Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 12:13 am

Research Explains Sensory Integration Difficulties in Autism By Rick Nauert PhD

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 12:25 am

Unconvincing for me. Their definition of sensory issues may be a very narrow one which may leave a lot of experience out. I wonder what information source they relied upon in the first place. These kinds of experiments often seem to rely on assumptions that are often incomplete or received ideas.

vrolijk
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Sep 2016, 3:14 pm

Shifting the focus to sensory processing is great, but I am really perplexed by their building entirely on the tactile sense. Maybe it is just poorly written, but there are already strong theories out there that posit that social communication deficits are due to sensory integration dysfunction and an inability to process some parts of social communication as a result (unable to keep up with the volume of data because of hypersensitivity, inability to perceive some data or get accurate data because of hyposensitivity or distortions, variances in processing speed leading to audio and visual processing being out of sync, etc.) There is also lots and lots of anecdotal evidence from people who report being mono-channel, needing to read lips, being unable to understand verbal communication if trying to process visual information.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2016, 11:02 pm

Don't know. When I touch myself, I experience a lot less sensory sensitivity than when someone else touches me.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

B19
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2016, 12:07 am

That's true for everyone, whatever their neurology.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2016, 6:49 am

seems mostly true

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2016, 1:24 pm

In my view, the article doesn't do much to actually link these claimed experimental results with sensation to the operations of social interaction.