Page 4 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Dr.Pepper
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Oct 2016, 7:41 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
....so what is the first thought you get when some guy you have on fb suddenly messages you all of the sudden?

I think "Oh, goody! A message!"

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 4:27 am

Dr.Pepper wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
....so what is the first thought you get when some guy you have on fb suddenly messages you all of the sudden?

Do you rarely receive one?

I am noticing a pattern here....

Dr.Pepper
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Oct 2016, 9:45 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Dr.Pepper wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Do you rarely receive one?

I am noticing a pattern here....

Yes, I rarely receive one. This is probably because I tend to send friend requests to people I meet IRL, and if we need to communicate, we use email or talk face-to-face.

Dr.Pepper
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Oct 2016, 10:25 am

Jono wrote:
I found this article about how to date on Facebook. What do you think of it?:

http://www.askmen.com/dating/dating_advice_600/640_facebook-dating.html

This comment by the author is harsh and is extreme. S/He may have been exaggerating the reaction for entertainment value. Comments like this may lead male readers to believe all women think like this, and may lead female readers to believe reacting to a man in this way (very degrading) is okay:

"Not only did he come across as immature, idiotic and almost brain-dead, but he also successfully turned me off."

The whole mindset of the article, and likely the website, stresses differences instead of finding commonalities between men and women. This separation opens the door to objectification by one gender of another. It promotes a rift between people as opposed to bringing people closer together, which should be the goal when attempting to facilitate one gender's understanding of another for the purpose of relationships.

There were some points I agreed with. Keeping the wall appropriate to the audience and not lying on the profile are probably the best takeaways.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 3:13 pm

Dr.Pepper wrote:
Jono wrote:

This comment by the author is harsh and is extreme. S/He may have been exaggerating the reaction for entertainment value. Comments like this may lead male readers to believe all women think like this, and may lead female readers to believe reacting to a man in this way (very degrading) is okay:

"Not only did he come across as immature, idiotic and almost brain-dead, but he also successfully turned me off."

The whole mindset of the article, and likely the website, stresses differences instead of finding commonalities between men and women. This separation opens the door to objectification by one gender of another. It promotes a rift between people as opposed to bringing people closer together, which should be the goal when attempting to facilitate one gender's understanding of another for the purpose of relationships.

There were some points I agreed with. Keeping the wall appropriate to the audience and not lying on the profile are probably the best takeaways.

They always have this tone in such articles.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 4:23 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Dr.Pepper wrote:
Jono wrote:

They always have this tone in such articles.

That's cause if their readers were happy and confident they wouldn't read their articles anymore