Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

gez
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 May 2007, 1:09 pm

Any other aspies around who would be keen to meet for a drink in London?

Also, anyone know where to get a diagnosis from? Can it be done on the NHS in London?

Sorry for all the questions but just found this website and keen to learn as much as I can and to speak to aspies!

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 1:28 pm

I'm from South London, but it is not possible for me to go and meet strangers!

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 1:44 pm

I would like to meet the both of you. Tonight even of you want. I live in Croydon South London and it shouldn't too much trouble to go anywhere in south london. I might want to get back in time to watch Virgin School.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 2:18 pm

It be good to meet with fellow aspies in a neutral location.

I talked about setting up a 'meets' forum but it got buried. It is something that I seen work on another support forum. I wouldn't have made friends for the first time at 24 without it. Also have ideas for cheap things to do, esp. Because not everyone is into to the same thinks. I don't mind anything from gigs , comedy, exhibitions, markets or whatever. personally I'm not into heavy drinking or clubbing. But I don't mind meeting up for a drink or coffee.

Not this week though. I'm in South London too.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 2:24 pm

Dx can be a long wait with NHS, I heard. Just be prepared for that. Either way you need to get referred to a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist.

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 2:26 pm

I work in London, so could be available to meet up, depends when and where. Also, it depends how tolerant people are prepared to be because I have problems with sensory overload so often have to cover my ears in public and I have panic attacks too.

People often look at me like I'm weird and I don't care because I'm used to this and this is how nature made me. But if these things might embarrass you or be too much for you to cope with, that's okay.

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 2:27 pm

I know diagnosis used to be available at the Maudsley hospital. There is also the Centre for Social and Communication disorders who I think are not too far from London.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 2:31 pm

Don't worry I've had panic attacks and have problems with certain noises. My friends have SA so I'm totally used to if you just want to leave suddenly.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 2:36 pm

I'm getting referred to the Maudsley for my cognitive dysfunction/ADHD. But it is long winded my GP can't refer me directly. So I’m also exploring the private option. I know they are very good for Social Anxiety. I went to a talk with a Dr. Clark. They are doing research so you can try to get on his program. I he has developed a pioneering CBT program.

Michaelmas
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 May 2007, 2:41 pm

I've researched social groups in London through the National Autistic Society, and hope to attend one when I return to work; I haven't got to one yet.

DANDA holds socials for Aspies/ADD/ADHD/Dyslexia/Dyspraxia/Tourette Syndrome/High Functioning Autism - meeting at the Mason's Arms 58 Devonshire Street W1W 5EA

It meets on the fourth Tuesday of the month, 7 pm; a DANDA faciltator will be there with a DANDA flyer on (I guess they mean the table not the facilitator, maybe both).

Please check their website for more details-

http://www.danda.org.uk

I must admit, I'm as nervous as you folks seem to be, but would be able to meet here - it sounds very organised - on "neutral" territory.

Hope this helps.

Michaelmas

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 2:46 pm

Yep that sounds good Michaelmas. I do find big groups difficult to interact, get to know people. But it’s a start I guess. It get you use to what to expect.

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 3:17 pm

Aspie_Chav wrote:
I would like to meet the both of you. Tonight even of you want. I live in Croydon South London and it shouldn't too much trouble to go anywhere in south london. I might want to get back in time to watch Virgin School.

I'm near Croydon too but I'm not sure I'm up for a meet up just yet...

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 4:54 pm

How many people live in the Ripper district?

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 5:06 pm

I've heard mixed opinions about London.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 5:11 pm

Ok. This is a thread for Londoners or people who can get to London

groovemeister
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 May 2007, 5:22 pm

Well, I'm in the South West (Bridgwater, Somerset). If anyone's nearby I'm also interested in a drink!

RE diagnosis - well... I have been battling for one for 2 years. Don't take any flack from your GP or any kind of psychiatrist and keep soldiering on. I'm near to getting mine now. Your Primary Care Trust might try and wriggle out of it but by rights eventually they can't decline by saying you can't have it unless they've assessed you. It's a catch 22 that works in your favour.