New Zealand 18 year old Autistic put in prison - Complicated

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2016, 1:53 am

Autistic man abandoned by services, says mother The family of a young man with autism who spent four nights in prison feel let down by IHC, which was meant to support them, his mother says

Quote:
The 18-year-old man was kept at a secure unit at Whanganui Prison after he allegedly assaulted his mother.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2016, 8:42 am

It sounds like what happens in the USA--you turn 18 and your access to services goes away. This can be especially hard on people who can't handle change. Know any aspies like that? In this case, he turned violent, which made things even harder. Nobody likes to touch domestic violence cases--I think most cops would rather go after bank robbers or home invaders.

But, this is what politicians often mean by getting rid of big government--getting rid of entitlement programs that take care of individuals that can't take care of themselves. Who wants to pay taxes to support such programs?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2016, 12:32 am

Systemic change' needed for those with autism in New Zealand, advocate says

Quote:
Autism NZ chief executive Dane Dougan said situations like the teen's had happened before.

"There are a number of cases where people with autism slip through the cracks and do not get the support they need.

"It's an unfortunately common thing to hear that there is not enough respite care available."

The issue would only grow as higher-needs autism sufferers got older, he said.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2016, 2:50 am

Man if I was beating on my mother, I would have been kicked in the streets as an adult. As a juvenile, hospital. Adult, streets. My mom has low tolerance for abuse. But not all parents are willing to do that to their kids, especially if they have a disability. I don't think my mom would care though if I were abusing her because she would have been more concerned for her safety than me and what could happen.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2016, 2:52 am

BTDT wrote:
It sounds like what happens in the USA--you turn 18 and your access to services goes away. This can be especially hard on people who can't handle change. Know any aspies like that? In this case, he turned violent, which made things even harder. Nobody likes to touch domestic violence cases--I think most cops would rather go after bank robbers or home invaders.

But, this is what politicians often mean by getting rid of big government--getting rid of entitlement programs that take care of individuals that can't take care of themselves. Who wants to pay taxes to support such programs?

Since there are lack of services, I think the best the police could do was put him behind bars for the mother's safety because where else could they put him? It's either leave him at home where he could continue hurting his mother or put him behind bars where they can hold him and to ensure he won't harm his mother and family members.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

MadeinHisimage
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Oct 2016, 5:24 am

I'm in New Zealand. Yes, that is what it is. They needed to keep him from hurting anyone. But I hope they can find a solution.
There are no providers for intellectually disabled people who can be violent sometimes.
There's been a lot of campaigning about a man named Ashley Peacock who's been treated like a prisoner in a mental health facility for decades because he could kick people when he's having a meltdown.

Human beings need to be treated like human beings. The options in place for these people aren't good enough. Here, or in many other places.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 12:58 am

At last there is some progress to report on this.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=11823161

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 3:03 am

Thanks for the positive update.