Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

BAP_Buddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2016, 5:11 pm

The most important nutrients, especially for heavier periods, would probably be Vitamin K (helps blood coagulate) and Iron. Though it's probably good to stay well-nourished overall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_K#Food_sources

http://www.webmd.com/diet/iron-rich-foods#1

Spinach might be the best overall, having a high amount of Vitamin K and is a good source of iron. All leafy greens, but especially watercress and kale, are high in K. Beef and chicken are listed as high in iron, so maybe a burger or chicken sandwich with these veggies would be ideal/helpful.

Some can have stomach/digestive issues, so maybe avoid spicy stuff (or whatever would irritate the individual).

Any other suggestions?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2016, 10:29 am

I always let myself indulge in cravings at least to some degree. It makes me feel good and makes me less likely to binge from feeling deprived. I tend to eat chocolate and salty foods like olives in small amounts.

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2016, 11:47 pm

Lots of water helps to ease cramps. I've never had issue with bloating, so I'm not sure if it would worsen that. I don't change my diet too much while on my period, but I may have to try finding a source of vitamin K that doesn't make me gag. I'm not a fan of leafy greens.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 12:37 pm

This is good. I tend to stick to a VERY healthy diet when I'm on a period, greens and a lot of fruit/potatoes/water.
It helps sooo much and it certainly brings the bloating & pain down. I stay away from meat though because it's got too much fat in it which bloats and you can get way more minerals from plant food. I follow a strict professional cyclist diet so meat is completely off the table as it makes me sluggish and feel like crap.

I'm getting my body better still from when the pill wrecked it, never taking that poison ever again because it completely screwed my hormonal system and gave me thyroid problems. It is basically steroids imo. Not to mention the side effects the doctors won't tell you the full extent of. Being as natural as possible when it comes to health is 100% what I'd rather do.

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 1:17 pm

Strawberry pie.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 1:23 pm

A big, juicy, rare steak.
And chocolate.
And the heads of my enemies. Mwahahaha! :twisted: