Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

pasty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jan 2017, 1:54 pm

I just want to stare at the wall and hear no sounds, see no movement, smell no smells, and not use my voice or my eyes. Does anyone else completely zone out or shut down when you experience significant distress?

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 1:59 pm

I'm so sorry. Even if it's not unexpected, losing a pet is really hard. They really are family members, even if they don't live a human lifespan. Take all the time you need to process things. It's normal to feel numb and want to disconnect when you experience a loss, especially for people with autism. it's your brain trying to comprehend what happened and what it will mean, so it tries to block out outside stimuli.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 3:00 pm

Sorry to hear that. I would consider zoning out as you describe "normal" for an Aspie in your situation.

Last edited by BTDT on 20 Jan 2017, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 3:21 pm

I'm so sorry :( I actually did the same thing when I lost my dog a couple years back.

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 3:50 pm

Celebrate the life of your dog and the memories. Take the necessary time to recover. Pets are like best friends.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 5:07 pm

I am sorry to hear that. Losing pets is always very hard. I feel numb and dissociate when coping with a great amount of grief.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 10:37 pm

Sorry for your loss. :(

My last dog died three years ago of assorted issues but mostly of old age. It was really hard on me for days. Sometimes in that first week or so after I could swear I heard her walking around the house; the soft jingle of her dog tags and other little sounds she'd make that you don't think of when they are living.

I gave it a year then brought another dog home from the Humane Society.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 10:52 pm

I know that sadness well. Losing a pet is very hard. I offer you my sincerest condolences.

pasty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jan 2017, 10:51 am

Thanks, guys (that's a gender-neutral "guys"). I've been remembering the good times we had. I've tried to stay at home in the dark so I don't get sensory overload. I keep smelling things that aren't there, and my brain is exhausted. Just hours after this tragedy, I found out that one of my good friends died in an accident, and I'm now taking care of his dog. I can't properly recover from losing my best friend of 16 years because now I have a dead human friend to think about and a yippie little dog running around my house. I feel like I need to go to a place where they will let me sit in a dark closet and rock back and forth all day.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2017, 11:02 am

So sorry about all of this.That's a lot to process.Maybe get some ear plugs (if you feel up to getting out)and just roll up in a blanket in a dark room.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 11:05 pm

I'm very sorry about your loss.

Sweet Pea hugs Image

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2017, 12:06 am

My dog was a better friend than any person I have ever known. If came down to choosing between my girlfriend and my dog, I would chose my dog.

what I am saying is that I think I understand.

pasty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jan 2017, 12:14 am

feral botanist wrote:
If came down to choosing between my girlfriend and my dog, I would chose my dog.

I actually did choose this dog over my ex. He said "it's me or her" so I moved all of my stuff out of his house while he was at work, and my dog and I lived in my car. I never regretted that decision.