High School is stressful need help

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Toadasp
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Oct 2016, 3:59 pm

I don't know how to start this and have limited time so I'll cut to the chase. High school is very stressful. I have trouble focusing on my work in class and always end up worrying about my work or wanting to think about Pokémon. I often have to go home early because of stress this happens almost every other day. In many of my classes I just have no idea what to do and the teachers assume we know certain things because even though this was my first year at a regular high school I'm in 10th grade due to spending 9th at a school for kids with severe problems due to my anger problems in the past. Homework is even worse since even though I may have it written down and try to do it I usually panic because I don't understand. I'm scared to ask for help because I am too scared because then other kids may make fun of me and I honestly don't really know what to tell the teacher because I have no clue where to begin. And when I do start my work I have the same attention problems as in school. I am very worried I'm not going to have time to create my competitive Pokemon team because of school. I probably missed some things because I frankly don't always remember my problems.

Warriorgoddess
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Oct 2016, 9:51 pm

Hey feel free to talk.. Me too i have aspergers and i can't finish college:(

Rachel184
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Oct 2016, 7:20 am

Oh, high school stress. I know how it feels. It's hell, and I don't know why no one has thought of an education system that won't destroys teens' mental health. Anyway, sounds like you're having a lot of trouble. I know there's a lot of stigma around it and this answer probably sounds so cliché, but you could always find a therapist or a school counsellor to talk to. They might be able to help you, and if the idea doesn't freak you out, you might be able to take some medication to help you. Other than that, just take a deep breath, do something to relax when you're home from school, listen to some calming music, or anything else that helps you to unwind.

Best wishes,
Rachel

Aspertastic424
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Oct 2016, 6:35 pm

Figure out what is most important to you. Your education or what the other sh***y kids think of you.

Make a plan. Talk to your teachers. Inform them of your disability. Throw Pokemon out if you have to. Your schoolwork is very important. Act accordingly. PM me for help or advice.

Toadasp
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Oct 2016, 8:01 am

I think my main issue is that it's hard to stay focused. Feels virtually impossible, I do talk to counselors and parents but people don't seem to understand that it's impossible to focus because my mind keeps going back to interesting things

aloofdeer
Raven
Raven

21 Oct 2016, 10:34 am

I understand a lot of what you are going through. High school was very hard for me and It was almost impossible for me to stay focused. If you are worried that kids may make fun of you for asking for help I suggest meeting the teacher alone to ask any questions if that's possible for you. Maybe you could relate your interest in Pokemon to your work somehow to make it more interesting to you.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2016, 9:32 pm

I think you should talk to your teacher(s) or have your parent/parents talk to your teacher(s). High school is stressful enough without making the sort of leap between the learning environments you described. Once your teacher is updated on your situation, ask that they write down the homework for you, and if possible, give it to you at the beginning of class instead of the end. That way, you can figure out what your learning objectives are and you'll have time to ask about any unclear turns of phrase. With the objectives in mind, you may be able to take better notes.

You will need to ask for help. It is literally part of your job description (as a student) to ask questions, and especially ask for explanations. It is literally your teachers job to provide answers and explanations. You don't need to ask the other students though.

It sounds to me like Pokemon is a form of escape for you. There's nothing wrong with that. That can be healthy and good. But it is understandable and a bit of a problem if you're so stressed out that your mind goes right to Pokemon as a sort of defensive measure rather than remaining engaged with the source of your stress- the class itself. I think you'll be better able to focus and better able to engage when you bring the stress level of the environment down.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2016, 10:25 pm

I agree mostly with Aspertastic except I don't think throwing out Pokemon is a realistic option. So, Pokemon has to be your reward after you have made yourself focus on your work. You could set up a schedule for yourself.
For instance, when you get home from trying your best at school then you can take an honest half hour to focus on Pokemon. Then put it away and focus on your homework. It might help if you set up a special place where you do your homework. Try to make it comfortable but not so much that it makes you sleepy. No television or fun things. Make sure that you cannot see any Pokemon distractions. When you have a problem with your homework then you should google the problem to see if an explanation anywhere online will help you. Kahn's academy is a great place to listen and learn about high school subjects. There are also usually tutors available through school or the local library. Spend an hour on homework then take another half hour for your Pokemon. At first you may struggle but don't focus on the struggle just get back to work on your homework every time you realize your mind is wandering. You may need some medications to help you focus. I've heard they can be very effective. You should also visit your class as suggested above when noone is around to talk to your teacher(s) about your issues right away. The sooner you go then the more they can help you as you will keep falling further behind otherwise. People cannot read your mind and know your problems so please help them out.

GMUnicorns
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Nov 2016, 9:22 pm

First, talk to your teachers. They might be able to help. Maybe not, but you have to give them the chance. This is obviously not sustainable.
Second, can you use Pokemon in your work? Like in Math, create or modify word questions to include a Pokemon theme so your brain will be a bit more interested. Try to link everything into your interests. I have found that reward systems freak me out because I am actually incapable to doing whatever it is to get the reward, but linking into interests really works for me at least.
Third, is there a teacher/tutor/parent/other adult who can help boost your confidence by linking your homework with interests and working it through with you?
Fourth, how do you learn? Do you learn from charts and infographics, from flashcards, from reading textbooks, kinaestetically (it means you have to move. Get someone to read your homework out to you while you throw a ball or something, then you can answer while you move around), from listening, by rote, or by a combination? Figure it out, and supplement your learning in class with whatever study method works for you.
Hope this helps, good luck!

Toadasp
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Nov 2016, 10:35 am

I've talked to many of My teachers and I get lots of help, it's really hard to describe my problem, when I try working I just panic because it just doesn't click with me. I think part of it is that I just internally don't want to, I know I have to but there is always the voice telling me not to. this voice is incredibly distracting and makes it hard to do any non preferred activity. I worry about everything I'm doing even fun stuff, my mind always wants to think about negative things and problem solve. I usually only want to solve problems others haven't solved, which means it's always something I can't do anything about. I talk to my parents and the school counselor but no one seems to understand. They just say to think about something else but I just can't because I've tried it too many times and it never works.

Toadasp
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Nov 2016, 10:40 am

To add more detail I really have no idea how to study or what works for me

Toadasp
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Nov 2016, 10:44 am

And I definitely am not throwing pokemon out the window, I've thought of it, but it's just too fun and my friends and I play it together