Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2017, 6:03 pm

So I play League of Legends, I've probably mentioned that before. It's a free to play game, and you literally don't need to buy anything to advance further in the game or anything like that...every necessary feature is free. But they have optional things you can buy like skins for your champions(the characters you play, there are a lot), skins for wards and which you stick on the map to have better vision of the enemy so basically fluff I guess...stuff you don't really need but can be nice to have for customization purposes.

Anyways, some people get so mad whenever there is anything you have to pay for, which I don't really get...I've bought skins and such because I like the game and It's worth it to spend a little money on it sometimes, besides they have to make money somehow and since they don't charge you to play the game like WOW and some other games, they do that through optional things you can buy. You can play without ever spending a dime on anything, but then you simply don't get accessories essentially which I don't think is that big of a deal.

Also now they have a Loot feature where you earn chests if you or someone on your team gets an S rank during the match on a champion you own, S being the highest score you can get...there is also A, B, C and D, with D being the lowest and you earn key fragments for doing well in a match or winning and you can build up various items from the chests to get skins and such. Of course it can take a long time because you get random fragments for items but that means you can still actually get skins for free...you just have to spend time on the game.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2017, 6:45 pm

There are two reasons for this:

1. There's a general idea in the industry right now... and you can thank publishers like EA and Activision for this... that ALL microtransactions, and I mean ALL of them, are inherantly bad. Every single one. That's what some people tend to think, as opposed to thinking about the original reason why microtransactions are there in the first place. Some games absolutely do these right (look at Path of Exile for instance, which is a textbook example of this done properly) but the big greedy publishers have given it a very bad name.

2. Players are extremely entitled little jerkwads. These are often the same type of people that look at an indie game that costs like, 2 dollars, and go "OMG 2 WHOLE DOLLARS WHAT A RIPOFF I MAY AS WELL JUST BUY FRANCE INSTEAD". Even if that game could give them 500+ hours of excellent gameplay. They believe that they, the player, the absolute focus of existence, should get all things for free (or at a massive discount) because they're just so darned great. It's the "Why should *I* of all people have to PAY for stuff?!?" sort of mentality. It's a pretty common thing right now and sure as heck isnt seen only in relation to microtransactions.