Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 7:24 pm

Well, I've read the first book of Mistborn. I thought I had the big plot twist figured out, but I was dead wrong. Vin spent a bit too much time going to balls, in my opinion.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

PIgeek
Raven
Raven

16 Jan 2017, 12:32 pm

Harry Potter. all of them :D

and the white knight is talking backwards
and the red queen is off with her head
remember what the dormouse said
feed your head, feed your head"

White rabbit -
Jefferson Airplane

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jan 2017, 6:51 pm

My favourite fantasy books are: The Lord of the Rings, The Lord of the Rings, and The Lord of the Rings. Best book of all time! My favourite rendition of them is the 1981 BBC Radio series.

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2017, 6:54 pm

Would you mind sharing your favourite parts, Mr. Greenleaf?

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2017, 7:25 pm

Right now it's the current book I am reading. The first book published in the Malazan world, Gardens Of The Moon.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2017, 8:33 am

Kuraudo7777 wrote:
Well, I've read the first book of Mistborn. I thought I had the big plot twist figured out, but I was dead wrong. Vin spent a bit too much time going to balls, in my opinion.

Sanderson is great at writing twists, I agree. I can usually figure them out beforehand, but I can see most author's twists coming a mile away. Part of being a writer is being in a writer's mindset even when you're reading someone else's story, so you can pick up on the hints for what's going to happen later pretty easily. That said, Warbreaker (also by Sanderson) is one of the few books that straight up shocked me with its twist.

Mattoid
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Jan 2017, 8:55 am

*The Harry Potter series
*The Chronicles of Narnia series
*Myth Adventures series
*The Neverending Story
*A Wizard of Earthsea
*The Hobbit
*The Elfstones of Shannara
*The Way of Wyrd

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 114 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 90 of 200
You seem to have both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits

MBTI Type: INFP
Enneagram Type: 4w5

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2017, 11:30 am

^^I totally thought that Vin was Kelsier's long-lost daughter or something. :lol: I finished the third book very early this morning. The ending totally surprised me. Throughout all three books, though, I did find Vin [and later Elend]'s willingness to kill rather disturbing. But then, heroes who kill are not heroes to me.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2017, 9:34 am

Kuraudo7777 wrote:
^^I totally thought that Vin was Kelsier's long-lost daughter or something.

That would be too predictable and cliche. Sanderson is better than that.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2017, 11:53 am

My plot twists, despite seeming so awesome and epic, now seem pathetic.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 7:44 pm

LOTR and Game of Thrones, and one I can't remember...something to do with dark elves in vast underground cave, and one who leaves and a bunch of stuff that happens after that, apparently there are lots of related books I'd like to get back to it but never can remember quite where I left off or where to find all those books.

And there are pleanty others I like but I am not really good with remembering names of book series/trilogies and all that.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 8:24 pm

These days I like The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion, and A Song of Ice and Fire

When I was younger I liked: (nothing against them now just haven't looked back into them in ages):

Silverwing Series
The Rangers Apprentice Series
The Sea of Trolls
Rowan of Rin
The Chronicles of Narnia

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2017, 1:26 pm

the Silverwing series has a proud place on my shelf. :)

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jan 2017, 11:55 am

Kuraudo7777 wrote:
Would you mind sharing your favourite parts, Mr. Greenleaf?

The Battle of Helm's deep is the best part of all. Also the march on Isengard by the Ents of Fangorn Forest.

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 12:09 pm

^I love the Ent march scene in the movie, too. 8)

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 3:37 am

Reading Pullman's His Dark Materials series again at the moment, northern lights is an exemplary book, has just the right balance of ingredients, I do feel he can supply much more detail in places because whenever he chooses to expand I am spellbound by the way he presents his vision and get frustrated when he neglects to share the images in his head as he holds them.