Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 10:17 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I was constantly kicked out of class in junior high

Sometimes it was my fault; other times, it seemed as if the teachers tried to bait me, and they succeeded.

Teachers always used to bait one of my classmates (he was emotionally volatile, to say the least); it was cruel, such an abuse of power/neglect of care. He was really bright, too, they just decided not to help him for whatever reason.

kraftiekortie wrote:
Rachel has this down pat. She picks her battles well. She doesn't "cry wolf.

Yes, picking your battles is key, but it does take confidence. The problem with this topic is that bullying itself, especially from teachers, tends to knock that out of people. I am grateful for my self-assuredness on issues like this, not being able to stand up for yourself is the worst.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 12:22 pm

I don't remember being bullied by teacher in my early education. I clearly remember the bullying I received from other students and abuse of my dad but teachers were never that bad.

Sure, I remember standing outside of classroom or in the classroom corner a few times but everyone experienced this.

There was also a time when I received unbelievable amount of homework because my class was behaving badly. It wasn't fair because I was one of the very few people who actually paid attention and tried to behave but teacher decided on collective responsibility and told us to do "all of the exercises" in our textbook during the weekend. And it was a huge hit towards me because I misunderstood it and I literally filled the whole textbook during the weekend(working morning to night) and ended up being the only one who did. I didn't have do do any more homework for the whole year because all exercises in my textbook were already done. LOL

And there were a few times when the teacher was treating me badly due to me having poor grades and not understanding their subject. But there was a limit I could stand - as soon as my grades from the subject dropped under 2 of 6 (1 is failing grade, 2 barely passing, 5 very good grade, 6 extraordinary grade that's rarely used) I was getting into crazy study mode and surprising both teacher and myself by jumping from less than 2 to straight 5 within a month. That was ceasing the bullying.

But I was bullied during my college.

For example there was a sexist teacher that was often saying sexual stuff to female students and treating us like we are stupid. It hurt me more than other girls because I am non-binary and he was also picking on some of my aspie traits, by intentionally making me misunderstand and making idiot of myself. I wasn't so good in picking sarcasm back then.

There was also a problem with a female teacher. All teachers put exam dates information on school website(which I checked daily) but she decided to tell us about the dates using social grapevine instead and ignore the official way - but I didn't talk with other students much so noone passed me the information about exam and I didn't ask because I thought the info will be on the website. I also apperently misunderstood when she said "Who is unhappy about their results come at Monday for an extra lesson"(it was a weekend school and I was pretty happy with my results, I did all exercises during the scheduled lessons and she gave me OK on all of them so I thought I am safe) because later on she told me I was supposed to attend the extra classes because my results were not OK. She never told me that untill I got 4 failing grades for not showing on unofficially "announced" exam dates and a few extra lessons. She yelled at me for ignoring her. And I got a 3 from her subject (during college there are only 3 passing grades: 3, 4, and 5, 5 the best) despite getting 100% on the make up test (the first of her tests I actually attended, after she found me out and forced me to) and having straight 5 at all other teachers, including the teacher teaching the same subject as she did (subjects were divided between theory and practice with different teachers).
It was really bad situation.

Later on I was kinda bullied by another teacher - he was laughing at me and telling me I am stupid many ways possible (Me: "That's how I understood it.", Him: "No one else understood it this way.", Me: "It's doesn't make sense.", Him: "Makes perfect sense to me."). But I dealt with him because I was very good at his subject and just as he considered me stupid I also considered him stupid because he couldn't answer my questions and many times we actually argued while having the same conclusion but coming to it 2 different ways and trying to convince each other whose way is better but noone was able to understood what the other one way of thinking despite having the same result, lol. I bet my classmates liked the "self-study" times when teacher was busy arguing with me although teacher probably hated those interruptions.

Another teacher was worse. I barely understood what he is saying (he used a lot of metaphors, was speaking way too much and wouldn't write anything down so I was really confused) and the subject he taught was not something I could learn my myself. Every time I asked him to show me what I we are supposed to do because everyone was doig some exercise and I stood there confused he was saying "I just explained, You should have been listening instead of daydreaming." which hurt a lot because I really tried to listen but wouldn't understand. I tried to ask him for writing some stuff down but he wouldn't listen and when it did the way he wrote was almost as unclear as the way he spoke. His subjects really made me think I am stupid and it's all my fault. It made me depressed and were a force to seek official diagnosis. And eventually - still during diagnosing process, but after the doctor already told me it's probably Asperger - I couldn't stand it anymore and told him I have Asperger and can't deal with the way he holds his subject. He only said "So that why. We were wondering with <the teacher mentioned before> whats wrong with you. You should have told me earlier. People like this need accommodations and different teaching methods." and from that day forward he wasn't bullying me anymore and I understood his lessons a bit more because he was writing down more often and he was helping me out when I said I don't know what we are supposed to do.

jellyfiShenanigan
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Oct 2016, 4:03 pm

Kiriae wrote:
Another teacher was worse. I barely understood what he is saying (he used a lot of metaphors, was speaking way too much and wouldn't write anything down so I was really confused) and the subject he taught was not something I could learn my myself. (...) And eventually - still during diagnosing process, but after the doctor already told me it's probably Asperger -I couldn't stand it anymore and told him I have Asperger and can't deal with the way he holds his subject. He only said "So that why. We were wondering with <the teacher mentioned before> whats wrong with you. You should have told me earlier. People like this need accommodations and different teaching methods." and from that day forward he wasn't bullying me anymore and I understood his lessons a bit more because he was writing down more often and he was helping me out when I said I don't know what we are supposed to do.

It's great that he understood your needs afterwards :D I had a History teacher like that in middle school. One day he told me to listen. I answered " Well, I try to ... " (in contrary to most students who took it easy on their phone :hmph: ). He realized this method bored my group. Never sassed (is sass also a verb ?) me again 8)

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 4:16 pm

racheypie666 wrote:
Haha, I have a bit of a way with stuff like this. I don't normally bother with confrontation but when I do, my attitude's been described as 'take no prisoners, take no sh*t' :lol: . Part of the impact comes from the fact that I'm usually so quiet and withdrawn, I guess it has the element of surprise!

The worst argument I ever had with a teacher was really bad, in front of my whole year group, so I didn't think they could embarrass me much further. I got random kids coming up to high-five me after that one, and I didn't get into any trouble with the school because when I get angry, it's not over nothing.

My sister and I are like that. We are pretty easy going, but if we feel strongly enough to stand up for something or someone, that element of surprise - that the quiet person spoke out and was very forceful about it - really does make an impact.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 4:20 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
Yes, numerous teachers, some of them were just that way to everyone, but some of them particularly had it in for me and one or two other targeted unfortunates.

There was one teacher in high school -- one day he said something to me that was so vicious and soul destroying that I have never been able to forget it. I was 14. It stayed with me and made an incredibly negative impact without my even realizing how badly it was doing so.

And no, not making excuses -- this really did impact me in a way I could not shake. It was the kind of thing nobody should say to a young person trying to cope and find their way.

It's amazing how it sticks with you eh? My experience wasn't vicious, it was dismissive of a real problem, but I felt completely like I didn't matter; what I thought, how I felt, who I was didn't matter and that has stayed with me for life.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 5:01 pm

jellyfiShenanigan wrote:
Kiriae wrote:
Another teacher was worse. I barely understood what he is saying (he used a lot of metaphors, was speaking way too much and wouldn't write anything down so I was really confused) and the subject he taught was not something I could learn my myself. (...) And eventually - still during diagnosing process, but after the doctor already told me it's probably Asperger -I couldn't stand it anymore and told him I have Asperger and can't deal with the way he holds his subject. He only said "So that why. We were wondering with <the teacher mentioned before> whats wrong with you. You should have told me earlier. People like this need accommodations and different teaching methods." and from that day forward he wasn't bullying me anymore and I understood his lessons a bit more because he was writing down more often and he was helping me out when I said I don't know what we are supposed to do.

It's great that he understood your needs afterwards :D I had a History teacher like that in middle school. One day he told me to listen. I answered " Well, I try to ... " (in contrary to most students who took it easy on their phone :hmph: ). He realized this method bored my group. Never sassed (is sass also a verb ?) me again 8)

Except most students had little trouble understanding him and knew what to do. When teacher ignored me I usually asked other students to explain me what he wants from us and they could translate.

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 5:15 pm

I feel fortunate not to have been in that situation.

There were definitely confusing and upsetting times for me. Mainly with one teacher, who was a lovely lady that I really respected, but she'd seem to occasionally snap and sound quite irritated at me and I'd always think that her mood just changed from nowhere.

I tried hard. I had a love of learning. I wasn't organised, but I believed that the teachers really valued my efforts and academic abilities.

It was only when I found my school reports in case I needed them for diagnosis, and read them for the very first time, that I discovered a consistent message. Almost every teacher, over a number of years, would comment that I clearly didn't care about their subject and it was obvious that it wasn't the one for me.

I had no idea they felt like that. I thought I was outwardly showing how much I enjoyed their lessons, even if I didn't find it easy to get involved. I thought I was the quiet student that they all knew was trying her best, but it turns out that they all saw me as a disinterested student that would rather not be there.

The teacher that I mentioned earlier taught two similar subjects - one throughout school (from 11-18) and the other for A-Level (16-18). I took the new subject at A-Level, taught by her. Reading over my school reports gave me a real moment of clarity - I suddenly realised that her behaviour towards me, when I was 16, was borne out of disappointment that I'd signed up to do her subject. I imagine that in her mind, I'd picked something that I was no good at and didn't enjoy. I recognise that now. At the time, I had no idea! All I knew was that I was really interested in the topic and liked her as a teacher.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 5:25 pm

Kiriae wrote:
Except most students had little trouble understanding him and knew what to do. When teacher ignored me I usually asked other students to explain me what he wants from us and they could translate.

