Technological Unemployment: The Real Reason This Elephant Ch

Page 5 of 8 [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Yo El
Toucan
Toucan

17 Mar 2017, 2:19 pm

androbot01 wrote:
I think a guaranteed universal income is the way to go. You turn 16, you get say $200 a week. I think it is important to pay out the money in small amounts as those who cannot manage money will spend a large cash amount and be left with nothing for the future (I'm unfortunately talking from my own experience on this one.)

this could be I have no idea.
I don't think it works that way the problem isn't how much money someone has to spend. Rather it's supply and demand. If you gave everyone in the world 200 dollars a week the demand for products would be through the rood and the supply wouldn't keep up. The best solution is to have an even distribution of supplies not money.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 2:34 pm

Enough with people trying to apply Econ 301 to complex situations. Arrow is rolling in his grave.

Also, look at the evidence. Trials by researchers with Give Directly do not show price inflation.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 2:55 pm

Yo El wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
I think a guaranteed universal income is the way to go. You turn 16, you get say $200 a week. I think it is important to pay out the money in small amounts as those who cannot manage money will spend a large cash amount and be left with nothing for the future (I'm unfortunately talking from my own experience on this one.)

this could be I have no idea.
I don't think it works that way the problem isn't how much money someone has to spend. Rather it's supply and demand. If you gave everyone in the world 200 dollars a week the demand for products would be through the rood and the supply wouldn't keep up. The best solution is to have an even distribution of supplies not money.
Supply and demand is the problem. what do you think will happen when workers all over the world lose their jobs to machines, driving the supply of available workers way higher than any demand.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 3:04 pm

Our bizarre tax code creates bad incentives all over the place. One dramatic simplification is to tax people for whatever they spend above healthy subsistence. This disincentivizes conspicuous consumption and encourages saving and investment.

Giving money to people who spend it increases economic activity in the short run more than giving it to people who save it. Savings increase investment, under most circumstances, and increases economic activity over the long run. However, concentrating money into a few hands won't support a complex, interdependent, agile, modern manufacturing sector.

Also, surveys of production managers indicate they learned about the marginal price of producing a unit of their product, but have no numerical value for it and only remember it from class. Also, executives make decisions based on so many factors that outweigh the tax rate that the possibility of changes in the tax rate don't even make the list of serious concerns. They don't decide what to build based on taxes, but economists have convinced politicians, and it sounds simple enough for the public to eat it up.

Last edited by jrjones9933 on 17 Mar 2017, 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 3:04 pm

Fugu wrote:
Supply and demand is the problem. what do you think will happen when workers all over the world lose their jobs to machines, driving the supply of available workers way higher than any demand.

The difficult part is convincing rich leaders that they have enough talented workers. I think a lot of them have fantasies about what they could do if they just had a few more hard working brilliant geniuses to solve their problems or create new products. Or design the perfect weapon system.

Yo El
Toucan
Toucan

17 Mar 2017, 4:19 pm

Fugu wrote:
That wouldn't be a problem. If machines took over mans job that means they produce our supplies instead of us having to produce them. We would have a heck more free time. People would propably work part time. And there were will be demand for jobs in different areas compared to now. School system propably has to change to adjust to the development of these new demands.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 4:55 pm

Yo El wrote:
Fugu wrote:
That wouldn't be a problem. If machines took over mans job that means they produce our supplies instead of us having to produce them. We would have a heck more free time. People would propably work part time. And there were will be demand for jobs in different areas compared to now. School system propably has to change to adjust to the development of these new demands.
yes, that's true. and how are these people with "a heck more free time" going to pay for goods and services? wishful thinking?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 6:12 pm

adifferentname wrote:
We're nowhere near the point of universal human redundancy yet. The shift towards robotic labour will be gradual, and have a similar (if much larger scale) effect to the historical shift from agrarian to industrial society. Automation tends to create jobs, not to replace them. Those tasks that cannot be automated increase in number as the tasks which can be automated require greater numbers of human beings as machines become more efficient.

From The Economist

Reading your article the logic seems to be that higher through-put will cause more work flowing through the gaps and more hands on deck needed to manage those gaps. I'd say that they're optimistically 'betting' on this, they may not entirely be wrong but we're dealing with a much more profound set of capabilities with the cheapening software and robotics.

As for universal human redundancy - I'm not sure if you mean on the individual or societal level. I'd agree that we'll be nowhere near 100% replacement in our lifetimes, pragmatically it'll never happen. At the same time you don't need much more than 1/4 of the workforce permanently displaced to cause significant problems with societal stability especially if those people are stuck below the poverty line.

adifferentname wrote:
That's not to suggest that everything will just work itself out and that nobody will be affected, but the doom-mongering Luddite argument that x% of jobs will be replaced over the next few decades is built on a presumption that everything other than the mass introduction of robots will remain static.

