Any other synesthetes who draw their evocations?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Zed90230
Raven
Raven

10 Jan 2017, 8:42 pm

From around 1996 to 2005, I made about 150 colored pencil sketches of my synesthetic evocations and hung onto them for some unspecified future purpose. I'm glad I kept them, because a friend who I've known for over 30 years (and is also on the ASD spectrum) says it would be a good idea to copyright them and use them to build an online gallery.

What does a synesthetic image look like? It's all very personal... one woman I met 12 years ago at a conference said hearing spoken Chinese evokes a mental image that looks like a line of Jordan almonds, but to me it evokes an image of blocks made of some translucent resin-like substance.

Some of the sketches in my collection don't look like much of anything that exists in the real world... certain songs sound like they have a lot of some color or other in them... piano notes sound like pieces of turquoise glass... base beats sound dark and rounded... a Hawaiian guitar sounds like rusty orange cones... and so on.

Does this happen to any of you as well?

purpletoupee
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Jan 2017, 2:38 pm

Hi, you've got me really intrigued. If you ever put them online I'd like to see them.

I don't have the condition but I've read a bit about it recently and thought it was amazing. Apparently for a lot of people the letter 'H' is intermingled with the idea of a bully, if I have that right? When one sense triggers a visual image, do you ever physically see it or do you always envisage it strongly in your mind?

Though I can imagine for some people that the condition could be difficult in ways I can't even begin to picture. Could you explain how some people have shared experiences like the "H"="bully" thing? Do neurologists know? Lots of questions there, I know.