Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

sidetrack
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 6:35 pm

Greetings. Weeks ago I decided to go see an occupational therapist. If one description of occupational therapy is working on the 'end product' (.i.e. 'behavioral' component) of what is brought up in more psychotherapy like work (wherein the focus is, in my opinion on 'the pit of experience'), I would like to say how great seems to me that there exists such a 'niche' in which a profession like this can help with stuff.

While I do understand that it is not always like the 'hands on anatomical physicality' of physiotherapy and I wonder how it could possibly connect to cognitive behavioral therapy/CBT, this profession appeals to me, I could imagine as having supplemented my life substantially when I was little and perhaps I would dare to say how "what sign language interpreters are to deaf people, occupational therapists 'could be' to those on the spectrum?".

While I do feel like I could ponder on the potential ethicacy of doing this, I would like to share how I was given a sheet regarding 'SMART [Specific,Measurable,Attainable,Relevant and Time-bound] goals'.

There is an example given..

"My goal is to make new friends
Specific: I will trade phone numbers with someone new and invite them for coffee.
Measurable: If I go for coffee with a new person, I will have achieved my goal.
Attainable: I will go to a drop-in group so I can meet a new person to ask for coffee. Meeting new people at the drop-in group will make my goal do-able.
Relevant: I want to have good friends to hang out with after I finish school next year, so this goal will help me achieve my long-term goal.
Time-bound: I will trade phone numbers with someone new by the end of the month. I will invite them for coffee by the end of the summer.
"

Between most of the headings and blank lines are descriptions like..

"Specific (what EXACTLY do you want to do?): _____..

Measurable (how will you know when you've reached it?): ___..

Attainable (is it do-able?):___..

Relevant (does it matter for your long term goals?):____..

Time bound (when will you do it by?):___.. "

____

I kind of surprised by how this does not seem as daunting thus far as say more psychotherapy like activities where (not least b/c of media depictions), I would not be surprised if intense stuff surfaces/'reveals itself'. However, I write this in part b/c of how I don't really know how to start when it comes to occupational therapy and would greatly appreciate and be open to hearing from others such as on this forum..

Many thanks.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2016, 3:35 pm

ok, i read your post several times, and am still unclear.

pls state in one sentence what you are asking for from us.

ty

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2016, 5:42 pm

sidetrack wrote:
Greetings. Weeks ago I decided to go see an occupational therapist. If one description of occupational therapy is working on the 'end product' (.i.e. 'behavioral' component) of what is brought up in more psychotherapy like work (wherein the focus is, in my opinion on 'the pit of experience'), I would like to say how great seems to me that there exists such a 'niche' in which a profession like this can help with stuff.

Many thanks.

Hi Sidetrack,

How are you? :) I know exactly what you mean in regards to psychotherapists over enduring dilemmas of how to proceed with the 'unknown condition'. .
I've also felt that many types of therapists trigger off unnecessary tendencies to make their client feel uncomfortable in formal surrounds,
I'd say just go with the flow, but its a catch 22. It all depends on the person you're going to see, and whether or not their strength and willpower
has enough tenacity to make you feel completely a part of that bubble and not divided by similar doubt.

Hope this helps.
Welcome to the forum,
Empathy :)