Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 9:43 pm

I've created an alphabet with symbols unlike any already in existance. I'm wondering if there is an app or software I can use to create a keyboard using my alphabet.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 2:27 pm

You can probably print stickers of the alphabet and put them on a keyboard. Software support for such a thing will be extremely limited. I guess you could make a custom font, and use of the Unicode private use areas for your alphabet, but nobody else will be able to read anything you type unless they're using your custom font.

MisterSpock
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 6:59 am

Do you mean a computer font, where you type F on the keyboard and it apears as your glyph? In which case, try Fontforge; you can even load in hand-drawn images and it will convert them to the format it needs. I#ve made one that came out like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cmkjy1wqvv8q54h/example.png?dl=0

Or do you mean a physical keyboard? In which case I would suggest either as saxgeek does, and print labels (or even 3D print new keys) for an existing keyboard, or work on building your own using a microcontroller (though this would be really difficault).

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 8:04 am

MisterSpock wrote:
Do you mean a computer font, where you type F on the keyboard and it apears as your glyph? In which case, try Fontforge; you can even load in hand-drawn images and it will convert them to the format it needs. I#ve made one that came out like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cmkjy1wqvv8q54h/example.png?dl=0

Or do you mean a physical keyboard? In which case I would suggest either as saxgeek does, and print labels (or even 3D print new keys) for an existing keyboard, or work on building your own using a microcontroller (though this would be really difficault).

I meant either a computer font or some on-screen keyboard. Like it shows the keyboard onscreen and I use my mouse to click it. Or maybe some iPad app that creates something similar. I didn't mean a physical keyboard. Thanks for the suggestion.