Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

mended
Raven
Raven

23 Oct 2016, 12:36 pm

My purpose is to pass on my genes. Having produced some children it is now necessary that I continue to nurture them into people that others will want to procreate with thus sending my genes still further into the future. So I'm just another animal.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2016, 2:55 pm

I agree that there's no purpose outside of the framework of arbitrary goals we set ourselves.
There used to be a god we could serve, but then we killed him, and now we have to make up our own rules and purpose.

I'm about to embark on an adventure, work-wise, in a third-world country for several months, and depending on how it goes, potentially several years. Mind you, I'm autistic, and the idea of a densely populated tropical country with unreliable electricity, water supply and health services- not to mention the total disregard of traffic rules- scares the living s**t out of me. I'm prone to depression and previous long-term stints in foreign countries have always broken me, taking years to recover (though never fully).
I'm very torn about it, and in contrary to what friends and family say about it, I don't actually think it is a great thing to do. Neither were previous adventures great things to do.
But I definitely believe it will be a great thing to have done.
as were previous adventures.

I talked to a friend about it, he did a similar thing a few years back. And he agreed, that that was a good way to express it and added: "some things are measured that way".
to which I answered: "I think it's life that's measured that way."