I find your lack of ambition disturbing.

Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Hexen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Jan 2017, 8:46 pm

I goto college and I have noticed that a lot of people in their 20s and even 30s, have no desire to ever own a house. Most have no desire for an actual career, except the ones in college and even then their ambitions are low. I cannot fathom why anyone, especially someone going to college to earn a degree; how they would be content living in an apartment. I know the economy is bad, but no one even seem to have the desire for the American dream. Many now are just content with hookups and basically living in an over-priced box. I have no desire to have kids, but I want a nice house, a wife, a nice car. My generation, I feel have just become an ambition-less generation of spoiled brats.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 10:16 pm

That's great that you have drive and ambition.
Kudos to you.

Hexen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Jan 2017, 10:21 pm

Raleigh wrote:
That's great that you have drive and ambition.
Kudos to you.

Thank you.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 10:32 pm

I have a career, I am the park botanist at the most visited National Park in the US and I don't want a house.

When you take out a loan to buy a house you are limiting all of your future decisions. No matter what you have to make that house payment, or you lose everything.

I might decide to quit and go to the tropics for the winter. I can not do that if I have a house payment.

shinylights
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Jan 2017, 10:54 pm

When you rent, your landlord is responsible for all maintenance. All I have to do if I have a plumbing, heater, oven, or anything problem is write an email and the maintenance guy comes to take care of it, at no cost to me. So my bills are prodictable every month, and I don't need to worry about whether they'll do a good job, because if they don't, it's the landlord's lawsuit, not mine. Really low maintenance. So I can spend my time being ambitious about my job, not the refridgerator.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 11:01 pm

^ well, you have to choose whatever works for you.
There are pros and cons to everything.
The way I see it, I have to live somewhere, so I may as well be putting money into gaining assets for myself rather than giving money to a landlord.
If I want to move somewhere else down the track I can either sell my house or rent it out and use the rent money to help buy the next house.
Also, when you own your house outright, living is pretty cheap.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 11:18 pm

Since the real estate bust of 2008, many Americans have realized that buying a house is not a worthwhile investment. You are working from an older set of values apparently, but this generation is simply responding to economic realities, not showing a lack of ambition. Remember that a house is still basically "a box", as well. Not everybody shares your distaste for apartment living--in urban areas all over the world, apartments are the way people live.

Hexen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Jan 2017, 7:35 am

arielhawksquill wrote:
Since the real estate bust of 2008, many Americans have realized that buying a house is not a worthwhile investment. You are working from an older set of values apparently, but this generation is simply responding to economic realities, not showing a lack of ambition. Remember that a house is still basically "a box", as well. Not everybody shares your distaste for apartment living--in urban areas all over the world, apartments are the way people live.

That depends. Mortgaging a house is ACTUALLY cheaper than renting in many North Eastern states. I live in a state where the average rent for a 500 square foot apartment is over $1,000, not counting utilities; yet if I move to another state that has cheaper housing, I can mortgage a house for about $600 and have six times the living space. If I want a house that is three times the living space, the price drops to about $300 a month for a mortgage. Gee, why have a house? Housing is affordable, if you save and you have a decent career as is 50K plus a year. There is also no reason to take out a loan, if you can save up yourself. If you make let's say $50,000 a year and a down payment for a decent house is about $30,000(for a BIG house 3,000 square foot plus); you make about $4,166 a month. Even if you just save a grand a month, it'll only take a little over two years to save for that down payment. People in the North East spend more on renting than they could an actual house, that doesn't make logical sense except most are unable to move. This is not, or will not be the case with me.

Last edited by Hexen on 09 Jan 2017, 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hexen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Jan 2017, 7:39 am

arielhawksquill wrote:

Wrongplanet, the site where you offend someone no matter what you write.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2017, 3:11 am

I also find lack of ambition disturbing. I'm glad that you're financially independent and earning your own income. What kind of job do you have?

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2017, 4:42 am

What's your point, exactly?

Hexen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jan 2017, 5:50 am

Sabreclaw wrote:

"I goto college and I have noticed that a lot of people in their 20s and even 30s"

Hexen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jan 2017, 5:51 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I also find lack of ambition disturbing. I'm glad that you're financially independent and earning your own income. What kind of job do you have?

Sleep study technician. I'm not there yet, but I start training in the Fall and thank you.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2017, 6:50 am

Hexen wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:

"I goto college and I have noticed that a lot of people in their 20s and even 30s"

So you noticed something. Yay for you. I still fail to see what this thread is intended to achieve.

Hexen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jan 2017, 6:55 am

Sabreclaw wrote:
Hexen wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:

So you noticed something. Yay for you. I still fail to see what this thread is intended to achieve.

To relate to others, who actually have ambition and know what I'm talking about.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2017, 7:06 am

Hexen wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:
Hexen wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:

Maybe it's real purpose is to expose people within the autism community, that have OCD so severe that they go and judge the relevance and/or importance of threads.

Threads with no apparent purpose make my hairline recede. Also I'm not part of any "autism community", so the joke's on you.