Thinking of starting autistic food bank, would you use it?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

RubyTates
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Dec 2016, 11:23 pm

Hi, as an aspie, I've been thinking that I would like to start a food bank specifically for adults with autism/aspergers in my city, but I wanted to get some feedback on if this is a service people on the spectrum would actually use. This would include food, toiletries, and other necessities -- only requirement would be you would have to prove that you are on the spectrum.

Does anyone think this would be a good idea? Any feedback would be appreciated!

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 8:09 am

Cool idea, but what kind of proof?
Like a doctors note?
I dont carry mine with me, and some autistics dont have one

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 11:57 am

Sounds like a great idea.

As for the proof question, maybe you could run it where people sign up to get a care package each month? Then you'd only need to verify your diagnosis when you first sign up.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 5:05 pm

Maybe you could have a card of sorts that you give people when they apply. They could show proof of ASD at application, and every time they came back, they'd just have to show their card which would act as proof. Maybe the card could be linked to an electronic profile attached to a phone number (the way rewards cards work) for if people forget to bring their cards or lose them.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 9:29 pm

No, I wouldn't use it. I could afford my own TP and food. If I am not in need then I shouldn't take it from those who are. I would probably donate to such a food bank.

RubyTates
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Dec 2016, 6:11 pm

Thank you for all these wonderful replies!

Yes, it would be intended for those adults that are having a hard time securing employment/ putting food on the table -- all the way to people who are more severely inflicted by their autism. And, to families who have an autistic child but are having financial hardships as well.

Yes, I was thinking of a doctors note as proof, but that is a good point as I do not have an official diagnosis either and would not be able to prove my autism if it came down to it. Perhaps, I would have to have some sort of doctor verification on-site or some place I could refer them to to get an official diagnosis? (That is, if my aspie radar was not working correctly, lol!)

Thanks again for all the replies guys!

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 7:41 pm

I been dx long time ago by a doctor/psychiatrist who is probably dead now, as any current doctors I speak are just plain dicks and would just write me off as 'normal' and 'cured' in turn repealing the proof that I have ASD.

In relation to current circumstances, a food bank would most likely be of use when I start to come in terms with the many sanctions I have applied on my welfare benefit. Whatever type of food bank, would it matter? they will probably serve the same food, just like when I was at school they would serve me what they are serving everyone else regardless of autism or not.

KatyKat_721
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Dec 2016, 8:38 pm

The one sort of flaw I see in that plan is, like others have said, the question of how to prove you're autistic. I personally don't have a doctor's diagnosis, but I do have a school psychologist diagnosis, but because I didn't need an IEP, they didn't give me anything in paper. So I wouldn't have any real 'proof'.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2016, 9:57 pm

"That which further defines us separates us."

What does Robin mean by that? I tend to look at Autism like this - that guy is a leftie, that guy has a mole on his back, that guy is Puerto Rican, that guy is autistic.

Now think about that - a food back which serves only lefties or Puerto Ricans or one-legged men or whatever. Pretty divisive, isn't it?

Your proposal does beg the question, though - why an autistic food bank? Are autists being underfed lately? Do autists not have access to food? Lots of homeless autistic folk here in Seattle, and they're all welcome to shop in any of the food banks around here.

I'd be interested to find out why your food bank should cater only to autistic people.

BTW, the severely afflicted ones would already have access to food because they'd be institutionalized already.

Oh, and just for the record, it sounds like a bad idea to me.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2016, 12:35 am

No, I wouldn't... Even when homeless, I avoided shelters and food banks. Gym for personal hygiene (including TP). Food you can eat pretty cheap when short on money. Fishing cures both boredom and hunger.