One time in Chemistry I was in my own little world, and the teacher asked me a question. I realised I had no idea what she'd said for the entire lesson and froze, but my lab partner whispered 'clouds', so I said 'um...clouds?'. Yeah, the lesson wasn't about clouds at all lol, it was very embarrassing (though a good prank, I must admit). I was pretty wary of asking other students for help after that lol. :lol:

ArielsSong wrote:
It was only when I found my school reports in case I needed them for diagnosis, and read them for the very first time, that I discovered a consistent message. Almost every teacher, over a number of years, would comment that I clearly didn't care about their subject and it was obvious that it wasn't the one for me.

Ouch, that's rough :( . I was really surprised to read one of my friend's school reports where the P.E. teacher had written that I was having a bad influence on her in sports, specifically that I was influencing her not to try (we both hated P.E.). It was so weird, I never thought anybody would see me as an influence or a ring-leader, I was so much on the periphery of our group. My friend said it wasn't true (that's why she showed me her report), but it's odd the teacher saw me this way :? .

bloose78
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Oct 2016, 12:39 am

I used to have a para(for me and 2 others on the spectrum) in elementary school for about 3 months(they switched paras around to different kids)who didn't necessarily bully me but was just very controlling. For example, me and another kid that was under the same para, were not allowed to TALK about Pokemon. I still don't remember why she did this and no I don't love Pokemon anymore, that was like 10 years ago. And whenever there was an issue she made it out to be way bigger than it was and would try to humiliate me in front of my classmates. She was just overall a mean person when I was in elementary school.

I played football in high school and my coaches were kind of dicks to me. I played O-line(and yes I actually saw the field consistently) and I wouldn't call it bullying but they would always try to mess with me and yes they knew I was on the spectrum, in fact of the coaches was a Special Ed teacher(wasn't my teacher) . I never really took it seriously until after high school, and no I don't really care they did that. They'd always just scare me about something that I might have done, then laugh about it "I'm just teasing you". We live in a small town so it never really was that bad and have understanding teachers when it comes to these things so I can't really complain too much.

jellyfiShenanigan
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Oct 2016, 1:55 pm

Kiriae wrote:
jellyfiShenanigan wrote:
Kiriae wrote:

I'm sorry I think I misunderstood your anecdote. :oops: That was rude from him to ignore you 8O

slave
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2016, 6:21 pm

Yes.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2016, 6:27 pm

Grammar Geek wrote:
Had a teacher in seventh grade who made me cry three times and never show any remorse (one time scolding me to "wipe those tears up") because everything I did around her was wrong to her and she'd criticize all my work and make me redo it if I had the slightest error (one time there was ERASER DUST on my paper and she made me do it again). She'd mock me in front of the class, and when I begged her to stop doing it, she said she wasn't doing anything and that I was being overdramatic.

I also had a teacher in third grade who would regularly flip over my desk to pour out all the contents because it was messy, and she'd also grab my head and twist it toward her if I wasn't looking at her when she was giving a lesson.

aka Assault, but hey it's a teacher...laws don't apply :roll:

slave
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2016, 6:33 pm

yelekam wrote:
yes, I had a teacher who had a habit of interpreting her own opinions a fact and thought she had the right to impose them on others. She got angry if anyone bothered to question her or point out the obvious problems with some of the stuff she said. My tendency to want to positively contribute to the class and instances of well intentioned pointing out of issues at what she said, made her particularly antagonistic toward me. On one instance, she cornered me in the hall, shouted at, and threatened me.
And I'm not the only person who saw her as a bully, plenty of other students did to.

IOW, a teacher with an ave IQ could not cope with fully justified questions from a high IQ student and reacted, surprise, surprise with threats and intimidation.
Hey, this is how they earn their gold-plated pension/benefits packages. :roll:

slave
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2016, 6:38 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
Yes, numerous teachers, some of them were just that way to everyone, but some of them particularly had it in for me and one or two other targeted unfortunates.

There was one teacher in high school -- one day he said something to me that was so vicious and soul destroying that I have never been able to forget it. I was 14. It stayed with me and made an incredibly negative impact without my even realizing how badly it was doing so.

And no, not making excuses -- this really did impact me in a way I could not shake. It was the kind of thing nobody should say to a young person trying to cope and find their way.

that sick f**k! :evil:
they love the sense of power they get from it.

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2016, 1:25 am

Most of my teachers have been fine, but some of them would write complaints about my behavior even though I did nothing wrong. I got yelled at for reading after I had done and handed in a test and still had ten minutes left. There were also a lot of cases where I was punished for something but they never explained what I was doing wrong.
The administration at most of the schools I went to was awful. Completely ignoring my IEP, antagonizing my mom, sticking me with an aide who tried to help me with things I already knew how to do, didn't help me with anything I actually needed help with, and was just generally condescending.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2016, 7:33 am

Yes. But just like the bullying I received from other children, when I tried to report it I was told it was my fault.