I don't think you need to be a doom-mongering Luddite to see that if we don't handle the situation responsibly we can radically destabilize our society and be at risk of putting a really unhealthy regime in power. I'd argue for universal basic income, one low enough to where people will still want to work because it won't cover much more than supplement basic amenities. To do this at least keeps us from getting into the situation where 1/4 of the culture could get desperate enough to resort to a much worse kind of populism than what we've seen so far either in the US or Europe.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 6:27 pm

I can see a "leader" pitting various poor factions against each other.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 9:44 pm

Is it possible that if you are making an argument that involves labeling Bill Gates and Elon Musk "Luddites" then perhaps you are not using that word correctly?

Just a thought.

Perhaps also worth considering:
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/5159 ... ying-jobs/

Quote:
But Brynjolfsson and McAfee’s claim is more troubling and controversial. They believe that rapid technological change has been destroying jobs faster than it is creating them, contributing to the stagnation of median income and the growth of inequality in the United States. And, they suspect, something similar is happening in other technologically advanced countries.

Quote:
Brynjolfsson and McAfee are not Luddites. Indeed, they are sometimes accused of being too optimistic about the extent and speed of recent digital advances.

:?

Yo El
Toucan
Toucan

18 Mar 2017, 5:31 am

Fugu wrote:
yes, that's true. and how are these people with "a heck more free time" going to pay for goods and services? wishful thinking?
Money doesn't have actual value. Money is given for the amount of productivity your provide to this society which in return can be spend on products( time=money, and money is a trade system). These products are there because someone else's productivity. If many jobs are done by robots it means they become productive, and in return means we don't have to be as productive as before( because they now provide our products). I think the system considering valuta will change to fit these new changes. Goods and services will be cheaper because less people have to work to make these goods and services. Ofcourse like the current economical system it will be abused because that's how humans are. Making a man made utopia a mere fantasy.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 8:00 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Reading your article the logic seems to be that higher through-put will cause more work flowing through the gaps and more hands on deck needed to manage those gaps. I'd say that they're optimistically 'betting' on this, they may not entirely be wrong but we're dealing with a much more profound set of capabilities with the cheapening software and robotics.

I don't think it's optimistic to bet with form. After all, the result of automation has typically resulted in increases in employment over the mid to long term. That's not to say that we won't eventually need to adjust to a whole new type of society - perhaps it will be called the "post-tech" or "human redundancy" society.

Quote:
As for universal human redundancy - I'm not sure if you mean on the individual or societal level. I'd agree that we'll be nowhere near 100% replacement in our lifetimes, pragmatically it'll never happen. At the same time you don't need much more than 1/4 of the workforce permanently displaced to cause significant problems with societal stability especially if those people are stuck below the poverty line.

On a societal level. I'm certainly not suggesting there won't be an uncomfortable transition, but I'm sure we'll adapt our way through it and arrive at something manageable.

Quote:
I don't think you need to be a doom-mongering Luddite to see that if we don't handle the situation responsibly we can radically destabilize our society and be at risk of putting a really unhealthy regime in power. I'd argue for universal basic income, one low enough to where people will still want to work because it won't cover much more than supplement basic amenities. To do this at least keeps us from getting into the situation where 1/4 of the culture could get desperate enough to resort to a much worse kind of populism than what we've seen so far either in the US or Europe.

You most certainly don't, and I used the phrase largely in jest, albeit with some truth to it. In the UK (and elsewhere) we already have fairly widespread state benefits. I would imagine that the result of large-scale redundancy would be some kind of automation tax in order to cover the shortfall. I just don't foresee that being a permanent arrangement as the markets evolve.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2017, 8:08 am

Adamantium wrote:
Is it possible that if you are making an argument that involves labeling Bill Gates and Elon Musk "Luddites" then perhaps you are not using that word correctly?

No, it's not possible.

However, it is entirely plausible that you're uncharitably misinterpreting the spirit of the argument. Perhaps if you were to address the points made, as opposed to forwarding an inane semantic argument based purely on whatever your own intentions are, there might be reciprocity.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 12:49 am

those that suggest that aspies [more or less] automatically have monetizable talents and know intuitively [or easily/quickly learn how to monetize said talents] is ignoring the bulk of us average types [not gifted] who have no monetizable talents and even if we did, would have not a clue as to how to even learn how to entreprenurialize said talents.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 4:00 am

monetising is the difficulty, you need enough narcistic advertising to get anything out of anything
- your decent cooking goes unnoticed but others stay nicely in the middle of the attention-asking-task
- your products of good quality don't make it on their own, everybody imagines imself more knowlegdable...because seen that on tv ? whatever, the need to trod on you is too strong, and we'll buy that industrial product rather, that's save!

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2017, 8:18 am

auntblabby wrote:
those that suggest that aspies [more or less] automatically have monetizable talents and know intuitively [or easily/quickly learn how to monetize said talents] is ignoring the bulk of us average types [not gifted] who have no monetizable talents and even if we did, would have not a clue as to how to even learn how to entreprenurialize said talents.

There are plenty of jobs for people with no skills.

Isn't the real issue .. whether you can work ... with your ASD?