass block bots. Games such as GTA are banned because of its "sexism".

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 12:16 pm

Niall wrote:
there are issues that women face that men either don't or face less

There are issues that men face that women either don't or face less.

Niall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Feb 2017, 12:21 pm

BettaPonic wrote:
Wage gap, and college rape statistics are examples of made up examples. Modern feminist in the devoloped world reject the problems that groups they deem as "privileged" face. Tumblr is a good example kill all men is a good example of it. Major Feminist leaders such as Anita Sarkeseen lie and claim harassment anytime someone disagrees with them. People such as Steve Shives employ mass block bots. Games such as GTA are banned because of its "sexism".

That newspapers employ clickbait headlines isn't new. The problem is that it allows some people to dismiss very real concerns (one sexual assault is still one too many). Then you have the problem of some men taking a tiny minority as representative.

GTA5 was banned not because it was "sexist", but because it encouraged players to murder women for entertainment.

Niall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Feb 2017, 12:22 pm

iliketrees wrote:
Niall wrote:

I don't see your point. An intersectional feminist analysis would actively encourage addressing those issues.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 12:25 pm

How did it encourage men to murder women? Killing a person in a game is not the same as real life. Many Feminist falsely claim one in four women will be rapped in college, but I do agree one assault is to many. Sexual assault isn't strictly a women problem though.

Niall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Feb 2017, 12:30 pm

BettaPonic wrote:
How did it encourage men to murder women? Killing a person in a game is not the same as real life. Many Feminist falsely claim one in four women will be rapped in college, but I do agree one assault is to many. Sexual assault isn't strictly a women problem though.

Try reading something that isn't some MRA site, please? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30328314

No, a few newspapers misreported a study that said something completely different, and a few individuals picked up on it. You can't generalise from a few women to an entire group any more than you can generalise from the BS on an MRA site to all men (thankfully). Deciding that if it's not one in four that it's then not a problem is an issue.

Note that we digress. Shall we take this back to the question of feminism and autism?

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 12:32 pm

Niall wrote:
iliketrees wrote:
Niall wrote:

I don't see your point. An intersectional feminist analysis would actively encourage addressing those issues.

My point is women would be the focus, since feminists believe equality would be reached through increasing women's rights. So what if a few of them don't completely ignore men if they still believe women are "oppressed"?

Niall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Feb 2017, 12:34 pm

iliketrees wrote:
My point is women would be the focus, since feminists believe equality would be reached through increasing women's rights. So what if a few of them don't completely ignore men if they still believe women are "oppressed"?

That's a straw man, and reflects either ignorance of feminist thought or trolling, and I'm going to treat it accordingly.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 12:36 pm

Niall wrote:
iliketrees wrote:

That's a straw man, and reflects either ignorance of feminist thought or trolling, and I'm going to treat it accordingly.

How's it any different to what you said here?

Quote:
(feminism: "the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes")