Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2016, 1:15 am

Do you have a problem with the feel of some clothes? I can't say it's been a major problem for me ,except at prep school I had one football shirt I absolutely hated wearing. I have no idea what it was made of but the urge to scratch when wearing it was intense. I used to dread it when I had to wear the coloured shirt.

I also have a thing about clothes being too tight around the neck area. Also not keen on clothes with patterns or logos, though I have a t shirt from a mental health charity with large lettering.

rabryst
Raven
Raven

11 Nov 2016, 1:30 am

All the time. I can't wear sleeves that touch the inside of my elbows, and all of my clothes have to be soft cotton or microfibre.

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Nov 2016, 2:31 am

I don't like fine polyester at all, especially on sheets etc - I always have to have 100% cotton sheets and duvet covers. Same with any clothes that touch my skin. I don't like long sleeves because they feel constrictive around my wrists so I always roll them up. I'm not so bad with tags nowadays, if they're really soft, but would always need them removed as a child. Seams on socks must run over the toe and not be at the end. I also hate it if socks fall down and crumple under my feet. In fact, I prefer to be barefoot if possible - that's the only good thing about summer! Anything constrictive around my neck (polonecks, turtlenecks, shirts done up to the top, ties, t-shirts with small necks) is pretty much a no-no. I really hate bright, metallic details, like zips and buttons. Jewellery is a real no-no - I can't even touch that stuff. Wool; I even dislike wearing soft merino but I can put up with it when climbing as it works really well and it's only for a few hours. I'm funny with logos as well. Certain ones I'm fine with (they tend to be single colour), but I hate flashy ones. I couldn't even imagine wearing those shirts with gold or silver logos - yuck!

I think that's about it :)

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2016, 8:11 am

I can't stand fabrics that are rough and scratchy against my skin, which would include some of the older pure wools from longer ago, which were harsh and not soft. One of the most lasting memories of my childhood in terms of issues with fabric, is a pair of tartan/plaid wool trousers that were like that felted, boiled wool and felt horrible on my little two year old legs.

I also couldn't stand the grip of the metal wire inside the edge of a woolly hat; the wire gripped around my face to keep the hat on, and I remember actually sitting in my pram (the old fashioned baby buggies in the 50s and 60s and prior) pulling the hat off repeatedly and my mother getting impatient and not understanding that I wasn't just being a monkey, I literally couldn't tolerate the hat.

I have to cut most labels out unless they are sewn in a very flat manner and are soft instead of stiff and poking out.

I don't like anything that restricts my neck or rests on the center part of my collarbone right at the base of the neck. I try to wear turtleneck things in winter because they are cosier at keeping drafts out, but I'm always dragging the front of the neck away from my skin because I can feel it touching that bit.

I prefer loose-fitting clothes because anything skin hugging either makes me feel itchy or I keep wanting to pull one side of it away from my skin while I'm fine with the other side of my body having it close. Sometimes the side has changed. At the moment I don't mind things fitting close on the right side of my body, but I pull at things on the left side -- with the exception of socks. I need my left sock to be pulled tight up my foot and leg, but my right sock to be looser but not too loose. I can't stand for socks on either side to start sagging and bagging.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2016, 3:30 pm

Hate socks and shoes. Never wear socks at home and at work I have my shoes off under my desk much of the time.

Also just fine the neck of all shirts uncomfortable. I spend much of my day picking at the collar of shirts as I hate them.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 4:34 pm

I do not like trousers or anything round my neck like polo necks. Or clothes that don't sit right or tshirts that are too short.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 4:43 pm

For me, if I'm going to wear a T-shirt underneath a sweater, the sweater has to be a V-neck, and the shirt can't have any detail up top in a way that it would be visible peeking out over the sweater. I also don't like jeans that are too tight or too long. This may not have to do with feel, but for some reason, wearing patterned underwear, or underwear that's too brightly coloured, makes me uncomfortable. There was a time when I wouldn't wear pants with snaps at all because they were uncomfortable to me.

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 6:27 pm

I can be sensitive to the texture of clothes.

I never liked lace or stockings as a child. It could have been an initial red flag for autism, along with picky eating, if the adults in my life had known to look for autism spectrum disorder symptoms.

I still don't much like feeling seams, tags or creases in my clothing. I've gotten used to stockings and I can stand lace. There are those times when it feels like the thread used to sew seams and tags in feels like fishing line or wire and I can't cope.

But yeah, I really need clothing to be comfortable, it's the first factor in deciding what to wear. Next is color. I wear the required uniform at work but I am in such a hurry to get out of that polo shirt at the end of my shift every day! It's more important than dinner.

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 6:43 pm

Sweatshirts/pants and hoodies that get too much pilling are very scratchy to me.
I don't like wearing pants too high up on my waist or too low on my hips. I'm very particular about pants.
Collared shirts are awful.
Blouses as well because of the buttons.
Bras are hard to shop for because the ones in my size are too frilly or have weird shapes. I actually have no problem with bras as long as they fit right. I barely notice them. I'm not a "free the nipple" person.
Bathing suits? Forget it. I have an outfit that I don't mind getting wet, and that's what I wear while swimming. Bikinis leave me too exposed and one pieces are hard to find.
I'm 6 foot tall so finding winter clothes that don't leave an inch or so exposed skin around my wrists and ankles is the worst.
Women's dress shoes suuuuck for so many reasons.

So basically every time I have to dress like an actual woman I have problems with clothes.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 6:58 pm

I don't like wearing layers; it makes me extremely uncomfortable.
It's a bit of a problem this time of year because it means I can't wear anything under a jumper (except underwear lol), and if I want to wear a coat then I have to have a sleeveless dress underneath so I don't have sleeves-on-sleeves. I'm usually a little bit cold as a result but it's better than feeling trapped by my own clothes lol. The only exception is ballet clothes; layers on top of a leotard don't count because it feels like a second skin.

My perfect outfit comfort-wise would be a boy's jumper, tights and short-shorts. Practical, comfortable, aesthetically pleasing too.

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2016, 6:19 pm

I can deal with sleeves-under-sleeves if I can pull the inner sleeve down so it doesn't ruck up under the outer. I have to wear layers at work, the uniform is a short-sleeve polo. The office is way too cold for bare arms, even in summer due to air conditioning. Often even with three layers--a long-sleeve tight T-Shirt, the uniform polo and the Polar-Tek jacket (also work-issued with the company logo, we aren't allowed any other jacket during working hours) usually I'm too cold. Especially in the break room at lunch time. Brrrrrrrr.

rats_and_cats, if you wash sweats inside out they are a lot less likely to get that scratchy pilling on the inside. At least, it takes longer.

I too think women's clothes and women's shoes are usually ridiculously uncomfortable. Men's clothes are functional and comfortable. Women's clothes have to be pretty and sexy. :roll:

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support