Is there still a way to print pictures from Pokemon Snap?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Midnightstar16
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2016, 4:10 pm

I have the cutest pic of a Jigglypuff singing and I really want to get it printed, but as far as I know, the only way to do that was go to BlockBuster with your cartrige and put it in the little machine... But the BlockBuster in my town (yes, we do have one, along with a really tiny Circut City) got rid of theirs ages ago... Or I could just go down the ghetto route and take a picture of the TV... but still! :(

Earthbound
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2016, 7:35 pm

I suppose if you hooked your TV up to the computer somehow, you could get a better image of it and just print it out that way? I'm not completely sure.. I'm not a tech expert.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2016, 7:52 pm

Other than buying the actual printer, google suggests emulation using Emu ROMs or its much better to record N64 gameplay through recording hardware such as a HD-PVR in high definition under signal conversion to HDMI then edit that file to get the pictures you wish.

There maybe a way to extract the files using n64 memory pac to usb adapter for the authentic files. Unless someone is out there collecting the printer nearby or someone that still offers some kind of service online.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

mistersprinkles
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Nov 2016, 10:52 pm

Use a capture card

Midnightstar16
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2016, 10:57 pm

Yeah, these make sense, but I have no idea how to connect my TV to a computer.. and I diddnt even know they made capture cards for N64.

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2016, 4:04 pm

I think smart TV's can take screenshots? Put a USB stick in the TV, take a screenshot, and then put the USB stick in a computer and then print the image.

KWC10
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Nov 2016, 5:18 am

if your playing on the wii you can save pics to a SD card on that version

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2016, 4:29 pm

I'd say a capture card would be the easiest option, but if you had access to a cartridge copier that could read save files, then theoretically that could get you the best quality. I don't think you'd actually have to run it in an emulator either, though it would probably require some knowledge of things like hex editors assuming that no one's made a program for this.

Actually going further on the emulation note, I've heard the only way of emulating Pokemon Snap in a playable state is to run the Wii virtual console version in Dolphin. N64 emulation as it has existed for the last ~17 years has been largely a patchwork of hacks, with no "true" playable emulators really existing. By a "true" emulator, I mean something that can run any arbitrary piece of software a real N64 can run without game-specific hacks, compatibility fixes, etc. This means programs like Project64, 1964, Daedalus, and even Mupen are excluded. Cen64 is shaping up pretty nicely, though it has ludicrous system requirements and the only way it can really be made playable is with a crude multiprocessing hack.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2016, 10:41 pm

Midnightstar16 wrote:
Yeah, these make sense, but I have no idea how to connect my TV to a computer.. and I diddnt even know they made capture cards for N64.

Well, technically any capture card that takes composite input (the red, white, and yellow cables) will work for the N64 (and SNES, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, and any other console that has composite video). Actually, you really just need the yellow cable if you don't need to capture audio. A smart TV might be another option. I've never used one, so I don't know if they can capture screenshots or not. If Pokemon Snap was released today, I'm sure they would've added functionality to share pictures on the internet.

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Actually going further on the emulation note, I've heard the only way of emulating Pokemon Snap in a playable state is to run the Wii virtual console version in Dolphin. N64 emulation as it has existed for the last ~17 years has been largely a patchwork of hacks, with no "true" playable emulators really existing. By a "true" emulator, I mean something that can run any arbitrary piece of software a real N64 can run without game-specific hacks, compatibility fixes, etc. This means programs like Project64, 1964, Daedalus, and even Mupen are excluded. Cen64 is shaping up pretty nicely, though it has ludicrous system requirements and the only way it can really be made playable is with a crude multiprocessing hack.

That's not necessary. Running an emulator inside of another emulator is not a good idea. Pokemon Snap works just fine in Project64 as long as you've enabled "Copy framebuffer to RDRAM" in the advanced graphics settings.

Midnightstar16
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2016, 6:37 pm

W A I T ! !

There's a minigame in Sun and Moon based on Pokemon Snap (I've only heard about it, I have both the games but I'm not allowed to play them until Christmas), but is there a way to print from that? :mrgreen:

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

13 Dec 2016, 9:14 am

Well, if you have $2,200 on hand...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-Snap-St ... SwOyJX3hrV

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2016, 10:20 am

Emulating. If you own the game it isn't illegial.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2016, 12:16 pm

Pieplup wrote:
Emulating. If you own the game it isn't illegial.

It's a LOT more complicated than that, and the laws vary from country to country. From my understanding, even ripping a rom or iso of a game you own is technically illegal, as it violates the EULA blah blah blah, but unless you're making money off of it, no one really cares.

On their website, Nintendo alleges that copying and emulation of its games isn't legal, but the explanation they give is greatly oversimplified (and of questionable accuracy IMO, seriously, I'd like a copyright lawyer take a look at it some time), and more or less they're just trying to discourage people from downloading roms.

Nintendo actually went after rom sites back in the late 90s (keep in mind; N64 emulation took off early thanks to UltraHLE, and at this point they were STILL supporting the Famicom and Super Famicom in Japan, as well as the SNES in North America), but eventually they mostly gave up since they found their efforts to be futile. They'll still order rom sites to take down their Nintendo games once in a while, but it's quite rare when it happens.

Unless you're running a rom site or selling bootleg games, I wouldn't really be too fussed about it myself.

saxgeek wrote:
Midnightstar16 wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

That's not necessary. Running an emulator inside of another emulator is not a good idea. Pokemon Snap works just fine in Project64 as long as you've enabled "Copy framebuffer to RDRAM" in the advanced graphics settings.

I've actually heard people argue that Nintendo's VC N64 emulator is one of the best out there, and that it's worth running Dolphin to use it. Of course, the "Copy framebuffer to RDRAM" option in PJ64 makes sense too... not that I'm a fan of Project64. It's hard to explain, but it goes back to the halcyon days when I first got into N64 emulation.

Nekomonster wrote:

I'd like to see someone disassemble one of these and reverse engineer it. It would be cool to learn how they pulled the info off the cartridge and printed it out.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2016, 11:44 pm

I adored this gem of a game! Snapping those reluctant blue cretins POLIWAG by the river was always a tough task.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2016, 6:46 pm

Yeah, emulation law is a legal gray area. It varies from country to country, and some areas don't specify one way or the other. I use it mainly for the convenience, to take screenshots and videos, test homebrew development, and hack games. You can run the Wii VC in Dolphin, but it takes orders of magnitude more CPU power than just using a Nintendo 64 emulator. It's basically converting MIPS code to PowerPC code, then to x86 code, while a N64 emulator for the PC just converts MIPS code to x86 code.

Midnightstar16, you should post a picture of the Jigglypuff here, anyway. I'm sure it still looks cute even through the TV screen.