Were you ever put in a psych hospital?

Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 1:23 pm

I was put in one when I was nine years old. Knowledge about Asperger's was in it's infancy back then and being away from home for the first time was traumatic. I was also bullied by the staff members. I had an idiot psychiatrist who said the bullying at school was MY fault and her solution was to dope me up on antipsychotics. I had SEVERE separation anxiety and the floor staff made fun of me for it. I may have been nine physically, but mentally I was around five.

The other time was when I was fifteen or sixteen and the staff had no clue how to deal with Asperger's. The other kids that were there were there for drug rehab and underage smoking. The other was an NT girl with an eating disorder and a supposed autistic boy who had some other things beside autism going on. Both times I came out worse and I possibly have PTSD as a result.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 1:35 pm

Wow! That must have been really tough! I wouldn't be surprised if you do have PTSD.

I was never in a psychiatric unit as a kid, but I spent some time (maybe 2 months) in a psych ward as an adult after a traumatic incident. The psychiatrist was a bit of a joke. He put me on a bunch of different medications in a short time frame, and I had horrible side effects from it.

I just needed a safe space to pull myself together. Overall, the experience did more harm than good.

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 1:42 pm

No, I have not been. I can understand how it's traumatic though. I hope you have coped and/or are still coping.

idonthaveanickname
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jan 2017, 3:01 pm

Since about September of 2014, I've been in at least 5 different psych units in 5 different hospitals; ever since I overdosed on heroin and almost died. The first time I went, I was having thoughts of harming myself. The rest of the times I went, I actually did harm myself by either scratching up my arms with my fingernails or cutting my knees and lower legs with a razor. When I had my overdose of heroin, it even put my dad in the psych unit because it distressed him so much. He didn't even recognize his own wife at one point and had a speech impediment, not being able to get words out. He's a lot better now, thank God. Now it's been a year since I've been to a psych unit, and I hope I never have to go to another one again.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 3:03 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
I was put in one when I was nine years old. Knowledge about Asperger's was in it's infancy back then and being away from home for the first time was traumatic. I was also bullied by the staff members. I had an idiot psychiatrist who said the bullying at school was MY fault and her solution was to dope me up on antipsychotics. I had SEVERE separation anxiety and the floor staff made fun of me for it. I may have been nine physically, but mentally I was around five.

The other time was when I was fifteen or sixteen and the staff had no clue how to deal with Asperger's. The other kids that were there were there for drug rehab and underage smoking. The other was an NT girl with an eating disorder and a supposed autistic boy who had some other things beside autism going on. Both times I came out worse and I possibly have PTSD as a result.

8O :o

Thats awful!

But what did you do (if you dont mind me asking) to get tossed into the booby hatch age 9?

Last edited by naturalplastic on 14 Jan 2017, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 3:10 pm

I have been hospitalized four times for self-injury, mostly cutting, biting myself, and hitting myself. The first time was when I was 14 and the last time was when I was 16. The last time was the worst. I cried constantly and was harassed and even physically beaten by other patients. I still have nightmares about it sometimes.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 3:48 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:

Thats awful!

But what did you do (if you dont mind me asking) to get tossed into the booby hatch age 9?

I don't know. I just remember my mom taking me to the regular doctor one day, then taking me to the hospital.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 3:52 pm

I was nearly thrown in one but my dad decided to take me home and my mom was mad about it because he didn't leave without me.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jan 2017, 4:17 pm

For 8 months when I was 21, 3 months 3 years later and around 10 days in 2012.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 6:36 pm

I have. The worst ones were the civilian ones where the non-military affiliated people go. I feared for my safety while in the civilian hospitals. There was a pervert on the loose and the patients weren't monitored well. The showers were filthy, they were unisex and the floors were coated in semen. Makes me want to vomit just thinking about it.

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jan 2017, 7:33 pm

I was in one for a week when I was 23. I can't imagine being in one for months like some of you have, one week was horrible enough and I'm still traumatized by it.

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jan 2017, 7:35 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:

Thats awful!

I don't know. I just remember my mom taking me to the regular doctor one day, then taking me to the hospital.

Sounds Kafkaesque.

Fraser_1990
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jan 2017, 7:36 pm

Never been in one and would never allow myself to be dragged into one either. These hospitals exist to make you worse and keep you there forever.

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jan 2017, 8:03 pm

Never.

I'd become a tax-dodging hermit before going there. Build myself a small cabin in the woods... live by hunting and fishing... certainly a type of life that I could live. However given how things are going right now and have been for the past few years, that seems rather unlikely.

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 8:58 pm

Yep , I've had 3 , maybe 4 stints in the local mental ward. I think the first time was when I was 19 and it was a very scary place and although I was pretty messed up and felt like I was going insane I felt like the sanest person in there. I dont believe any of my stints on the ward were beneficial to my mental well being , it was just a safety thing.

*Edit actually I think it's 5 times , years of antipsychotics have made my mind hazy , probably just as well as they were not pleasant times

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

14 Jan 2017, 10:10 pm

I am not psychotic or anything like that nor would I put myself in one of these places so I haven't, there have been probably a couple times where I probably could of due to depression and suicidal thoughts.