Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

bookworm285
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2017, 7:56 pm

My daughter is 24 and in college. She is not able to live independently. She barely survives now, with a room mate, and my support.

My concern is getting her help after college. She doesn't qualify for assisted living, yet she isn't going to be able to survive without it.

Any other parents dealing with this?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2017, 2:25 am

Not a parent, but after living on my own for over a year, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that living independently isn't the best idea for me. I barely take care of myself, and my apartment, don't get me started on it. I still rely on my dad a lot for moral support, rides to places, and (occasionally) financial support when I fritter away my disability money. My grandmother tried helping me apply for PDD funding a little over two years ago, but it didn't work out because of my lack of an intellectual disability.

I hate admitting it, but I don't exactly have all the tools I need to survive on my own. People my age often joke about it, but I legitimately feel like I'm in over my head.

bookworm285
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jan 2017, 9:59 pm

I manage my daughter's disability check.

It's frustrating that a low IQ seems to be required for assisted living. It's the same for my daughter. Because she has an high IQ and does not need physical help with bathing, feeding, etc. she's been denied.

I am still searching for answers. If I come up with any, I'll share them.