Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2016, 3:54 pm

I just had to cancel my check card, and here's why.
I've been locked out of my online account for a few months. Not sure why, but it's probably not related to the theft and more about me being stupid.
I haven't been able to look at my statements during that time, so I didn't notice any problems until today.
Somebody had stolen my card information from a hidden strip inside a vending machine, and have been helping themselves to soda ever since, but never too much at once because otherwise I would have noticed.
This mistake cost me almost 50 dollars.

How could I have prevented this, and how can you keep your information safe (from this specific problem)?
*NEVER use your card in a vending machine. Keep paper money in your wallet in case of soda emergency. It's too easy to hid information-gathering technology in the slots there, since they're not frequently checked on.
*Check your account balance frequently. Not only will this keep you from forgetting your password, it will also help you catch problems like this before they get too expensive.
*Write things down. Keep track of everything. Every account number, every password, every transaction. Keep it somewhere out of the way but where you can remember that it's there.