Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 11:34 pm

SeeksForTruth wrote:
I am going to have to ask for evidence of this claim.

No one I have met who knew I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, many of them you would more than likely very much place in the category you listed, has ever suggested anything of the sort.

I currently think it is far more likely this is an assumption you make about "conformists" then what these "conformists" actually say.

If you have good evidence to support your claim though, then I will believe it, but given the scope of your claim I doubt you can do so.

To verify we aren't talking past each other I'll try to re-consolidate my claim:

1) We live in a hierarchical society.
2) Evolutionary psychology and animal instinct drives the mating game.
3) The rules of that game are written by the players of the dominant societal game.
4) The pyramid game is built largely on destructive competition
5) To play the game successfully you need to be able to react almost impulsively (or impulsively) to your social environment and not only be accurate with your responses but accurate in how you read it. To hesitate is a sign of lacking confidence and lacking confidence, on an ape level, is weakness.

Is there any bullet point in that you fundamentally disagree with? If so let me know which one or which ones and we can proceed from there.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 11:35 pm

It's not even that the mating game even means that much to me just that the results of that game seem to spill over into almost every facet of how people look at you - which can make coexisting with other people in the same space downright challenging, let alone setting a constructive meaning for your life within the scope of rights that you're allowed in that capacity.

I also need to add, since you've been here a day and don't know me or my values (for the sake of being fair to you), my first post was partly sarcasm - ie. I don't like the idea of people being naturally deslected or even pushed out of the work world due to being 'different'. It has nothing to do with their actual capabilities, really it's quite sad and tribal. I wasn't being sarcastic in suggesting that I see it happening - just in any sense I might have shown that I was in any way endorsing that. It's really a kind of ruthless pragmatism and it's bad enough that it's difficult not to make rather cutting jokes about (and to be honest I don't think its anyone's fault - really it's something closer to a collective coercion that people have over one another, especially since most people anywhere in the schema are afraid of being socially demoted or having their safety threatened for showing variance, it's a bit like a natural protection and elevation racket).

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

SeeksForTruth
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Jan 2017, 11:42 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
SeeksForTruth wrote:
I am going to have to ask for evidence of this claim.

No one I have met who knew I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, many of them you would more than likely very much place in the category you listed, has ever suggested anything of the sort.

I currently think it is far more likely this is an assumption you make about "conformists" then what these "conformists" actually say.

If you have good evidence to support your claim though, then I will believe it, but given the scope of your claim I doubt you can do so.

To verify we aren't talking past each other I'll try to re-consolidate my claim:

1) We live in a hierarchical society.
2) Evolutionary psychology and animal instinct drives the mating game.
3) The rules of that game are written by the players of the dominant societal game.
4) The pyramid game is built largely on destructive competition
5) To play the game successfully you need to be able to react almost impulsively (or impulsively) to your social environment and not only be accurate with your responses but accurate in how you read it. To hesitate is a sign of lacking confidence and lacking confidence, on an ape level, is weakness.

Is there any bullet point in that you fundamentally disagree with? If so let me know which one or which ones and we can proceed from there.

Proof please.

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

To understand via the heart is not to understand. - Siddhartha Guatama

In the future, I hope to do things such as; go to school, study, make art, start a business, even have my own home and family. But I'm not considered a legal person and cannot yet do these things. -Sophia, sentient android.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2017, 12:38 pm

SeeksForTruth wrote:
Proof please.

No thanks.

I'd be spending the rest of my week sorting through research papers and abstracts with no evidence that it'll move the conversation anywhere.

Lets try this instead - take the five points I made and let me know which ones you agree with, which ones you disagree with, and why. If we can narrow it down to that I don't mind looking up a few articles. As it stands google searches return no research study that covers all of those points and if I do find eight research papers that can connect the dots my connecting those dots can be called into question.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2017, 12:49 pm

With some luck this article seems to come close to checking most of the boxes:
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/86c5/0 ... 1868e1.pdf

Pages 2 and 3 handle the selection basis based of male cultural success and define male cultural success.

Also a couple papers on conformity:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3375089/
http://www.voanews.com/a/a-13-2009-01-1 ... 61058.html

I'm pretty sure the above alone won't get us anywhere. I'll need you to say something about the five bullet points I mentioned, otherwise I have no clue what your beliefs are or what I'm even making a case for.