Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2016, 10:33 am

I've attempted to make threads like this in the past, but hopefully I'll have more luck this time.
So, calling all FFVII fans! Please discuss favourite parts, favourite characters, favourite materia, fond memories playing the game for the first time--anything and everything! The only thing outlawed here is complaining about how bad the game is, because I'm tired of people doing that over and over again.
So, to share a memory of mine: It was in 2013 or so when I first got into Final Fantasy, and I went backwards; I looked at Dirge of Cerberus, decided that Vincent was cool, watched Advent Children then the Complete version [in Japanese], then bought a PSP just to play FFVII, and then eventually realized that Cloud was a true hero--an unusual and unique hero, but a hero none the less.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2016, 6:35 pm

Well, if no one posts, I think I'll turn this thread into a FFVII music tribute.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 10:46 am

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2016, 7:16 pm

I'm completing a playthrough of FFVII using a highly limited number of Materia:
Enemy Skill [+ Manipulate]
Steal and Steal As Well
HP and MP Plus
Luck Plus and Magic Plus [possibly]
Counter Attack
Cover
Long Range
Added Cut [+ Deathblow]
Slash-All
Double Cut
Morph
Mime [possibly]
All [for selling]

I'm not sure whether to include HP and MP Absorb Materia in the list, since I don't really need them.

dan_aspie
Raven
Raven

13 Nov 2016, 7:24 pm

I played this game for such a long time when I had a PS1, way back when. It was genuinely fun.

This HD remake could be of interest. I hope it has a PC version.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2016, 7:29 pm

Even though I only became interested in Final Fantasy VII back in 2013, it feels like an integral part of my childhood. Cloud and Tifa are the childhood heroes I never had. Then again, childhood is a state of being. :D

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2016, 6:14 am

I liked the atmosphere of ff7, the blend of music, imagery, and storyline it had. I actually made the leap from ff1, so I was blown away by everything I saw. Cloud had less than stellar social skills, so naturally I found him to be very relateable. The storytelling was as intriguing as the story itself, it unravelled in a way that made you curious for more.

The music really carried the game, I'm still amazed years later at how much the music helped set the mood of the places and situations you'd run across. As much as people praised the storyline, and the characters, it was the music that really sealed the deal on this game, it would have been a different experience without it.

I am not a fan of moody antagonists, or fantasy-infused sci-fi anymore. I am not going to play ff15, but I am seriously tempted by the ff7 remake.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2016, 10:24 am

I can play Cloud's Theme, Tifa's Theme, Aeris' Theme, and Cloud Smiles on the piano. :D

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 5:23 am

Thats one way to take up music :) Lifestream was a moving track for me, if that doesn't make you care about a fictional planet, then you're probably a Jenovan lol. I like how they used the music to connect you through out the game and not just at certain points. Like "under the rotting pizza" most games just settle for filler material, but Nobuo Uematsu made you feel like those slums had a history.

It's interesting you got in to ff7 in 2013, that's about when I gave up on the ff series matching 7. Coincidentially, I don't recall other games in the series having as good of a score that 7 did. Tactics is a close 2nd, have you played it?

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2016, 3:24 pm

You know you play too much FFVII when...you read a 'Jehovah's Witness' sign as 'Jenova's Witness'. 8O
I could be called a Final Fantasy fan, yet I've never once finished an actual game.
FF1: I didn't even get to the first dungeon
FF2: Never played
FF3: I bought the DS version thinking it was FF6
FF4: I got to the second dungeon, got lost, and promptly gave up
FF5: Never played
FF6: I got fairly far, but suddenly stopped
FF7: Crisis Core: I played through the whole game on mute because I couldn't stand the English voices
FF7: One every playthrough, I get to the Northern Crater, but never actually go in
FF8: Never played
FF9: I played a bit, but then got stuck and stopped
FF10: I don't have the system required to play it
FF11, 12, and 14: I don't have any interest in playing these
FF13: I can't stand this game! :x Nor do I ever want to play it
FF15: :shrug:
FFTactics: I played a bit, but then stopped

As for my favourite music...4, 6, 9, and 10 have the second best music after 7. Have you seen Advent Children [Complete]? I only watch it in Japanese; I translated the whole script myself after I grew extremely annoyed that the subtitles were only for the English dub.

