Page 8 of 9 [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2017, 9:12 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Secretalien wrote:
MaxE wrote:
It's my impression that older people (i.e. even older than I am) are most vulnerable to fake news, because they don't understand how it comes about. I don't think my millennial children are fooled in the least, although of course they may just be smarter than most millennials :wink: .
That's been my anecdotal experience as well. The people I've met that think that aliens built the pyramids, Obama is a secret Kenyan communist, etc are mostly Baby Boomers or older, who aren't very skeptical about the things they see in the media. I think the idea that a newscaster might lie to you for Facebook likes is not something they're used to.
Our formative years were Vietnam and Watergate and our middle age years had a war over WMD's that did not exist and that permenent job with a guaranteed pensions promised us did not work out so well. Why would we not be susceptible to "conspiracy theories"?
That would explain why my middle aged dad believes in conspiracy nonsense.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2017, 1:05 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Secretalien wrote:
MaxE wrote:
It's my impression that older people (i.e. even older than I am) are most vulnerable to fake news, because they don't understand how it comes about. I don't think my millennial children are fooled in the least, although of course they may just be smarter than most millennials :wink: .
That's been my anecdotal experience as well. The people I've met that think that aliens built the pyramids, Obama is a secret Kenyan communist, etc are mostly Baby Boomers or older, who aren't very skeptical about the things they see in the media. I think the idea that a newscaster might lie to you for Facebook likes is not something they're used to.
Our formative years were Vietnam and Watergate and our middle age years had a war over WMD's that did not exist and that permenent job with a guaranteed pensions promised us did not work out so well. Why would we not be susceptible to "conspiracy theories"?
That would explain why my middle aged dad believes in conspiracy nonsense.

Planes are weapons of mass destruction. Hashtag Jacoby.

I feel like I didn't do that right.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2017, 2:46 am

“The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.” - Attributed to Socrates

Personally though, I don't really have any gripes with millennials.

I love that they do take the internet for granted because when a service is taken for granted, that signifies it is no longer seen as a luxury, but has become rooted in the mind as a necessity, and I love that they consider the internet a necessity, because this has made it more accessible, and has contributed to the number of people on the spectrum who finally have a way of reaching out to the world.

I love their optimism, social awareness, and drive for innovation, and I have found working with them fairly enjoyable.

RandomFox
Toucan
Toucan

08 Feb 2017, 7:37 am

Chronos wrote:
I love that they do take the internet for granted because when a service is taken for granted, that signifies it is no longer seen as a luxury, but has become rooted in the mind as a necessity, and I love that they consider the internet a necessity, because this has made it more accessible, and has contributed to the number of people on the spectrum who finally have a way of reaching out to the world.

I love their optimism, social awareness, and drive for innovation, and I have found working with them fairly enjoyable.

Agreed :) I've got a young apprentice at work and I can connect with her more than with people I worked with for 5 years. I don't have any problem with the millennials - they seem to be a playful and random (qualities I love in people of all ages), welcoming bunch. Less judgemental on average than my generation or they just care less ;) They do seem pretty aimless and irresponsible at times, but that doesn't bother me.

TUAndrew
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Feb 2017, 7:08 pm

There's a bizarre hypocrisy where Baby Boomers call Millennials lazy and entitled and yet it's the Baby Boomers who were handed free university education (if they could get in) and decent houses at dirt-cheap prices.

Sweetleaf wrote:
I believe I am even considered a millennial, it is a little unclear what the time-line for being born to be considered a millennial is.

Yeah, there's a perception that Millennials don't know what an offline life is like but I didn't have the internet until I was around 12 and I didn't have a personal computer until I was 15 (the previous computer was for all the family to use). Sure those ages are still quite young but the point is that I did make improvised swings in the local forest, I did have to use the landline phone to call people, and I watched films on VHS rather than Netflix.

Quote:
Also though its not uncommon for people to talk down about younger generations, and find all the things that make it the 'worst' generation yet.

Indeed it's not uncommon, it's a basic part of human nature. There's evidence that people have been sneering at the younger generation in Ancent Egypt.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 2:20 am

TUAndrew wrote:
There's a bizarre hypocrisy where Baby Boomers call Millennials lazy and entitled and yet it's the Baby Boomers who were handed free university education (if they could get in) and decent houses at dirt-cheap prices.

Yeah, there's a perception that Millennials don't know what an offline life is like but I didn't have the internet until I was around 12 and I didn't have a personal computer until I was 15 (the previous computer was for all the family to use). Sure those ages are still quite young but the point is that I did make improvised swings in the local forest, I did have to use the landline phone to call people, and I watched films on VHS rather than Netflix.

