Twilightprincess wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
^ I concur. Girls over 6 foot tall are graceful and elegant.

What does height have to do with it?

Girls over 6 feet tall can be just as awkward, uncoordinated, and uncouth as anyone else...

I think some of us "girls" are a little tired of being defined and limited by our appearance.

Don't let me define you. Define yourself.
That is besides the point we are allowed to have preferences as individuals and the fact is being called tall can be good.

When so much emphasis is placed on a young woman's appearance (her height, weight, gracefulness, etc.) some of it becomes absorbed into her sense of self. It's hard not to allow it to become part of her definition.
We are not defining a woman by her appearance we are simply saying that calling a woman elegant etc can be good and the trait can be attractive.

You are still using physical descriptors, though. It's awkward and uncomfortable as a woman to always be described in such a fashion which I think is what the original poster was getting at.

"Elegant" and "graceful" are feminine descriptions. Not every woman wants to be described in such gendered terms.

How would a tall man be described? Strong?

Probably don't try to assume if the OP doesn't know why she is upset it could be anything. All that me and RetroGamer were saying is that being described as tall might actually be a good thing. When you describe someone as elegant and graceful all you doing is describing someone as attractive you're not judging someone solely on looks or defining them by it.

Tall, elegant, and graceful are all physical descriptors...

This was posted in the Women's Discussion, not in General Discussion. I'm not sure why men are so eager to reply to a post that was intended for women.

Men are not going to have the same perspective or interpretation of something like this.
I am not sure what is the case. But simply calling people attractive and tall may not be the reason why the OP is upset.

She very clearly said that she hates being called tall. A part of this thread is to find out why she dislikes it...

As a woman, I find it uncomfortable when people comment on my appearance. I don't like being called short, pretty, sexy, etc. If I think something is untrue, I find it even more awkward. She doesn't feel tall since she's 5'6.

The question is why so much emphasis is placed on a woman's appearance. It boggles my mind how much I see of this on WP...
So what do you like being complimented on something that you find to be real?

Would you prefer it if someone said you were smart or perceptive as of opposed to pretty?

When people describe women as being attractive on Wrong Planet they aren't judging them as more or less because of it all that they are trying to do is say something positive about someone.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 6:58 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
^ I concur. Girls over 6 foot tall are graceful and elegant.

What does height have to do with it?

Girls over 6 feet tall can be just as awkward, uncoordinated, and uncouth as anyone else...

I think some of us "girls" are a little tired of being defined and limited by our appearance.

Don't let me define you. Define yourself.

When so much emphasis is placed on a young woman's appearance (her height, weight, gracefulness, etc.) some of it becomes absorbed into her sense of self. It's hard not to allow it to become part of her definition.

We all get called many things, both good and bad. Don't worry about them, take control of your own identity.

Do you want to be defined by your looks, your personality, your achievements? The choice is yours to make.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 9:44 pm

I don't mind other compliments like being called pretty or slim or whatever, if that answers your question (before quoting each others posts gets bigger and bigger). And it's women who say I'm tall mostly, not men. Not liking being called tall is not related to how I'm being physically viewed as a woman. I put it here in the women's discussion because I wasn't sure if 5"6 is tall for a woman or not.

Most people like being tall or wish they were tall, but I wish I was about 5"4 at the tallest. Sometimes older women calling me tall is patronising. Other times it makes me feel like a giant, which annoys me because why should I feel like that if I'm only 5"6? Often people overestimate how tall I am, thinking I am a lot taller than I am.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 9:46 pm

5'6 is not tall for a woman. 6'0 is tall for a woman.

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jan 2017, 10:58 pm

Going by statistical averages 5'6" is taller than average but not tall. At 5'9" I am the second shortest person in my family. My mom is 5'7" and has a complex because everyone else in the family is over 6'0". It baffles me that it bothers you this much, but I guess it's a way to pass the time or whatever.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 3:54 am

Please don't be sarcastic, it's just a discussion and if you don't like it when other people have different opinions then don't post anything at all.

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2017, 10:39 am

Joe90 wrote:
Please don't be sarcastic, it's just a discussion and if you don't like it when other people have different opinions then don't post anything at all.

It sounds like you're the one that has a problem with differing opinions. In your OP and now. I was just trying to show RetroGamer87 that he's not wrong for trying to compliment a woman. Idk what you hope to achieve in this thread but I've made my point. Later.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 11:14 am

For Christ sake, all I did was make a post to see if other women can relate, an argument broke out in the middle about something I wasn't intending in my OP, I put an end to the argument by elaborating my OP a bit, I get a post after that implying that I have nothing else in my life to worry about other than my height (which is what "I guess it's a way to pass the time" is a politer way of putting it), and I am the one with the problem.

Well, that's the last time I post in the women's discussion if I'm going to feel bad for OP-ing.

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2017, 11:56 am

Oh come on, it wasn't all that bad. I was seriously trying to help. I know we on the spectrum can be too sensitive about some things. I didn't mean any harm.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 4:15 pm

It's OK, sorry I got on the wrong side. You're cool. :)

B19
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 5:27 pm

I have a grandchild who is over 7 feet tall. Imagine what he has to cope with! Hope that puts the issue in perspective for you :)

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2017, 6:34 pm

Joe90 wrote:
It's OK, sorry I got on the wrong side. You're cool. :)

Sweet. Nothing better than an ability to get along after butting heads :D

Hippygoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2017, 3:48 am

I'm 5'11". I don't mind being called tall, because I am. Although amongst tall women I'm considered short. :D

I used to dislike being so tall, mostly because I grew up believing that women should be small and take up as little space as possible. But pfftt to that nonsense. I can use my height to my advantage and floor length skirts look good on me. It's not all bad! :)

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2017, 8:17 am

I'm 5'9'', but I can't say people's comments on my height have ever bothered me more than any other general remark, e.g. on hair colour, clothing, etc... If it were my behaviour they were discussing, or the way I sometimes walk, that would be a problem! Overall I enjoy being tall, and it also allows me to randomly help people out sometimes.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2017, 8:05 pm

I'm an El Shrimpo at 5 foot 4.75 inches.

I don't mind my height. I once went out with a girl who was almost 6 feet.

I've been attracted to very tall women before.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2017, 9:09 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't mind my height. I once went out with a girl who was almost 6 feet.
Lucky! :)