Parents won't Believe I'm Autistic

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

christinegalaxy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Dec 2016, 12:09 pm

I've read ten books on autism. I've done five courses on autism. I've talked to people...but my parents won't believe me. My mom said it's because I don't look autistic. They're not allowing me to get a diagnosis because "That's not how it works." Help??

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 3:34 pm

First of all, welcome to the forum!

I see that you are 14 years old. Why do you want a diagnosis? Are you experiencing any problems in school or somewhere else because of your suspected autism? Or do you want a diagnosis to understand yourself better? Or have others understand you better? An autism assessment can be very expensive. Perhaps that's the reason why your mom is not allowing to get a diagnosis.

Maybe you can have a chat with your parents and start by asking them what they know about autism. Then politely point out the misconceptions and give them more detail. Maybe you can have a few sources to back up your claim. If you do, then use simple words and terms. Likely, the terminology in the 10 books and 5 courses on autism will make people confused and not believe you. Remember to go gently and politely so that they don't feel like everything they've ever known was a lie.

If you know that your parents won't listen no matter what, then you can always pursue it further when you're an adult and free from parents' rule.