Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 12:03 am

I keep Guppies, Least Killifish and a Betta. My Betta is three and my biggest secret is good food and 80 degree water. I use ripariums, they are great for fish. Ripariums are semi aquatic plants growing with only roots in water.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 12:18 am

I miss my 35 gallon tank from high school. I kept two pacus in it for the majority of the tanks life of 4-5 years. Had a silver dollar survive in there as well for maybe half the tanks life as well. The smaller pacu and the silver dollar both unfortunately met their end at the teeth of the larger pacu. Probably a close proximity over a long period of time anger issue considering he didn't need them for food. Maximus was his name, I had a roman circle of pillars in the tank. He was about the size of my hand. He died of disease from improper tank maintenance by my dad while I was gone for my first year of college. Wish I had pictures, that was before I had a camera.

You ever thought about trying a salt water tank Jacoby? I know I never will. A smaller tank with non aggressive fish sounds nice.

This isn't him, but he looked exactly like this:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 3:13 am

If I had an aquarium I might go with mostly bottom feeders, those ones are cool I can't remember any specific types though.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

28 Jan 2017, 8:56 am

Yeah, it's pretty shocking and upsetting that some of the most commonly sold aquarium fish are the least properly cared for. Unfortunately this is pretty common in the pet trade in general, I know reptiles have it just as bad or worse, you can buy a baby iguana for like $20 but most people have no idea the level of care these things take and just assume that they always stay small. The common pleco you get are tiny when they're sold most often but get bigger than a lot of tanks can handle and can't just be thrown into a tank with no special care to their needs. There are a number of common aquarium fish that get bigger than commonly sized tanks can handle or need brackish water.

A saltwater tank would be really cool, I don't know if I'll ever have the time or money to do one and the learning curve I feel like is a bit intimidating since I believe the tanks are way more sensitive to water conditions but if I had all the materials then I think I probably could do it. I've never known anybody that had a saltwater tank so I never had anybody to draw any knowledge about them from tho, my experience has only been with tropical freshwater fish. It would be really neat to have living coral and there are some really beautiful unique fish that I've seen at the store, maybe someday. I always thought it would be cool to keep freshwater fish native to North America too like blue gill or bass and I've known of people who have tried but everything I've read says its a bad idea, wild caught pets in general of any sort do not do as well.

Really want to get started on my new tank soon, maybe once things settle down with school.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 9:22 am

My favorite bottom feeders are Pygmy corydoras.

SentientPotato
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 9:45 am

I've always found Platys and other livebearers to be interesting and a good starting point for beginners. As terrible as it may be though, I've stuck with the more brightly-colored ones as those have been rendered sterile apparently, eliminating crowding issues from the excessive breeding that they're known for. Their preference to harder water makes them good candidates as tap water tends to be hard (at least down here it is), though you'd have to be mindful that if you're in an area that gets cold, you would have to keep them warm as dipping below the 70s ain't good for them. That's one thing Goldfish have over tropical species -- they handle much colder conditions, with their drawback being that they're messier so they require more space.

There's a TON of information out there on the internet (probably even moreso now than there was 15 years ago when I started reading up on this). aquaticcommunity.com may be a place to check out for a bit of reading.

Oh darn, I forgot to hit quote. Oh well, y'all can figure out who I was trying to direct this to.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2017, 9:52 am

I found Least Killifish don't breed to fast and can live in a smaller tank. I found plants are great for aquariums.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 6:02 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Yeah, it's pretty shocking and upsetting that some of the most commonly sold aquarium fish are the least properly cared for. Unfortunately this is pretty common in the pet trade in general, I know reptiles have it just as bad or worse, you can buy a baby iguana for like $20 but most people have no idea the level of care these things take and just assume that they always stay small. The common pleco you get are tiny when they're sold most often but get bigger than a lot of tanks can handle and can't just be thrown into a tank with no special care to their needs. There are a number of common aquarium fish that get bigger than commonly sized tanks can handle or need brackish water.

A saltwater tank would be really cool, I don't know if I'll ever have the time or money to do one and the learning curve I feel like is a bit intimidating since I believe the tanks are way more sensitive to water conditions but if I had all the materials then I think I probably could do it. I've never known anybody that had a saltwater tank so I never had anybody to draw any knowledge about them from tho, my experience has only been with tropical freshwater fish. It would be really neat to have living coral and there are some really beautiful unique fish that I've seen at the store, maybe someday. I always thought it would be cool to keep freshwater fish native to North America too like blue gill or bass and I've known of people who have tried but everything I've read says its a bad idea, wild caught pets in general of any sort do not do as well.

Really want to get started on my new tank soon, maybe once things settle down with school.

That's so true about the Iguanas.Ive kept them for years and they are not a good choice for amateur reptile keepers.They need fresh greens,appropriate lighting,heat and space.They can reach six feet in length and the males can become aggressive in the mating season.Very capable of inflicting a bite that will send you to the ER for stitches.There is also the danger of tail whip from any large lizard.
My Ig has its own room and she comes out into the living room occasionally for petting.
I wish the pet stores wouldn't even carry them,I bet maybe one out of a hundred make it to adulthood.
If someone wanted an iguana I'd suggest they rescue one,or rehome one that's on Craigslist.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 6:09 pm

I hate that too. I also hate coral or fish that's are impossible to keep being sold. I am talking about specialized feeders.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 11:27 pm

BettaPonic wrote:
I hate that too. I also hate coral or fish that's are impossible to keep being sold. I am talking about specialized feeders.

Same way for the horned toads that used to pop up in pet stores years ago.They feed only on a ants.Just so awful to think of all of them slowly starving to death,and how sad the people were who sincerely tried to take of thier doomed pet.Still too many animals that are being collected from the wild and sold to pet stores.It should be mandatory they are all captive bred.
Jacoby,do they ever have fish trucks at feed stores around there?You can get native perch and other kinds that have been raised at fish farms.You just tell them how many fish you want and they container them up.They would be small,maybe fingerlings.They would adapt to a large aquarium.Sunperch are beautiful,but Ive never seen them carried for pond stocking.I think they require running water.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 11:30 pm

Wild caught fish are pretty important. Many aquarium fish can only be captured, but can live a healthy life in aquariums aquariums. Sustainable wild caught can be great for the environment too. They provide local people with a reason to care for the environment and with a revenue stream.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2017, 4:01 pm

Finally got this thing started, all natural no plastic plants. I just have 6 mollies in there right now, I kinda messed up since mollies probably would be better in a little bigger tank and they are already breeding in this one but it's better than what they were kept in at the store at least. They are very energetic I am going to start aquaponics on this tank soon too, order a Peace Lilly which is what was recommended. I will upgrade to a bigger tank eventually, my parents have a huge one they found apparently so I could probably get that one so that will be an eventual home to at least some of the mollies. I will do another 10 gallon tank soon too as I bought one for $10 the other day, it was cheap so I thought why not. I've been kind of kicking myself lately for not jumping on this 40 gallon tank with a stand I saw that was $40 but I didn't want to get too obsessed with the stuff.

here's a pic :D

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2017, 12:17 pm

You should look into Pothos. Their roots work great in water. You might want to check out ripariums.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2017, 10:40 pm

upgraded :D

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 4:43 am

I see you are a fan of SpongeBob. I approve. Now you need a Krusty Krab!

That is one big tank. It all must take a lot of looking after. :)

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 4:44 am

Jacoby wrote:

upgraded :D

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH

WHOM LIVES IN A PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.