Quote:
Also though its not uncommon for people to talk down about younger generations, and find all the things that make it the 'worst' generation yet.

Indeed it's not uncommon, it's a basic part of human nature. There's evidence that people have been sneering at the younger generation in Ancent Egypt.

College was not free unless you were poor but it was dirt cheap compared to today. But a lot of students worked to pay tuition. Housing prices were lower than today but so were salaries. Difference is a college degree was pretty much a guarentee of a good paying job (unless you were a minority, had a criminal record or undiagnosed autistic which were the vast majority of college grad autistics).

Most younger mellenials probably have been online thier whole life. Part of the problem is the misconception the mellienials are teens and twentysomethings when they are twenty and thirty somethings.

Yep the older generations are always saying the younger generations are lazy and are going to ruin everything they built. I detailed the harsh things our parents said about us earlier in this thread. And the younger generations swear they will never be like that when they get older.

Besides the obvoius technology driven differences what I see is the mellianials are much more group oriented compared the "do you own thing" aspiration of boomers. My guess is the recent economic depression caused by people in the boomer cohort has given individualism a bad reputation. From what I read the move towered open offices and group work is bieng driven by mellenials or at least what boomer execs think mellenials want. Not good for autistics.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 6:46 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
TUAndrew wrote:

Excuse me? Tuition, room and board weren't exactly cheap when I was an undergrad, over 40 years ago. I didn't get my first computer until 1983, when I was 25, and even then, it was bloody hell trying to bring it in my parent's house, since they considered computers (even the Atari 2600, and the original Nintendo game system) as the spawns of Satan. VCR wasn't even heard of when I was an undergrad, let alone cable TV in the dorms. Besides, being a music history major, I spent most of my time either in a practice room, or the music library.

Quote:

The millennials being the worst generation yet? That's rich! If anything, the early boomers are the ones that f!cked the entire works up for everyone else that came after their generation!

Quote:

College was not free unless you were poor but it was dirt cheap compared to today. But a lot of students worked to pay tuition. Housing prices were lower than today but so were salaries. Difference is a college degree was pretty much a guarentee of a good paying job (unless you were a minority, had a criminal record or undiagnosed autistic which were the vast majority of college grad autistics).

Most younger mellenials probably have been online thier whole life. Part of the problem is the misconception the mellienials are teens and twentysomethings when they are twenty and thirty somethings.

Yep the older generations are always saying the younger generations are lazy and are going to ruin everything they built. I detailed the harsh things our parents said about us earlier in this thread. And the younger generations swear they will never be like that when they get older.

Besides the obvoius technology driven differences what I see is the mellianials are much more group oriented compared the "do you own thing" aspiration of boomers. My guess is the recent economic depression caused by people in the boomer cohort has given individualism a bad reputation. From what I read the move towered open offices and group work is bieng driven by mellenials or at least what boomer execs think mellenials want. Not good for autistics.

Quite frankly, at least to this old fart, part of the problem is upbringing, and the other part is the disaster we older generations created for these kids.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 9:41 am

The City University of New York was free until 1976, though I believe you had to buy your own books.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 6:46 pm

Are we still mad at the millennials for having a differnent generalational experience than us?

Isn't it appalling that these young folks have never experienced the culture of the 20th century? So what if they weren't born yet. That's no excuse.

Do I need to add a sarcasm tag to this or is it sort of obvious?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 7:10 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
Two interesting observations I have made from reading this thread:

1) You guys forgot Generation X. Everyone always forgets us. ;)
2) Most people seem to be assuming that the new generation (Generation Z/Post 9/11s) is going to be similar to Millennials. No one knows if that will be the case.

I had a generational finding in my thesis project, which may be what I will pick to submit for publishing.

90% of the Boomers in my study of 38 total people were occasional, former, or current supervisors.
68% of the Generation Xers were occasional, former, or current supervisors.
33% of the Millennials were occasional, former, or current supervisors.

This is a strong trend showing that right now, the older an autistic worker is, the more likely they are to be in authority. I don't know if this trend will continue as each generation ages. Gen X will eventually become the old people in the workplace and the new generation will be the newbies. If it DOES continue, it would suggest that as autistic people age, they become well-suited for authority. If it does NOT continue, it would suggest that Boomers were raised in a way that suited them for authority.

Older autistics have higher ranking jobs than do younger ones?

Well duhhhh!

Thats exactly what you would expect with ANY group of people.
The folks with more time in the workforce would be the ones in the higher positions.

