Page 1 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

JackBruns
Raven
Raven

16 Sep 2016, 7:47 pm

in context of being a "first world" country? Lack of affordable healthcare, dental care, middle class erosion, brutal cops, brutal prisons, brutal military, military occupation all over the globe, war on drugs; I mean, the list of why this country blows is seemingly endless. It used to be that at least it was easier to get a job compared to Europe, and that we had some freedoms, but we don't even really have any of those benefits anymore.

Thoughts? And please no cliche such as "Love it or leave it", as I for example, don't have the luxury of countries willing to roll out the welcome mat with my disability.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2016, 8:34 pm

Other than the ghettos, I doubt you'd find it any different than anywhere else in the Western world (which also have ghettos, but they're FAR less violent).

Positives and negatives for each of them, but not much different overall.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2016, 8:44 pm

down under has much more affordable health care for the masses, just like any other non-American western nation.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2016, 8:53 pm

auntblabby wrote:
down under has much more affordable health care for the masses, just like any other non-American western nation.

That's one of the positives for Oz. Though, I'd rather go private for mental health care, especially with hospitals; that requires insurance, however (which isn't too bad in price, but I can see how it might bother some).

We don't have a handy Bill Of Rights (no 1st, for example), and our police, whilst laid back more due to less crime (no bad ghettos), have far more power than the ones in the US. It's actually much more of a police state here than the US.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2016, 8:58 pm

JackBruns wrote:
in context of being a "first world" country? Lack of affordable healthcare, dental care, middle class erosion, brutal cops, brutal prisons, brutal military, military occupation all over the globe, war on drugs; I mean, the list of why this country blows is seemingly endless. It used to be that at least it was easier to get a job compared to Europe, and that we had some freedoms, but we don't even really have any of those benefits anymore.

Thoughts? And please no cliche such as "Love it or leave it", as I for example, don't have the luxury of countries willing to roll out the welcome mat with my disability.

Well evidently if you are staying and questioning if other countries would treat you right then America has done somethings right otherwise you would leave. I frankly don't know why you are telling people to not say leave unless you didn't want this irony pointed out to you.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2016, 9:16 pm

Yeah, pretty much. In nearly every measure we're surpassed by other countries.

JackBruns
Raven
Raven

16 Sep 2016, 9:52 pm

dcj123 wrote:
JackBruns wrote:

Well evidently if you are staying and questioning if other countries would treat you right then America has done somethings right otherwise you would leave. I frankly don't know why you are telling people to not say leave unless you didn't want this irony pointed out to you.

You never read my last part. I would love to leave, but where would I go? Like I stated, there are no countries out there that I know would take me in.

JackBruns
Raven
Raven

16 Sep 2016, 9:58 pm

Dillogic wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

That's one of the positives for Oz. Though, I'd rather go private for mental health care, especially with hospitals; that requires insurance, however (which isn't too bad in price, but I can see how it might bother some).

We don't have a handy Bill Of Rights (no 1st, for example), and our police, whilst laid back more due to less crime (no bad ghettos), have far more power than the ones in the US. It's actually much more of a police state here than the US.

Oh, our Constitution means nothing. Absolutely nothing. Our politicians bypass it on a regular basis, and the military turns the other cheek. I challenge anyone to pull out a joint and light up in front of a DEA and see what happens. You'll know right away how much "freedom" you really have.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2016, 10:03 pm

dcj123 wrote:
JackBruns wrote:

sorry but that isn't what he said at all - "I for example, don't have the luxury of countries willing to roll out the welcome mat with my disability." that sounds to me that he is in my boat, having no other western country willing to take me and in effect being stuck here.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2016, 10:07 pm

Dillogic wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

That's one of the positives for Oz. Though, I'd rather go private for mental health care, especially with hospitals; that requires insurance, however (which isn't too bad in price, but I can see how it might bother some). We don't have a handy Bill Of Rights (no 1st, for example), and our police, whilst laid back more due to less crime (no bad ghettos), have far more power than the ones in the US. It's actually much more of a police state here than the US.

still seems far more civilized down there than up here in the land of the unfree, home of the wageslave. freedom costs major $$$$$$ here, and without $$$$$$, there's no freedom other than to starve. and our mental health care here, for the working class who receive no gov't bennies, is basically unaffordable. despite PPACA, mental health care is a "let's pretend" thing for those without Cadillac insurance plans. America is a rotten place for the working class who are between a rock and a hard place.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2016, 10:09 pm

auntblabby wrote:
dcj123 wrote:
JackBruns wrote:

sorry but that isn't what he said at all - "I for example, don't have the luxury of countries willing to roll out the welcome mat with my disability." that sounds to me that he is in my boat, having no other western country willing to take me and in effect being stuck here.

Okay sorry, it took me a minute to get the point.

Well at least you can put yourself out of your misery by voting this election, doesn't matter which candidate.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2016, 10:21 pm

dcj123 wrote:
Okay sorry, it took me a minute to get the point. Well at least you can put yourself out of your misery by voting this election, doesn't matter which candidate.

no worries :flower: I will definitely [god-willing] vote this election, assuming the election bureaucracy doesn't get all fouled up which I suspect it will be nationwide.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2016, 5:59 pm

The US is like reading the daily horoscope. It's always telling us what to do, and it's usually wrong. :twisted:

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2016, 9:49 pm

It's practically the world of Orwell where even though Jesus was supposedly a peace-loving hippie those who profess to follow him on average preach hatred. Which is no surprise considering Christian terrorism is concentrated in the states... but, of course, as hypocrisy goes, their memory concerning that suddenly performs a vanishing trick if it concerns the 'other's religion... boogeyman, inside.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2016, 10:03 pm

America is pretty awful but it can be fixed. That's what activism is for.

#putexxonmobilontrialforcrimesagainsthumanity
#lockheedmartindelendaest

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2016, 10:21 pm

i'm not so sure it can be fixed, we are hopelessly balkanized now. two totally opposed groups held together by force and imperfectly divided.