Does anybody else have mixed feelings on Sailor Moon?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Midnightstar16
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 7:57 pm

I can't say I don't like Sailor moon, I mean, it was one of my first animes, and I have a ton of Sailor Moon barbies (Actually they're just plain Barbie dolls I repainted to look like Sailor Moon...) But the classic magical girl animes like Sally the Witch or Pastel Yumi used to have tons of fans until Sailor Moon, this girl with bangs that make her look like an old lady, and took half the magical girl fans with her. And also, back in her heyday on Toonami, Precure was trying to make it in America. Sailor Moon was done by Dic (speaking of, why does Luna have an English accent? Isn't this supposed to take place in Japan?) but since Haruka and Nagisa had the misfortune of being picked up by 4Kids while that company was going downhill, Sailor Moon was airing on the same timeslot on another channel. So, if it wasn't for Sailor Moon and 4Kids, the 80s shojo mahou shows would still be popular, and Precure would have been the Pokemon or Magical Girl shows. And I don't hate Sailor Moon, I just think she's really overrated. :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2017, 2:02 pm

I used to watch the 90's English dub back in the 90's. It was a really guilty pleasure. I really mean guilty, I was very embarrassed to be seen having anything to do with it. But the English voice acting and Americanization was atrocious. I haven't been into it much since then, nor most anime in general.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2017, 6:57 pm

All I know about Sailor Moon is that there are two female characters who were lesbian in the original Japanese, but censored to 'cousins' in the American version--without losing any of the subtext.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Midnightstar16
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2017, 5:11 pm

Please don't rip my head off for this, but that's one of the things that made me kinda squeamish and uncomfortable is the lesbian girls.
My favorite character is Chibiusa, though! :heart: (the one with the pointy buns and fluffy pink pigtails and red eyes)

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2017, 5:12 pm

^Why would I 'rip your head off'? You're free to have opinions differing from mine, after all. :)

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2017, 5:18 pm

I thought it was cool until they revealed Ugasi/Serena to be just another boy crazy bimbo.