Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Do you use accommodations at your school?
Yes 57%  57%  [ 17 ]
No 27%  27%  [ 8 ]
I used to 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
I am setting one/some up 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
I had some temporary 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 30

MentalIllnessObsessed
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Dec 2016, 2:48 pm

And by accommodations, I mean things to make you equal on the "playing field" than NTs. Like, if you got or get extra time, that sort of thing. I don't necessarily mean housing accommodations, but if you have housing accommodation accommodations, then that's different. How often do you use them? What accommodations do you have? If you don't have any, is there a reason why you don't (I'm assuming that you aren't NT responding)?

I have several accommodations I use. Like I use extra time, different room, headphones, someone to refraise questions, explain non-literal items, reference sheets, breaks, a computer, prefered seating, presenting to teachers privately, and a few others. Some aren't really in effect, though I wish some of those were. How much do they help you? Without mine, I'd probably be failing or getting really low marks like 50s-60s. I remember when I didn't have my presenting privately to teachers, and I got a 67 on a presentation because I blanked out three times and was shaking to death (I was having a panic attack). What things also help you the most? I know many autistic people get assistants that are in their classes with them. I don't feel I need one, so I don't have one. Thanks for your response :D

Dx Autism Spectrum Disorder - Level 1, learning disability - memory and fine motor skills, generalized and social anxiety disorder
Unsure if diagnosed with OCD and/or depression, but were talked about with my old/former pdoc and doctor.

Criteria for my learning disability is found at this link:
http://www.ldao.ca/wp-content/uploads/LDAO-Recommended-Practices-for-Assessment-Diagnosis-Documentation-of-LDs1.pdf

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2016, 2:55 pm

I got extra time and a quiet room for tests, but I didn't really need those. I used them a couple times, though. I also was able to leave class whenever I felt stressed, which I liked.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

31 Dec 2016, 7:11 pm

i had accommodations when I was in school for dyslexia. I even went to a school for dyslexia from middle of 6th through 8th grade(the school only went up to 8th). I had resource accommodations in high-school. I went to the resource room instead of taking a class so I took one actual class less than most students each year. There was a teacher & an aid in the room to help with homework & test(like reading questions & writing in what you say for discussion questions), I also had extra time on tests.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2017, 11:51 pm

I don't really have academic accommodations anymore. I do have housing accommodations because I have to live on campus: single room and emotional support animals. When I was a kid Mom tried to get me accommodations, but I was always screwed over. A lot of times, teachers just refused to accommodate because I wasn't failing. I was once assigned to an aide who rearranged my already-organized locker because she thought it looked messy, among other things. In high school, things were better. I wasn't required to go to pep rallies and other loud school events; I hung out in the library instead.

selflessness
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jan 2017, 5:35 pm

I never used accommodations. With the exception of my final year in high school where I didn't have to do a long term group assignment. All other assignments that I couldn't handle like speaking exercises I just got a flatout zero for though. Still got my degree in the end, but it was tough. After that I dropped out of uni (which isn't disgustingly expensive where I live), didn't use the accommodations that were available.

I have this mentality that if you can do something without accommodations it means you're stronger. I wanted to accurately test my capabilities on a level playing field, despite my handicap.

There's also the fact that accommodations don't exist in the workplace, at least where I live. If you can't function without them in uni, it's unlikely you will be succesful when you find a job.

Ironically at the moment I am entirely dependent on governmental services just to survive.

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 10:17 pm

I did until the beginning of the school year. I had extra test time and I was able to leave class if I felt too emotionally distressed. It was good, but I have other ways to cope now.

ranthaman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Feb 2017, 3:12 pm

selflessness wrote:
I have this mentality that if you can do something without accommodations it means you're stronger. I wanted to accurately test my capabilities on a level playing field, despite my handicap.

I can relate to this.
I do not use accomidations but many times have thought it would probably help greatly.
I still have continued to resist it because another part of me feels it could make it more difficult as it would alienate me more
I am unsure if it's better for people to think I'm just rude or lazy, because I plug my ears and take off many days work, or to know i have difficulties and treat me different
I have withdrawn from and dropped many a class for overestimating myself and undertaking too much
and by the end of my time at highschool I had attended around the same days of school that I also was absent, about half and half
and my college/work peers average taking around 12-18 credit hours AND work more hours than I do while it's a challange for me to manage more than half their credits while working half the time as them too
I figured I would be considered intellectually inferior, but to me these challanges are not intellegence based
I once took IQ tests online for fun and scored 135 on one that wasn't timed, but I think 110 or 95 or something much lower on a different IQ test that was timed because it would interrupt you while your working and not let you enough time to understand what's going on!
That might sound irrelevant, but I mean it is much more irritating taking a timed test with many interuptions like in classroom with the ticking clock and other students mumbling and scribbling and flipping papers, than in the silience and leisure of your home when you can devote your focus on the problems
I don't know how typical this is to anyone, and I do not have an asd diagnosis currently

For those who went without accomidations then chose to use them, how was the difference overall (positive/negative)?

AspieQuiz: 139/200 ND, 53/200 NT
MBTI type: ISTJ

pineapplehead
Raven
Raven

28 Feb 2017, 9:25 pm

I've never used accommodations at any stage of the process, because it'd do more harm than good in the long run.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2017, 11:41 am

I've always had accommodations. All the way back in Preschool I had it. I used to always be in the special ed room all day. But I know don't have any classes in there anymore. I get a thing called indirect services where a person checks on me indirectly. Plus if I need help on work. I can go to her. But I never really use that since the teacher in the classroom could help me out. And I now all regular classes. I used to have none. And whenever we do testing like standardized testing. I usually go in a small room with a few other people similar learning probs than me and get more time.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 8:24 am

When I was 11 the teacher saw I had difficulty with handwriting so he arranged for the school to provide a laptop. This was in the 90s when laptops were very expensive. It helped me a great deal.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 9:20 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
When I was 11 the teacher saw I had difficulty with handwriting so he arranged for the school to provide a laptop. This was in the 90s when laptops were very expensive. It helped me a great deal.

I've always had god awful handwriting for as long as I remember. But if I could I would rather type in all my work. Because I type faster and it looks nice. But I assumed bad handwriting isn't an autistic thing. Just something to do with me.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

08 Mar 2017, 9:47 am

The accommodations that they give are not very useful(private testing, time and a half)

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2017, 12:04 am

Corny wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

I've always had god awful handwriting for as long as I remember. But if I could I would rather type in all my work. Because I type faster and it looks nice. But I assumed bad handwriting isn't an autistic thing. Just something to do with me.

It can be an autism thing, but it's not exclusive to autism. There's a condition called dysgraphia that is comorbid with a lot of other disorders but can also occur on its own. Basically, your brain thinks faster than you can write. Typing is a simpler action than writing, so it doesn't require as much concentration and thus your brain isn't multitasking as much.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2017, 7:25 am

rats_and_cats wrote:
Corny wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

It can be an autism thing, but it's not exclusive to autism. There's a condition called dysgraphia that is comorbid with a lot of other disorders but can also occur on its own. Basically, your brain thinks faster than you can write. Typing is a simpler action than writing, so it doesn't require as much concentration and thus your brain isn't multitasking as much.

Thank you. I never knew it was a condition. So bunch of DRs that have bad handwriting have dysgraphia as well?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Mar 2017, 7:41 pm

I always thought this song was about a girl/women deciding to be herself.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition