Toucan
Toucan

09 Feb 2017, 10:13 am

I have both as well as ADHD.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2017, 4:14 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if I had it. I don't know if I do or not but a cursory glance at its symptoms seems to suggest it.

Polly
Raven
Raven

10 Feb 2017, 4:37 am

My last professional diagnosis was for borderline personality disorder but it never felt like it fit

The Powerpuff Girls
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Feb 2017, 2:19 pm

Yes... :(

slimeprince
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Feb 2017, 10:50 pm

neither diagnosed but both strongly suspected

idonthaveanickname
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2017, 2:30 pm

Yes, I have both. I was diagnosed with Asperger's in 2010 and with Borderline Personality Disorder in 2015.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2017, 6:44 pm

I'm being treated for bipolar and PTSD. The center that I go to, unfortunately, ignores the profound grip that Autism and possibly BPD also have on me. Consequently, treatment of/for me has been an ongoing struggle for them. Just this afternoon my psychiatrist, in so many words, revealed that I may be beyond her help because of my stubbornness to change. I told her I have no control on my behavior which fluctuates between extremes. She insists I can change that, that's when I realize they know zip about Autism.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2017, 2:32 pm

I was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome in 2008 and bipolar just recently. My medication is being changed accordingly which is putting some strain on me.

redrobin62 wrote:
I told her I have no control on my behavior which fluctuates between extremes. She insists I can change that, that's when I realize they know zip about Autism.

I have to agree to a certain extent with your psychiatrist. One cannot rid oneself of the triggers that set off the extremes of behaviour, but you can use tricks to cope with them. What I mean is that there will always be times when rage or whatever overwhelms me, but over time I have changed how I handle these feelings and my coping has improved.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2017, 8:47 pm

I have both autism and BPD as well as social anxiety, OCD, and ADHD-pi.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Feb 2017, 9:11 pm

I was diagnosed with BPD & Aspergers but I don't think I would qualify for the BPD diagnoses now thou. I was suffering from a psychotic depression at the time over my 1st relationship ending which caused me to have LOTS of mood swings & a pretty unstable sense of self & the relationship was pretty unstable too because of my anxiety issues.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2017, 2:49 am

While the diagnostic criteria for both does not exclude the other, I have difficulty understanding how borderline personality disorder and ASD can exist together.

As I understand it, people with borderline personality disorder rely on other individuals to give them a sense of identity. "Autism" stems from the word "autos", and was used first to describe certain symptoms of schizophrenia, and later autism as we know it, in reference to the fact that people on the spectrum tend to be socially self contained, and less inclined than the general population for form social attachments.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2017, 7:54 am

Chronos wrote:
As I understand it, people with borderline personality disorder rely on other individuals to give them a sense of identity.

I've been diagnosed with both and I'm pretty sure I have both. Primarily with regard to bipolar I struggle with wild fluctuations between "highs" and "lows" and resultant dangerous behaviour. I have not, however, ever gotten a sense of identity from others.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2017, 8:47 am

The main question I always ask is:

What does "borderline" personality "border" on?

My impression was that a person who is "borderline" is on the "border" between neurosis and psychosis. If not, then why not come up with a different label for this disorder.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2017, 2:49 pm

It was thought, in past times, that people were BPD were, indeed, on the "borderline" between psychosis and neurosis." However, it is thought, these days, that it is not as simple as that.

An alternative name is "Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder."

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2017, 10:42 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It was thought, in past times, that people were BPD were, indeed, on the "borderline" between psychosis and neurosis." However, it is thought, these days, that it is not as simple as that.

An alternative name is "Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder."

I agree that the disorder is poorly named, and the name may, in fact, also contribute to the resistance of those with borderline personality disorder to accept their diagnosis and seek help.

As I understand it, the disorder often arises in people who are naturally emotionally sensitive individuals, and grow up in an invalidating or abusive environment. Because of this, some practitioners feel it would be more appropriate to rebrand it as a form of post traumatic stress disorder. Those opposed to doing so point out that not all individuals with the disorder are victims of abuse. However I suspect that some people are just naturally so emotionally sensitive that everyday life is traumatic for them.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2017, 10:44 pm

androbot01 wrote:
Chronos wrote:
As I understand it, people with borderline personality disorder rely on other individuals to give them a sense of identity.

I've been diagnosed with both and I'm pretty sure I have both. Primarily with regard to bipolar I struggle with wild fluctuations between "highs" and "lows" and resultant dangerous behaviour. I have not, however, ever gotten a sense of identity from others.

I understand how bipolar disorder and ASD can exist together, but not so much ASD and borderline personality disorder.