Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 1:51 pm

True enough, but that is then a value judgement by the individual. My first name was in the top 10 names given to newborn males in 1985, 1990 and some other year I can't remember, so rather common.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 1:56 pm

nurseangela wrote:
So what you are both saying is that you wouldn't have a problem telling me your first name in a PM if I asked? Just so the info isn't out where just anyone could see it? I always make sure not to use the person's name in any of the forums once they have told me. Actually, it's hard for me to remember names, tbh.

I would only use a person's name if they have posted it on the forum. If they have only mentioned what their name is in PM or in email or in messenger, I wouldn't say their name on a forum. I would address them by their username or name they have given themselves on the forum.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 2:00 pm

Come to think of it, my first name is in my very first post on this forum. So...that's that.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 4:26 am

I don't really get why people on forums like this don't use their real names, yet it's OK to have your real name on Facebook and in blogs, etc.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 4:36 am

Joe90 wrote:
I don't really get why people on forums like this don't use their real names, yet it's OK to have your real name on Facebook and in blogs, etc.

If they have their real name on Facebook and not here, that would probably be because they don't want people to know they have Asperger's.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 4:41 am

League_Girl wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
So what you are both saying is that you wouldn't have a problem telling me your first name in a PM if I asked? Just so the info isn't out where just anyone could see it? I always make sure not to use the person's name in any of the forums once they have told me. Actually, it's hard for me to remember names, tbh.

I would only use a person's name if they have posted it on the forum. If they have only mentioned what their name is in PM or in email or in messenger, I wouldn't say their name on a forum. I would address them by their username or name they have given themselves on the forum.

Thats what I have been doing. Its a little weird -actually a lot weird, when someone uses my name (especially Angie) in a post like they know me and I have no idea what their first name is. I don't like it. Don't act like you know me when you evidently don't trust me enough to let me know your first name. Names are very important.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 8:50 am

I don't think it's really an NT vs AS thing. And I don't quite get it. Some people are so up front and share so much, you know less about close relatives. With others, they reveal virtually nothing about themselves. They're just like only cyber entities. I don't quite get either of those extremes. My first name is obvious, and I sometimes post my middle name. But never my last name because having looked it up online, it seems to be extremely rare. L*****x - anyone wanna buy a vowel?

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 9:47 am

I don't relate to my real name, because to me it's not real, it's just an act. I've spent a lifetime trying to act 'normal' (and failing) - so I equate my real name with a non-person who doesn't even exist, but just tries to keep up the illusion for the benefit of others.

To call me by my real name is to force me into 'fake mode', where I just smile and quietly try to fit in.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 10:26 am

League_Girl wrote:
I sometimes wonder if Frankie ever lurks here. That isn't his real name but it's a name I have given him for online for whenever I talk about him so I am not always referring to him as the boy or "this ODD boy I knew" and so people know I am talking about the same person, not different people.
I also always use a different name for people I have talked about here to set them apart, particularly when a post refers to more than one person. I always stick to a name whenever I have picked one for a specific person. I'd never use anyone's real name because one, it's not my place, and two, I don't want to identify myself either.

nurseangela wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

If they have their real name on Facebook and not here, that would probably be because they don't want people to know they have Asperger's.

I've known people who used a fake name on FB to hide their AS related life (and in some cases even diagnosis) from family/other real life people.

Some people might use different names (username here rather than real name) because they reveal things here about themselves that they need to discuss but don't want to be known to people IRL. Anonymity can make it easier to be open. There would be no reason for me to be here if I was to pretend I'm something I'm not or avoid being open about what I come here to talk about. I hardly use FB at all, and not for anything very personal.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 11:47 am

I don't mind people knowing my first and middle names (my first name is even in my signature here), but I'll never tell anybody my last name, even though it is somewhat common.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 12:38 pm

At first I used a different name here and elsewhere to hide my diagnosis. I still use Aspie-Autistic1957 when in comment sections about autism articles or YouTube videos so the reader hopefully will figure the perspective of an Actually Autistic person and a late middle aged adult one at that.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Leahcar
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jan 2017, 1:26 pm

I'm okay with people online knowing my first name, as, while not a popular spelling, it's not 'unique' enough to be a big giveaway as to who I am (as a matter of fact my username is actually my real name spelt backwards ^^). Friends online know me as another name.
But I never like to say my surname, as it's a pretty rare one. But even if it was a well-known one like Smith or Brown or Jones, I still wouldn't reveal it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2017, 12:54 pm

Joe90 wrote:

I use my real name for Facebook so my old school mates can find me. I use fake names for blogs and Twitter because I don't want my online activity being seen by people who know me in real life and I don't want them to see what I am interested in or know what problems I have or know about my diagnoses or my fetish.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2017, 1:03 pm

Quote:
I also always use a different name for people I have talked about here to set them apart, particularly when a post refers to more than one person. I always stick to a name whenever I have picked one for a specific person. I'd never use anyone's real name because one, it's not my place, and two, I don't want to identify myself either.

They can still identify you by what you say about them. Like for example Frankie here might be able to identify me if I wrote how he wrecked my parents hammock and kept throwing the ax at my brothers and their friends several times nearly hitting them with it and how he had been hospitalized several times and how he was a pathological liar and abused his mother and other kids in his school and threatened my brothers behind my back and playing the victim. Unless he is really that delusional he has erased his past from his memory and has no recollection of his behavior and is now a good person, he wouldn't be able to identify me. I have written all those things about him here already in the past so if he were to see those posts, he would know who I am for sure unless he is delusional and doesn't know that about himself since abusers seem to rewrite their history and forget any abuse they have done.

But yet my ex was able to identify me by what I had written in my blog but yet denied any abuse she done to me and seemed to have change her past.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 5:01 am

TheSilentOne wrote:
I don't mind people knowing my first and middle names (my first name is even in my signature here), but I'll never tell anybody my last name, even though it is somewhat common.

Well, Howdy, Gwen!

Darn, I flunked.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2017, 4:21 am

nurseangela wrote:
Thats what I have been doing. Its a little weird -actually a lot weird, when someone uses my name (especially Angie) in a post like they know me and I have no idea what their first name is. I don't like it. Don't act like you know me when you evidently don't trust me enough to let me know your first name. Names are very important.

very few people here are going to give you their first name unless you ask for it. i don't think it's a trust issue.

if you want to know mine for whatever reason, just ask. (:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.