Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

olivejuice
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Dec 2016, 7:40 pm

Hello,

I'm one of those rare female Aspies and it feels like I've paid dearly for being born this way. I still lack a formal diagnosis because I am struggling to find a mental health care provider that takes my insurance in my state in the USA. I'm in my 30s now and life has been brutal without proper help or support. There has been a lot of abuse because I don't sense danger in social situations well. As far as the mental health care maze goes... I have been misdiagnosed at least a dozen times, if not more. I give such literal answers to questions and I truly don't know how to advocate for myself. Ugh. I'm still trying, though.

I used to be quite smart and capable. I was a very talented musician, particularly on piano. I was also gifted in math and economics. These days it is a struggle to do basic things like get dressed or leave the house -- even eat. It's difficult to imagine turning this situation around, but I'm still trying.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2016, 7:54 pm

olivejuice wrote:
I used to be quite smart and capable.

I can certainly relate to that part. I think you'll find some other people here with similar experiences. There's a chance that this coming year will turn things around, so there's hope.

Welcome.

There Are Four Lights!

voidnull
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Dec 2016, 7:58 pm

Hello olivejuice, welcome to WP =]

Yours is a very familiar situation here, through the abuse, nightmare social situations and the list of misdiagnosis. Hang in there, it gets (much) better, I promise you.

-Especially now you're able to confide in and get help from fellow Aspies.

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 12:15 am

Hi and welcome. I was one of the lucky Aspie females to get autism as my first diagnosis. However, later on I also got misdiagnosed a dozen times. t's hard to find the right mental health professional and when such things as limited Insurance come into play, I can understand it's much harder. Believe in yourself though. Finding community can help you a lot, and you've come to the right place for that.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 1:29 am

I don't really think people lose things like intellectual capabilities at your age. Its just that you may think your less smart as you no longer have been using them as frequently.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 3:05 am

welcome to the club. :cat:

i used to play piano, and i no longer do. it sits in my room, covered in trinkets and souvenirs, as a desk.

i don't think i have regressed because of it, i merely have moved on to other things. granted, i was never very talented at it. i'm sure you were much more skilled on it than i was.

what other instruments did you play? singing?

economics is a doozy for me, finance too. anyone who has a grasp on those fields is pretty bright as far as i'm concerned.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2016, 6:28 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2017, 3:39 pm

Welcome - you'll find quite a few female members here in addition to the guys. Pull up a chair and make yourself at home.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2017, 4:15 pm

Welcome! Female Aspies aren't that rare, really. I'm sorry you're struggling and I hope things get better for you.

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jan 2017, 6:34 pm

eggheadjr wrote:
Welcome - you'll find quite a few female members here in addition to the guys. Pull up a chair and make yourself at home.

Good day and welcome from Canada!

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

FreakyZettairyouiki
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Jan 2017, 1:13 am

Also a female Aspie here! Welcome