Page 5 of 9 [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 2:44 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I'm frustrated with millennials as well.
Why?

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 10:39 am

Shahunshah wrote:
Such could be the case already. I think we may honestly already be in that stage. We have the option to tune into media that supports our thinking whilst closing our self off to others. As a result we never get exposed to different perspectives and our opinions become hard to change.

But we got to put faith into the internet. For me it has been a tool I am able to discuss and debate these issues in a way I wouldn't be able to before. And things like Reddit, forums and YouTube comments have become places to discuss issues for millions of people. Would I chose that over a system whereby our opinions come from the television we watch and the channels we choose yes I would. The internet is like an improvement for once we can discuss these issues rather than simply having our opinions solely from which media we watch.

The internet is interactive media and it is an improvement in that it facilitates ease of communication and access to information. Because so many sources are available, it is important to be able to evaluate them. The opportunities are greater, but there are also more pitfalls.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 2:43 pm

androbot01 wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Such could be the case already. I think we may honestly already be in that stage. We have the option to tune into media that supports our thinking whilst closing our self off to others. As a result we never get exposed to different perspectives and our opinions become hard to change.

But we got to put faith into the internet. For me it has been a tool I am able to discuss and debate these issues in a way I wouldn't be able to before. And things like Reddit, forums and YouTube comments have become places to discuss issues for millions of people. Would I chose that over a system whereby our opinions come from the television we watch and the channels we choose yes I would. The internet is like an improvement for once we can discuss these issues rather than simply having our opinions solely from which media we watch.

The internet is interactive media and it is an improvement in that it facilitates ease of communication and access to information. Because so many sources are available, it is important to be able to evaluate them. The opportunities are greater, but there are also more pitfalls.
Okay but can we ultimately rid of this assumption about millennials?

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 5:05 pm

Shahunshah wrote:

Millennials are more exposed to media than previous generations. Your generation even more so. Technology has been around since they started honing flint to hunt, but it has never changed so quickly in so many ways before.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 5:24 pm

androbot01 wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:

Millennials are more exposed to media than previous generations. Your generation even more so. Technology has been around since they started honing flint to hunt, but it has never changed so quickly in so many ways before.
Is that really different from the 1990s?

If anything what we millennials have now may be an improvement.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 6:50 pm

...I put up what was intended to be an addition to this line but it ended up going up on its own - It also had : Millenials : as well as : Boomers : in the header .

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 7:15 pm

Shahunshah wrote:

How so?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2017, 6:35 am

androbot01 wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Too much media. It's like drinking from a firehose. You get so many conflicting reports. It's always their word against their word and there's no proof from either side.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2017, 7:51 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Too much media. It's like drinking from a firehose. You get so many conflicting reports. It's always their word against their word and there's no proof from either side.

That's why research is so important.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2017, 7:53 am

androbot01 wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
That's why research is so important.
True but sometimes I feel like more research leads me to more lies. I want to avoid confirmation bias and the echo chamber effect so that's why I try to read both sides of the debate.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2017, 7:58 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
True but sometimes I feel like more research leads me to more lies. I want to avoid confirmation bias and the echo chamber effect so that's why I try to read both sides of the debate.

I agree; it is good to become familiar with both sides. More research does lead to more lies, but more truths as well.

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2017, 9:11 am

Hessiod 8th Century BC wrote:
"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise [disrespectful] and impatient of restraint".

Peter the Hermit 1274 wrote:
"The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behaviour and dress."

"It's all just a little bit of history ... ... ... " ;)

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2017, 9:25 am

I have no illusions the young of today are faultless, they surely have their faults, so do their elders.
None of us are perfect.

It's not that each generation gets worse and worse, it's that people often fail to perceive their own faults and the faults of their own generation.

Or if they do perceive them, it's often through rose and sepia tinted glasses.

At other times it's that the new generation does things their own way. Not a better or worse way, just different, and therefore it feels, strange and uncomfortable to the old.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2017, 4:17 pm

Peter the Hermit 1274 wrote:
As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behaviour and dress."
Good. I hope their style of dress becomes even more immodest so I can have something nice to look at.

The slutwalk protests are my favourite aspect of feminism.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2017, 8:00 pm

androbot01 wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:

How so?
I will tell you why. In the 90s people wouldn't be doing critical thinking either. They could simply choose which media they would want to watch CNN, Fox News, Rush Limbaugh etc and their opinions would likely never change. This has arguably changed for the better with the internet. Now with better communication people have a greater opportunity to converse and share perspectives. I feel as though you are no longer entirely shut in your bubble. What's also true is that with Wikipedia people now have a chance to look at objective facts and make their judgement from their rather than have their perspective tainted with bias.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2017, 10:13 pm

Shahunshah wrote:
What's also true is that with Wikipedia people now have a chance to look at objective facts and make their judgement from their rather than have their perspective tainted with bias.

Wikipedia is your example of an unbiased source?! The fact that anyone can edit it and no one ensures that it's vetted with any relevant expertise makes it more susceptible to bias than most sources.