Cloud and Tifa are my favourite video game couple by far [Zack and Aeris get second place, with Elena and Aeron from Pandora's Tower coming in third.
I love how Cloud, Tifa, Marlene, and Denzel all feel like a true family, which is something that rarely happens in video games [or manga or anime, for that matter].

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2016, 11:59 am

Very ironic that you haven't finished any, why haven't you gone into the Northern Crater?

I just watched a preview of the remake, I don't like the way they tweaked the music, it sounds like I'm watching some blockbuster. I found out that Nobuo Uematsu isn't the composer for the series either, I sure hope they don't treat the music like an afterthought.

Your instincts about 13 served you well, I played 2 hours of that game before quitting, the voice acting is part of what did it. Fake accents are too much 8O

I'm impressed that you translated FF7 Advent Children. You put more energy into this hobby than I ever did (which makes it even more surprising you've never finished a game).

FF8 was fun, you could summon whenever you wanted (although there was some kind of catch). It was more light hearted than 7, although Squall was a real sour-puss.

FF Tactics is very enjoyable in its own way, its much better than 8 too. You fight on a map/plane and use more strategy than other ff games, you can also give your characters job roles they can level up in. The plot and music are both captivating, this is another one of those games where the gloves come off.

I beat ff1 years ago, it was a fun game at the time and really a one of a kind. But once I got exposed to 7, I just couldn't appreciate the previous titles. As much as I liked battles and levelling up, I liked the atmosphere the newer games had.

I'm not sure what to make of 15 either, it looks like 4 guys on a road trip lol.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2016, 1:15 pm

I guess I don't want the game to end! :lol: I spend around 60-70 hours on one playthrough, but the most I've ever played on a game is probably 200+ hours [on Rune Factory 4], and even more than that on Pokemon Pearl [my first video game ever].
If they treated the music like an afterthought, the fans will riot. Actually, they'll probably riot no matter what Square Enix does. :lol:
The single part I like about FFXIII is Fang and Vanille [mainly because I like Yuri couples...or implied Yuri couples... :mrgreen: ]
I have the script saved on Google Docs if you'd like a link.
I...don't like Squall much....at all. I found the 'Squall Is Dead' Theory quite intriguing; here's a link if you haven't heard of it: [warning, intense nightmare fuel] http://squallsdead.com/
I actually bought a PSP just to play FFVII. :D [Then I bought FFIV, FFVI, FFIX, and...Castlevania Symphony of The Night, of all things.]

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2016, 5:10 am

FF7 didn't offer much closure at the end anyway. I think its part of the reason why fans have been wanting remakes and sequels for so long. Another reason I like 7 more than the other titles was the grittiness, it wasn't afraid of letting good guys get killed, that approach really made the struggle feel more epic and the antagonists worth fighting.

The Squall is Dead theory is compelling, it actually makes him a little more likeable; instead of being a grouchy ingrate, he's just a loner who realizes things aren't adding up.

I might get the ff7 remake for old times sake, but honestly I wouldn't go for another adventure/rpg game unless the technology was there for actual exploring and fighting. At my age, I can't afford to binge play through videogames anymore.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2016, 11:06 am

Have you read the 'Case of' short stories? I have them all saved on Google Docs. I also made my own FFVII walkthrough, based on how I like to play [barely any materia apart from and mainly relying on Limit Breaks or Enemy Skill Materia.

Enemy Skill [+ Manipulate]
Steal
Steal As Well
HP and MP Plus
Luck Plus and Magic Plus [possibly]
Counter Attack
Cover
Long Range
Added Cut [+ Deathblow]
Slash-All
Double Cut
Morph
All [for selling]

My favourite combination for Tifa is: Deathblow + Slash-All 4 + All + God Hand

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2016, 9:19 pm

I've been playing FF XV and bought the in game item of the FFVII to listen to instead of the incredibly annoying music that comes with the game =D

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2016, 8:56 am

I've never heard of those short stories. That's an interesting way to play, are there any good enemy skills? I got into poaching in order to get the attribute enhancement drinks, I've never done much with Enemy Skill materia though.

That answers the question about the ff15 music, I was starting to watch a playthough to see what it was like, but the guy kept talking and it was really annoying.