Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

diablo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Dec 2016, 2:34 pm

There is definitely something off about myself, that goes beyond symptoms of autism. From observations of my thinking and behavior, and reactions from other people. Not to self diagnose but but I feel like I'm schizo or borderline with out of order thinking, unstable emotions, inability to socialize, often interpreting things wrong and frequently paranoid.

I can afford a pdoc and therapy/meds but I'm curious how long and arduous is the process of getting a diagnosis? And if I do get an accurate diagnosis can I count on there being treatment available? I've been an adult for a while so I wonder if this process is different than if I were to have gotten help when I was younger.

diablo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Dec 2016, 1:13 pm

Bump

Has anyone gone through being wrongly diagnosed with mental illness, or had a struggle to get a doctor to recognize and treat their problems?

voidofcontext
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Dec 2016, 5:41 pm

I've had an experience of having the possibility of autism not investigated due to my initial presenting history.

Essentially in this instance, someone makes a judgement and all future treatment is based on the assumption that the first instance of judgement was correct. This has been referred to as "The Swiss Cheese" model of medicine.

It has been 10 years since my first presentation to mental health professionals and only just this week have I received a diagnosis of an autistic-spectrum disorder. I am thankful that I will be getting support now but I am frustrated that I have cycled through so many different medications and treatment plans that were not adequate for my needs as they only addressed part of my problem from a faulty perspective.

If you are able to be specific in a consultation, then express your concerns. It might help to write things down prior to your appointment if you have difficulty expressing yourself. It will also help you set the agenda with your consultant in more concrete terms.

Good luck.

diablo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Dec 2016, 8:03 pm

voidofcontext wrote:
I've had an experience of having the possibility of autism not investigated due to my initial presenting history.

Essentially in this instance, someone makes a judgement and all future treatment is based on the assumption that the first instance of judgement was correct. This has been referred to as "The Swiss Cheese" model of medicine.

It has been 10 years since my first presentation to mental health professionals and only just this week have I received a diagnosis of an autistic-spectrum disorder. I am thankful that I will be getting support now but I am frustrated that I have cycled through so many different medications and treatment plans that were not adequate for my needs as they only addressed part of my problem from a faulty perspective.

If you are able to be specific in a consultation, then express your concerns. It might help to write things down prior to your appointment if you have difficulty expressing yourself. It will also help you set the agenda with your consultant in more concrete terms.

Good luck.

Thanks for sharing. The swiss cheese model you mentioned was something I've had in mind for a while now. In the past I've read from people found to be schizophrenic turned out later to not to be and the mess that it was getting proper treatment.

Wow ten years for you, that must have frustrating! And expensive.
Writing everything down is a good idea as some of us are definitely more honest with ourselves than others.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 1:19 pm

I'd contacted the Univ of Washington's Autism Center almost a year ago to see if I can be tested and diagnosed for Autism. Now, after waiting a year, they finally wrote and said, "We can't test you until we can hear from somebody who knew you as a kid and is aware of what you looked like back then."

Okay. They're free to talk to my mother and father, but UW has to use a Ouija board to reach them because my parents died years ago.

I have siblings, but we were so poor back then, we got parceled out to different households. When we all got back together we were strangers to each other. They knew what I was like back then as much as Jack Nicholson does.

The takeaway here: if you're an adult, and there's no one around to vouch for your childhood behaviour, forget about seeking a diagnosis.

diablo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jan 2017, 1:25 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
I'd contacted the Univ of Washington's Autism Center almost a year ago to see if I can be tested and diagnosed for Autism. Now, after waiting a year, they finally wrote and said, "We can't test you until we can hear from somebody who knew you as a kid and is aware of what you looked like back then."

Okay. They're free to talk to my mother and father, but UW has to use a Ouija board to reach them because my parents died years ago.

I have siblings, but we were so poor back then, we got parceled out to different households. When we all got back together we were strangers to each other. They knew what I was like back then as much as Jack Nicholson does.

The takeaway here: if you're an adult, and there's no one around to vouch for your childhood behaviour, forget about seeking a diagnosis.

Late response sorry! Was the university the only method you had available? That sounds so odd to me that they would require an adult to bring in their relatives for an autistic diagnosis. I could understand if the person was a minor. Sounds like that just works against the people looking for some help or guidance with their troubles.

diablo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jan 2017, 3:08 pm

I had seen a therapist as a kid, which wasn't a very pleasant experience as she was short tempered, narcissistic and closed minded. Which strongly put me off on dealing with mental professionals. Along with the stereotype that people that see psychiatrists are crazy and weak, which may have just been my subconscious excuse for being afraid of getting help.

I was sent to that therapist for low self esteem and depression issues. But I don't remember the diagnoses I was given. Things just eventually got worse to this point where I am now.

-Social anxiety, agoraphobia and paranoia since before I can remember
-Severe depression and mood swings from day to day. Was really bad at the end of school to which a lot of people avoided me.
- Having arguments or fights in my head with people months and years after something rude they've said, or with people that bullied as I was growing up
-Anger problems and having violent thoughts
- Clingy behavior
-Changing mind frequently, and having trouble staying focused, which makes reading and even talking and writing difficult
- Fear of intimacy and letting anyone in my life
- Substance abuse. Recreational drugs seem to be the only thing so far that quiets my head. No amount of meditation, self help books, breathing exercises, diet etc have made the same impact as self medicating. Which has already negatively affected my health.

Of course I'm not looking for anyone to give me an online diagnosis. But I feel it helps a bit being more forthcoming opening up and writing that down. Obviously someone that can't even function normally in life like to the degree of my state needs to get help.

What concerns me is if I get stamped with something like borderline personality and get meds, how do I trust if things are working? Or what if there is another type of medication or therapy that would work better. I'm sure that all depends on how good the doctor is, but I don't want to be in and out the door with bunch of useless or wrong scripts which people complain about.

Would it be better to start with a psychologist or a psychiatrist?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2017, 2:32 pm

There are a few clinical psychologists around town who can give you a diagnosis, but that would be for your own edification. You couldn't use their letter to receive gov't aid. That's where the UW comes in, unfortunately.