M in The Middle - Autistic teens relate experiences in novel

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2016, 9:49 am

Schoolgirls with autism share experiences in young adult novel M in the Middle draws on ups and downs of Limpsfield Grange schoolgirls’ lives and how autism is different for girls

Quote:
According to the NAS 2012 survey of 8,000 people with autism, just 8% of girls with Asperger syndrome were diagnosed before six years old, compared with 25% of boys. Only 21% of girls with Asperger’s were diagnosed by the age of 11, compared with 52% of boys. Many adult women who took part in the survey didn’t have a diagnosis at all: 10% compared with 5% of males.

Quote:
The NAS survey suggests that 42% of females have been misdiagnosed, compared with 30% of males. Many women remain undiagnosed well into late adulthood until they self-diagnose: females in the NAS survey were more likely to have paid for their diagnosis (14% of females, compared with 9% of males).

Quote:
But momentum for change is starting to gather pace: in January, the National Association of Headteachers is holding a girls on the autism spectrum conference to prepare a call for action on the issue.

Before that, on 8 November, there is a private House of Lords round table organised by the autism and girls forum – itself set up just 18 months ago.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman