Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

schopenhauer with a keyboard
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2016, 4:20 pm

why are we expected to just accept being depressed friendless virgins and social pariahs?
people make a lot of effort to help the more visibly disabled, but have no time for us.
even my mother doesn't care.
she has just let me waste away and become progressively worse, even ignoring my health problem which has become debilitating without treatment.
what are we supposed to do? i feel there's just no options at all

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Dec 2016, 4:44 pm

I'm starting to think nobody cares about anyone.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2016, 4:56 pm

You can not force anyone to accept you. All you can do is accept yourself. Of course, it is a lot harder to accept yourself when nobody else does but not impossible.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 08 Dec 2016, 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2016, 5:09 pm

xile123 wrote:
I'm starting to think nobody cares about anyone.

well, while obviously not being 100% true it may have a grain of truth to it.
everyone's basically in it for themselves at the end of the day, being social and reciprocal is a good way to meet ends.
they're surely too busy in their own world to care about us when we have nothing to offer them

Fraser_1990
Toucan
Toucan

08 Dec 2016, 5:28 pm

People are too busy worrying about their own lives to be worrying about others. It's not that they don't care, they just have their own issues to deal with and don't want to carry the burden of other peoples problems on top of their own.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2016, 10:56 pm

I must hypocritically insist that we, the invisible people, be our own advocates. The changes I wish to make still terrify me, but I realize it's very unlikely someone will swoop in with the exact solution out of nowhere. And that's certainly no fault of theirs. Sometimes just getting it out there, helps a lot. Like unrolling a map to see where to go next... I'm tired though... maybe this doesn't make sense.

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2016, 12:20 am

The more people complain about being virgins or involuntarily celibate, the more feminists will accuse them of not respecting consent or bodily autonomy.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2016, 12:48 pm

Who is "us"?

Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Dec 2016, 1:03 pm

JohnnyLurg wrote:
The more people complain about being virgins or involuntarily celibate, the more feminists will accuse them of not respecting consent or bodily autonomy.

how? it's not like we're complaining in their faces

jkrane
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2016, 1:10 pm

schopenhauer with a keyboard wrote:
why are we expected to just accept being depressed friendless virgins and social pariahs?
people make a lot of effort to help the more visibly disabled, but have no time for us.
she has just let me waste away and become progressively worse, even ignoring my health problem which has become debilitating without treatment.

How old are you? Virginity doesn't have to be a lifelong issue. I know they've legalized prostitution in Canada, or are about to legalize it. I don't know what country you're from, or what the laws are regarding prostitution. I lost my virginity at 23, which is considered late.

I have one friend, who is also autistic, who I rarely see, so I'm pretty lonely too. All my other friends either died from illnesses and overdoses, went crazy, or left me.

Treatment, like talk therapy is mostly ineffective. Do you work? Do you have money? What kind of health problem do you have? You can look at naturopathic websites on google, and try to find herbs, suppliments, or medications which target your specific symptoms.

I care about you, brother. I don't go on this site often, but I care about other autistics and the people on this site. It's a good community.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2016, 1:14 pm

How should they help "us." Normal people can't read minds. And, with the way people "expect privacy," using "intelligent systems" to discover information about people, while possible, is looked upon very unfavorably.

I recall one retail business who developed a system that would actually predict pregnancy, and send discount coupons to households with an expecting mother. A head of household was not amused that he didn't know what was going on in his household.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2016, 1:19 pm

jkrane wrote:
How old are you? Virginity doesn't have to be a lifelong issue. I know they've legalized prostitution in Canada, or are about to legalize it. I don't know what country you're from, or what the laws are regarding prostitution.

To anyone considering this: Please do not rent other people's bodies for sex. Most people in the sex trade are not there voluntarily, and you could be supporting a human trafficking operation.

Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Dec 2016, 1:41 pm

BTDT wrote:
How should they help "us." Normal people can't read minds. And, with the way people "expect privacy," using "intelligent systems" to discover information about people, while possible, is looked upon very unfavorably.

I recall one retail business who developed a system that would actually predict pregnancy, and send discount coupons to households with an expecting mother. A head of household was not amused that he didn't know what was going on in his household.

well we should at least get more government assistance in some way to help us become more functional, and more autism awareness would help i guess

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2016, 1:51 pm

The Republicans won. This means that there will be less money from the Federal government and the burden of disability assistance will fall to the states. There have been state laws to require insurance companies to provide coverage for those with autism, but if nobody buys insurance, that isn't a good solution.

Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Dec 2016, 2:02 pm

jkrane wrote:
schopenhauer with a keyboard wrote:

How old are you? Virginity doesn't have to be a lifelong issue. I know they've legalized prostitution in Canada, or are about to legalize it. I don't know what country you're from, or what the laws are regarding prostitution. I lost my virginity at 23, which is considered late.

I have one friend, who is also autistic, who I rarely see, so I'm pretty lonely too. All my other friends either died from illnesses and overdoses, went crazy, or left me.

Treatment, like talk therapy is mostly ineffective. Do you work? Do you have money? What kind of health problem do you have? You can look at naturopathic websites on google, and try to find herbs, suppliments, or medications which target your specific symptoms.

I care about you, brother. I don't go on this site often, but I care about other autistics and the people on this site. It's a good community.

i'm recently 22 and where i'm from prostitution is legal but it's not something that interests me.
i think it'd just be an awkward transaction and it wouldn't feel the same. i would feel miserable losing it to a hooker.

wow i'm sorry to hear that. numerous friends of yours died so young? that's pretty shocking. i have now just a couple dudes i talk to online, one doesn't msg me much anymore though and one recently came back into contact. and yeah they're both autistic too.

i have been isolated for 6 years almost now, most of the time on benefits and i've never had a job. the health problem has been one that's extended for over half that long and it's a testicle problem that's hard to properly diagnose (long story not worth sharing) but it's put me through a lot of pain and they've ended up shrinking so i'm forced to be on TRT (testosterone replacement therapy) because of my lowered hormones.
it's very expensive since it's through a private clinic and i'm not sure if it's optimal but it's something.
i've tried all sorts of supplements and even herbal stuff but it's hard to tell if they did anything or which did what.

and thanks a lot for the support man, it's good to see that at least we can care about each other even if nobody else does.

The_Gimp
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Dec 2016, 7:05 pm

For the OP, let me borrow a piece that my therapist used when I first learned about cognitive behavioral therapy(CBT)for my depression and mindfulness.

So, in your situation if you really think nobody cares about you, simply (this is hard, but you have to work it out through meditation) pretend they do. Pretend people do care about you, and obviously some do and you don't even know it yet but in your mind right now nobody does. So, just try to slowly work your way there until you are in a lucid state. It will take some time and effort but it will work eventually.

When you get there BOOM! Flip it! Now, tell yourself..."I don't give a f!@#$ what people think about me. I am just doing my thing right now(Whatever that special thing may be)

If you get complimented say in your head: I don't give a f!@#$ what you think about me. I am just doing my thing right now. If you are insulted say in your head: I don't give a f!@#$ what you think about me. I am just doing my thing right now. This is easier said than done however, but the more you work at it, the more improved you will become.

I hope this helps you and everyone! I still use this,and it becomes more sophisticated the more you use it.