The people that think ASD is an Excuse

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 3:48 pm

EclecticWarrior wrote:
Many moons ago I was one of those people. Now I'm not, and I'm glad I'm not.

I find it's more often parents of kids on the spectrum who use their ASDs as an excuse. Last year I saw a kid in Sainsburys screaming and hitting his mother. My mother and I looked at each other and the kid's mum shouted "HE'S AUTISTIC!" and stormed off. Still no excuse for hitting your own mother in public, and no excuse for the mother not teaching him right from wrong and teaching both him and herself how to help stop meltdowns.
Sadly, depending on what you do, and where, may lead to you being arrested.

Parents have been arrested for child neglect for just letting them play outside, in their own front yard, unattended.

All it takes is one nut to see something out of context, make a complaint and the police have to act upon it.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 4:03 pm

ArielsSong wrote:

It seemed like parents of autistic children used it as an excuse not to discipline their children and set limits, or as an excuse for bad behaviour. And, when you're ignorant and you see that first-hand, you assume that scales up and most ASD diagnoses are parents using it as an excuse for being useless.

I still see that happening a lot (along with the equally annoying 'my autistic child' being brought into topics where it isn't relevant, for sympathy/freebies/winning competitions), but obviously I now understand what autism actually involves and that it is separate from these types of people.

We live in the everybody wins an award and no one is bad culture. So when somebody does something bad there has to be a non nefereious reason/excuse. People are sick of it and are overreacting accepting no explanation but bad person.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 4:20 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
.....We live in the everybody wins an award and no one is bad culture. So when somebody does something bad there has to be a non nefereious reason/excuse. People are sick of it and are overreacting accepting no explanation but bad person.
And sadly, they think it gives them reason to prejudge any situation. It is an overreaction. But the social justice warriors of today should take heed from those that are in charge now for they were the social justice warriors of yesteryear. And, look where it has led to.

And if you say anything that dares go outside someone else's tunnelvision of what is 'right', well, then you get accused and yelled at for daring to air an opposing viewpoint. Basically we have turned into a society of shouting people down and not working towards any common goal anymore.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 5:20 pm

I think those in charge of testing and evaluating ASD people at all levels of functioning use it as an excuse as to why that person will never do anything. Such evaluations tend to become self-fulfilling prophecies.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 5:23 pm

IstominFan wrote:
I think those in charge of testing and evaluating ASD people at all levels of functioning use it as an excuse as to why that person will never do anything. Such evaluations tend to become self-fulfilling prophecies.

How is testing another person a 'self-fulfilling' prophesy? I don't follow.

To be self-fulfilling it must be applied to oneself, not another.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

untilwereturn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2016, 5:27 pm

Quote:

And if you say anything that dares go outside someone else's tunnelvision of what is 'right', well, then you get accused and yelled at for daring to air an opposing viewpoint. Basically we have turned into a society of shouting people down and not working towards any common goal anymore.

I realize we're going off on a bit of a tangent here, but one of the features of this activist mentality is that people tend to attribute the worst possible meaning to anything you say. So you try to comment on one point, and end up defending yourself on another issue that you weren't even addressing. And suddenly you have half a dozen people you don't even know shouting you down about something you didn't even say. :roll:

My Official Facebook Page

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 5:38 pm

untilwereturn wrote:
Quote:

I realize we're going off on a bit of a tangent here, but one of the features of this activist mentality is that people tend to attribute the worst possible meaning to anything you say. So you try to comment on one point, and end up defending yourself on another issue that you weren't even addressing. And suddenly you have half a dozen people you don't even know shouting you down about something you didn't even say. :roll:
I agree. It's not that it hasn't always existed. It's just worse now though because everybody is not happy with equality. Everybody wants to punish someone and will project their issues on anything.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 6:57 pm

IstominFan wrote:

When my language wasn't emerging, my parents took me to a doctor and the doctor evaluated me in the office and concluded I suffered from autism. According to my mother, he told them I would be in an institution by the time I am ten and I would never talk or do anything. They said he was just an arrogant doctor and didn't listen to anything they said. He only went by what he saw in his office. He seemed autism label happy and only looked for the symptoms instead of looking at what I do. They were not happy with his opinion so they took me to a different doctor for a second opinion and never took me to another one again. Now with the spectrum being wide now, I am sure if I had been born ten years later or twenty years later or thirty, more doctors would have said I had it. Then what would my parents have done with a red rover diagnoses? I am sure no doctor would have brought up institutions or saying I would never talk.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 8:14 pm

Wow, part of me appreciates all the replies and part of me doesn't feel like I have it in me to read them all but I did anyways.

I just feel so isolated and I have no way of telling people. I just got a label at young age of autism and eventually Aspergers, but no one knows or when they do know talk to me like I am perfectly fine andI'm just making issues for attention. NO I AM NOT FINE! If I was fine I wouldn't spend half my time trying to untangle the pounds of confusing crap that I receive ona daily basis! Obviously if I'm failing everything perhaps it is not just open defiance, maybe I am really trying and my slowprocessing and my near complete social inability is causing some of it! (I can't understand people verbally almost at all, and I literally have to decode what they say)

However,I have an easier time understanding people with accents beause I hear so much of them (my interests). Just a personal note. Especially because they talk straight forward as they are just learning our language it is easier for me to pick up on that somehow.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2016, 2:48 am

zkydz wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
.....We live in the everybody wins an award and no one is bad culture. So when somebody does something bad there has to be a non nefereious reason/excuse. People are sick of it and are overreacting accepting no explanation but bad person.
And sadly, they think it gives them reason to prejudge any situation. It is an overreaction. But the social justice warriors of today should take heed from those that are in charge now for they were the social justice warriors of yesteryear. And, look where it has led to.

This is a bit off topic but the SJW's of today should take heed because the activists of yesteryear were not for the most part social justice warriors. They were most concerned with helping people not imposing thier ideology by language policing. Instead of getting all bent out of shape from their safe space because somebody used an old fashioned word which they deem racist they were getting literally bent out of shape because they were bieng maced, firehosed, beaten with billy clubs, and in a few cases murdered.

The social media and 2000 channels on TV are set up for microdemograhics creating more tunnel vision then prior to these things existing.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman