Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

VYcma
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Nov 2016, 9:50 am

I believe I have generalized anxiety disorder and it's ruining my life. Most things out of the ordinary "scare" me. I feel "fear" from thinking of things I don't want to do. Sometimes I don't feel well and I must go out to walk the dog, and I fear I will meet people and have an awkward conversation with them because I'm forced to talk to them if I don't want to sound rude.

I believe I have a trauma from school. Since I tried taking math courses with a personal teacher, every time I come to their house I am more anxious than the last time, to the point I cannot go anymore. I'm not sure why and how since I love learning. I guess I really don't like sitting on a chair for 30 minutes to 1 hour focusing even though I do that all the time at home, on a computer. I can't seem to force myself to learn on a computer either... I just play video games and google questions I have about anything.

If I come to need to go somewhere I don't know, I feel fear. To talk to someone even if I somewhat know them, to go to an appointment or even just do something I don't want to do, I am afraid.

There's no "what if" in my mind, I "know it will be this way" and most of the time I am right.

I just started seeing a cognitive behavioral therapist and I will soon try cannabidiol oil, and hopefully I won't feel fear from simple things anymore, one day.

I'd like your thoughts on why I feel more and more fear when going back to a place I actually know better every time. Thank you.

Here's my ferret because I like him:

WhoNav98
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Nov 2016, 1:04 pm

I recommend an official diagnosis from a psychiatrist IF it gets worse. I have been in CBT before and I have improved my health. Hope the Cannabidiol helps.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2016, 2:26 pm

CBT is great for challenging irrational thoughts from anxiety disorders like GAD or SA. CBD oil sounds like a really good pick too. I hope they can provide you the help you need.

I too get anxious if I run into someone I know simply because I am forced to have a conversation which is usually awkward for me as well. I tend to avoid travelling in places where I might meet people I know randomly as much as I can or if I see them first and they don't see me, I'll pretend I don't see them and avoid them if I can. :D

Cute ferret btw

VYcma
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Nov 2016, 6:23 am

Thanks for the answers.

Tallman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Nov 2016, 6:56 am

Your ferret is pretty awesome :D

jcfay
Raven
Raven

28 Nov 2016, 12:34 pm

it does sound like GAD (you do a great job of describing it, by the way). I'm not sure there's an answer to the "why" question, but there certainly are plenty of options to help. CBT is definitely one. I'd suggest that you talk to a psych too, as I'm not sure what data there are to support cannabinoid oil. Don't get me wrong, it may indeed work, and perhaps there are studies that demonstrate it helps with GAD with a tolerable side-effect profile (if there are, then my bad). But there are plenty of studies of SSRIs, etc., that can help in huge ways (along with therapy) for GAD and are very well tolerated medicines. I've got it bad too, and it is getting easier.

Hang in there regardless. You're CERTAINLY not alone!

VYcma
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Nov 2016, 1:16 pm

jcfay wrote:
it does sound like GAD (you do a great job of describing it, by the way). I'm not sure there's an answer to the "why" question, but there certainly are plenty of options to help. CBT is definitely one. I'd suggest that you talk to a psych too, as I'm not sure what data there are to support cannabinoid oil. Don't get me wrong, it may indeed work, and perhaps there are studies that demonstrate it helps with GAD with a tolerable side-effect profile (if there are, then my bad). But there are plenty of studies of SSRIs, etc., that can help in huge ways (along with therapy) for GAD and are very well tolerated medicines. I've got it bad too, and it is getting easier.

Hang in there regardless. You're CERTAINLY not alone!

Thanks!

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2016, 1:21 am

VYcma wrote:
I'd like your thoughts on why I feel more and more fear when going back to a place I actually know better every time. Thank you.

Hello, I have been diagnosed with GAD and I experience the same thing. The reason is that going somewhere more than once gives me more opportunities to think of things that can go wrong and to develop a habit of worrying about that specific place.

It might even remind you of the other times you went there so that you begin to fear the familiar feeling of fear.

VYcma
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Dec 2016, 9:38 am

starkid wrote:
VYcma wrote:

Hello, I have been diagnosed with GAD and I experience the same thing. The reason is that going somewhere more than once gives me more opportunities to think of things that can go wrong and to develop a habit of worrying about that specific place.

It might even remind you of the other times you went there so that you begin to fear the familiar feeling of fear.

That's genuine, but thanks. It seems to be the case for me too.

KatyKat_721
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Dec 2016, 10:44 am

I know I typically get more anxious when I'm in a place I've been to before, because I feel like I should be more comfortable, but I'm not, and so I worry about what other people think. Like, they're looking at me thinking "Why's she so tense, she's done this before" But when I go somewhere for the first time, people are more patient, because I'm new. Does that make sense?

VYcma
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Dec 2016, 1:25 pm

KatyKat_721 wrote:
I know I typically get more anxious when I'm in a place I've been to before, because I feel like I should be more comfortable, but I'm not, and so I worry about what other people think. Like, they're looking at me thinking "Why's she so tense, she's done this before" But when I go somewhere for the first time, people are more patient, because I'm new. Does that make sense?

I guess it does since I have the same issue.

woops
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Dec 2016, 10:33 pm

I too have this issue with unremitting anxiety (I have my whole life). After all this time I'm still trying to work it out. I think sensory issues and having to multitask have more to do with it than I previously gave credit - as if by being so overwhelmed in situations around people you can't process information well enough to learn to overcome and make sense of the anxiety. It's more than just anxiety - there is a great sense of discomfort, almost worse than the anxiety. Like walking through a warzone, you just wanna get out of there and not e.g. note the terrain / record directions for future visits. Exposure does not seem to work well under these conditions, rather, you just feel worse because you feel worse because the opposite ought to be true but isn't - as a result of sensory overload/social tension...

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Dec 2016, 11:11 pm

I take the med Buspar for my GAD & it helps alot without side-effects. What I like about Buspar is that it's specially for anxiety instead of being an antidepressant or a sedative like benzodiazepines. Like antidepressants & other non benzo psych meds, Buspar has to be taken regularly for a while to notice it's full effect. Buspar can be taken with antidepressants & benzos & lots of other psych meds.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

VYcma
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Dec 2016, 11:48 am

nick007 wrote:
I take the med Buspar for my GAD & it helps alot without side-effects. What I like about Buspar is that it's specially for anxiety instead of being an antidepressant or a sedative like benzodiazepines. Like antidepressants & other non benzo psych meds, Buspar has to be taken regularly for a while to notice it's full effect. Buspar can be taken with antidepressants & benzos & lots of other psych meds.

Thanks for your input, I'll see about that medication with my psychologist.