If you had compared your stats with those of a similar group of NTs it would be less inane and meaningless.

Also I am a boomer and I dont have a supervisory job. I find it hard to believe 90 percent of aspies of any age are supervisors.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2017, 7:15 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
SocOfAutism wrote:
Two interesting observations I have made from reading this thread:

1) You guys forgot Generation X. Everyone always forgets us. ;)
2) Most people seem to be assuming that the new generation (Generation Z/Post 9/11s) is going to be similar to Millennials. No one knows if that will be the case.

I had a generational finding in my thesis project, which may be what I will pick to submit for publishing.

90% of the Boomers in my study of 38 total people were occasional, former, or current supervisors.
68% of the Generation Xers were occasional, former, or current supervisors.
33% of the Millennials were occasional, former, or current supervisors.

This is a strong trend showing that right now, the older an autistic worker is, the more likely they are to be in authority. I don't know if this trend will continue as each generation ages. Gen X will eventually become the old people in the workplace and the new generation will be the newbies. If it DOES continue, it would suggest that as autistic people age, they become well-suited for authority. If it does NOT continue, it would suggest that Boomers were raised in a way that suited them for authority.

Older autistics have higher ranking jobs than do younger ones?

Well duhhhh!

Thats exactly what you would expect with ANY group of people.
The folks with more time in the workforce would be the ones in the higher positions.

If you had compared your stats with those of a similar group of NTs it would be less inane and meaningless.

Also I am a boomer and I dont have a supervisory job. I find it hard to believe 90 percent of aspies of any age are supervisors.

Thank you for your kind words, NaturalPlastic.

I haven't been in the best health lately. In fact, I've been in very poor health. Posts like yours don't exactly motivate me to continue my research.

Secretalien
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Feb 2017, 9:42 am

The tone of his comment was mean and unnecessary, but he does bring up a valid complicating issue; that people often enter into more supervisory positions as they get older and more experienced.

I think there's a solution, though! If you have your subjects give you their resume/career history, you'll be able to use that see when they took up a supervisory position and what kind of responsibilities they had. You can compare that across generations. You may also want to ask some NTs to also take part in your study as a control group. So then you'll be able to compare, for example, how likely are NT vs autistic persons to take up supervisory positions, and at what age, for each of your generational groups.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 9:55 am

Secretalien wrote:
The tone of his comment was mean and unnecessary, but he does bring up a valid complicating issue; that people often enter into more supervisory positions as they get older and more experienced.

I think there's a solution, though! If you have your subjects give you their resume/career history, you'll be able to use that see when they took up a supervisory position and what kind of responsibilities they had. You can compare that across generations. You may also want to ask some NTs to also take part in your study as a control group. So then you'll be able to compare, for example, how likely are NT vs autistic persons to take up supervisory positions, and at what age, for each of your generational groups.

I am currently conducting a study where I'm taking interview from autistics in high level positions.

You can't use controls in a qualitative study. Especially a grounded theory study. I'm studying subjective experiences and you can't compare subjective experiences. Controls are used for something like "X many NTs in supervisory positions are over 40 whereas Y many autistics in supervisory positions are over 40." I could do that, but not in this study. I'm gathering narratives, which I feel are more useful.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2017, 11:51 am

I would say there are, probably, less people on the Spectrum who are in supervisory positions in, say, their 50s, than their non-Spectrumite counterparts.

I was quite surprised at the 90% figure.

I've known quite a few civil service workers who seemed on the Spectrum to me, and who were not in a supervisory role at advanced ages, I amongst them.

TUAndrew
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Feb 2017, 4:24 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Well no doubt there were some elite places which charged more but at least in the UK the tuition fee went up in the 1990's and it kept going up from there; £1000 to £9000 per course year.

With housing, the point is that the prices went up higher than inflation. The key signifier of this is that the average age of a first-time buyer has been rising for many years.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2017, 10:51 am

This is a very long thread, and I haven't bothered to read all of it. But I thought I'd share this link, which I think gives a good overview which I think jibes closely with my personal experience:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/good-thinking/201404/why-gen-x-doesnt-get-millennialsor-boomers

I should also point out that the above link resonates for me having spent my life in the US. I might mention the OP is Canadian. The 1980s, which most Gen-Xers would remember as their formative years, were dominated politically in the US by President Ronald Reagan (doctrinaire traditional conservative). During the same time period, Canada was ruled first by the Liberals and then by the Progressive Conservatives (center-right according to Wikipedia). So it must have been a quite different experience.