Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 4:39 am

Sometimes I have difficulty shutting my mind down to sleep. I will end up tossing and turning and just ponder the day's events or ideas. Is it just me or does anyone else do this?

plootark
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Dec 2016, 7:07 am

Yes I have the same problem. Also I often have a restless sleep where I will toss and turn and keep waking up. It is knackering.

Some things I have found that helps is exercise during the day. Meditate just before bed. Avoid electronic devices just before bed, they really get my brain whirring. Supplement with Magnesium. If I remember to take some magnesium just before bed I find I have a much more restful sleep. Oat tincture also helps.

If it is bright or noisy that can keep me awake. A face mask and earplugs really helps. Also I don't sleep well if I feel dirty, so a shower before bed makes a difference.

I've heard eating a few carbs such as a spoonful of honey can also help. Obviously avoid caffeine or other stimulants.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 1:59 pm

Very much yes. I'm trying out CBD-oil, with seemingly very positive results.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 2:33 pm

Thanks for the tips!

hmds2007
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Dec 2016, 2:26 pm

I can't sleep till 3 am. I usually sleep from 2-3am till 9:30 am.

Something that has helped me tremendiously in recent times.. I started learning a programming language. Python to be precise. I get exhausted after learning and can fall asleep after 30-45 minutes of learning Python.

I learn it on Youtube and Udemy. (free courses)

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2016, 3:14 am

I used to have sleeping problems until I found out one of the main causes of insomnia is dehydration. I drink 12 ounces of water 3x a day and don't have sleeping problems now. I even doubted that was the issue with me, but I tried drinking more water and it worked.

I always drink 1 of those 12 ounces an hour before bedtime.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2016, 3:26 am

I do but I can directly attribute my difficulties to drinking too much coffee. I usually have to visit the bathroom on a few occasions in the night.

yoshiofdeath
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Dec 2016, 3:53 pm

I can definitely relate to this. It takes me 30 minutes to go to sleep, and I wake up almost consistently between 4:00 AM and 4:40 AM. My brain will not shut off and will replay the entire day's events then will pre-plan the next day's events and prep-conversations that may or may not happen (e.g. rehearsed answers). I stopped looking at the clock because of the recognizable pattern. The only thing that helps me is NyQuil (regular cold and flu).

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 3:08 am

yoshiofdeath wrote:
I can definitely relate to this. It takes me 30 minutes to go to sleep, and I wake up almost consistently between 4:00 AM and 4:40 AM. My brain will not shut off and will replay the entire day's events then will pre-plan the next day's events and prep-conversations that may or may not happen (e.g. rehearsed answers). I stopped looking at the clock because of the recognizable pattern. The only thing that helps me is NyQuil (regular cold and flu).

Indeed, I will go over conversations and simulate possible scenarios or theorize ideas etcetera. I can be dead tired and get stuck in hyper mode.

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 10:28 am

In addition to drinking water white noise also helps me sleep.

I turn the radio on with the volume on the lowest setting.

Windstorm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Dec 2016, 2:49 pm

I found out during the summer that when I had my AC fan on a low setting the hum made me fall asleep faster. So I downloaded a 'white noise' app on my phone that had the hum of a fan going. It helps a lot. I set the app's timer to shut off after an hour so its not going when I get up in the morning (My body wants to go back to sleep if the white noise is still playing).

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 2:55 pm

I find that if my mind is in some thought loop--I need to get out of it before I can sleep.
I have stuff like jigsaw puzzles to re-track my mind.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 3:48 pm

BTDT wrote:
I find that if my mind is in some thought loop--I need to get out of it before I can sleep.
I have stuff like jigsaw puzzles to re-track my mind.

Interesting, so you will do a jigsaw puzzle before you sleep? Thanks for the tips and input everyone.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 4:40 pm

Yes. I can just finish a section of a puzzle and go to bed.