Page 4 of 7 [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 7:33 pm

slw1990 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
I hope you can be proactive and pick up the phone or dial the email to contact her and make a deal with her. you are young and while you are still young is the prime time to get this ball rolling while you still can.

I asked my aunt for some brutally honest feedback and she told me that I should maybe get involved in more activities like exercise programs. She also try to meet other people on the spectrum because I might not seem as quiet to them. She didn't really mention any behaviors that might be off putting though.

you might ask her if she can role-play with you. part of getting what you want involves stepping out of your comfort zone but with abundant preparation before hand, role-playing is a key part.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 9:20 pm

I think part of what makes me unattractive is the fact that I get bullied a lot and don't know how to stand up for myself. A girl at work invaded my personal space and I just looked at her.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 9:41 pm

slw1990 wrote:
I think part of what makes me unattractive is the fact that I get bullied a lot and don't know how to stand up for myself. A girl at work invaded my personal space and I just looked at her.

stand your ground. if the other bullygirl invades your space, above all do NOT move. be more stubborn than the other person, they will eventually get the hint.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 9:49 pm

auntblabby wrote:
slw1990 wrote:

stand your ground. if the other bullygirl invades your space, above all do NOT move. be more stubborn than the other person, they will eventually get the hint.

I'm not sure if this girl in particular is a bully. I was standing behind her so it might've been possible that she didn't notice I was there because when I say excuse me she usually says sorry and also apologizes if she's in the way, bumps into me ect. She could also be gas-lighting though. I sometimes say excuse me when someone invades my space, but sometimes I forget and by the time I think of it it's already too late.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 10:02 pm

slw1990 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
slw1990 wrote:

I'm not sure if this girl in particular is a bully. I was standing behind her so it might've been possible that she didn't notice I was there because when I say excuse me she usually says sorry and also apologizes if she's in the way, bumps into me ect. She could also be gas-lighting though. I sometimes say excuse me when someone invades my space, but sometimes I forget and by the time I think of it it's already too late.

there is also the possibility that this woman is interested in you but can only express it non-verbally and is hoping you will break the ice.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 12:00 am

I don't think so, but it seems like people do this regularly. They do things like wave their hands right in my personal space like I'm not even there. How do you respond to that? I don't know if saying excuse me in every situation like that would work. I hate that I don't know how to stand up for myself. A few years ago I use to think if I dressed nicely and did my hair people would be less likely to bully me and feel sorry for me, but it doesn't always work. I don't know if it's possible to be dateable when you are bullied and mistreated regularly and don't know how to stand up for yourself. I feel like I will just be constantly bullied and picked for the rest of my life and be alone forever. It sometimes makes me not want to live anymore.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 12:38 am

slw1990 wrote:
I don't think so, but it seems like people do this regularly. They do things like wave their hands right in my personal space like I'm not even there. How do you respond to that? I don't know if saying excuse me in every situation like that would work. I hate that I don't know how to stand up for myself. A few years ago I use to think if I dressed nicely and did my hair people would be less likely to bully me and feel sorry for me, but it doesn't always work. I don't know if it's possible to be dateable when you are bullied and mistreated regularly and don't know how to stand up for yourself. I feel like I will just be constantly bullied and picked for the rest of my life and be alone forever. It sometimes makes me not want to live anymore.

before my official hermithood, I was going through something similar, until my middle age. my dad when I was a kid sussed me out pretty well, he told me I was basically meant to be a monk. it could be that some of us are just not meant for the social world. that was not what I wanted to happen in my life, but as john lennon said, "life is what happens when you've made other plans." so I bided my time until I could go into the final hermit phase of my life, and at least I am no longer people-stressed. I feel for you, you are so young and still have decades ahead of you but you have advantages I lacked, and I believe you will do better than I did, but it will require patience on your part, more discernment, more stepping outside your comfort zone, more stubbornness, more open-ness to unusual experiences. it is a numbers game for people like us who don't share a lot of traits with other people, to make up for that you have little other choice than to put yourself more places more often until the numbers start working in your favor.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 9:52 pm

auntblabby wrote:
slw1990 wrote:

before my official hermithood, I was going through something similar, until my middle age. my dad when I was a kid sussed me out pretty well, he told me I was basically meant to be a monk. it could be that some of us are just not meant for the social world. that was not what I wanted to happen in my life, but as john lennon said, "life is what happens when you've made other plans." so I bided my time until I could go into the final hermit phase of my life, and at least I am no longer people-stressed. I feel for you, you are so young and still have decades ahead of you but you have advantages I lacked, and I believe you will do better than I did, but it will require patience on your part, more discernment, more stepping outside your comfort zone, more stubbornness, more open-ness to unusual experiences. it is a numbers game for people like us who don't share a lot of traits with other people, to make up for that you have little other choice than to put yourself more places more often until the numbers start working in your favor.

My dad can be condescending sometimes too.

I know sometimes I misread situations so maybe I'm not getting bullied as much as I think. Some people have told me that I'm so quiet people forget I'm present.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 9:55 pm

slw1990 wrote:
My dad can be condescending sometimes too. I know sometimes I misread situations so maybe I'm not getting bullied as much as I think. Some people have told me that I'm so quiet people forget I'm present.

I wish my dad were condescending rather than what he was. but that's water under the bridge, I suppose. it is entirely possible that if you spoke up more at least then you'd find out where people stand.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 10:07 pm

Shahunshah wrote:
I am not sure what you are going to find if you try to reach out to people on the spectrum.

What are your interests?

I've go to an adult autism group, but it mostly has women in it.

I volunteer at an animal shelter and am also in a choir. I'm also interested in some things involving psychology, medical things and nature. I've been working out more for the past few months too so maybe I could follow my aunts suggestion about joining an exercise program.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 10:14 pm

auntblabby wrote:
slw1990 wrote:
My dad can be condescending sometimes too. I know sometimes I misread situations so maybe I'm not getting bullied as much as I think. Some people have told me that I'm so quiet people forget I'm present.

I wish my dad were condescending rather than what he was. but that's water under the bridge, I suppose. it is entirely possible that if you spoke up more at least then you'd find out where people stand.

I mean, my dad would sometimes get mad about some of my behaviors and say things like I didn't have any common sense. I don't know if he was intentionally trying to belittle me though because I think he would get frustrated without realizing how bad it sounded. I guess that's being more than condescending, but your dad sounds worse.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 10:42 pm

slw1990 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
slw1990 wrote:

I mean, my dad would sometimes get mad about some of my behaviors and say things like I didn't have any common sense. I don't know if he was intentionally trying to belittle me though because I think he would get frustrated without realizing how bad it sounded. I guess that's being more than condescending, but your dad sounds worse.

my dad gave my older sister nightmares and me the most bizarre Freudian dreams, to this day. sounds to me like your dad was frustrated and spoke aloud what he should have been quiet about. my dad didn't know how to handle me other than to be harsh.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2017, 4:29 am

slw1990 wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
I am not sure what you are going to find if you try to reach out to people on the spectrum.

What are your interests?

I volunteer at an animal shelter and am also in a choir. I'm also interested in some things involving psychology, medical things and nature. I've been working out more for the past few months too so maybe I could follow my aunts suggestion about joining an exercise program.
Crap just realize I asked the same question TWICE!

No but joining the exercise program sounds like a good idea. The experience itself can be relaxing.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 12:46 am

Shahunshah wrote:
slw1990 wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:

What are your interests?

Crap just realize I asked the same question TWICE!

No but joining the exercise program sounds like a good idea. The experience itself can be relaxing.

I might try it, but it seems like other people who are into exercising are competitive. I'm don't mean to sound more negative, but I notice that if I just talk to a guy it seems like other people try to create a distance because they sometimes act rude to me in front of them. I found out about another autism group though.

Also, there are some guys, at least online, who seem to show interest for a little while, but it eventually fades and it's like a pattern. It especially happens when I meet up with someone. I'm usually not very interested in most of the ones I meet on dating sites, but it's something I notice. Then it seems like when I ask for feed back a lot of peoplethink I'm just looking for reassurance. They say that I'm not doing anything wrong and that I just need to be more confident or that these things happen to everyone. It doesn't help me very much. I'm 26 and have never even kissed or cuddled with anyone and people don't seem to understand that. There has to be something about me that people aren't telling me because it happens almost every time.

Last edited by slw1990 on 14 Jan 2017, 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 12:53 am

^^^^SLW, have you ever thought about taking an improvisation acting class? :idea:

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 1:06 am

I haven't.