Motor Skill Difficulties, But Good Penmanship?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Mattoid
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Feb 2017, 2:24 am

My penmanship has been consistently good for most of my life so far. Some say that my cursive writing, though labored, is beautiful. Everyone finds my writing legible.

On the other hand, I've had a few professional psychological tests done on me, all saying that I have poor motor skills. How can this be?

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 114 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 90 of 200
You seem to have both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits

MBTI Type: INFP
Enneagram Type: 4w5

Surf Rider
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Feb 2017, 3:31 am

My penmanship is pretty bad. My athletic skill, however, is quite good, and I would not at all identify with "clumsiness" that comes up on all the autism symptoms lists. I'm not sure how all that works.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2017, 10:59 am

My handwriting is good. People have told me I have nice writing, particularly my signature. Unlike a lot of people, I actually write my name rather than doing a celebrity-type "chicken scratch." However, I am somewhat clumsy and have to be careful to avoid tripping. I was surprised how well I picked up the skills needed to play tennis. I suppose passion and interest motivated me to learn.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2017, 12:21 pm

My writing used to be bad, but I practiced every day for a little while and now it is quite good, as long as I take the time necessary to to a good job.

It seems that I am a slow learner when it comes to motor skills. My father wasn't able to teach me to play catch because it took me too long. But, I learned how to catch balls later in life. Slow learner doesn't mean you can't get really good at something if you spend enough time at it.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2017, 1:35 pm

I suppose it depends on whether one has gross motor skill or fine motor skill difficulties.

Mattoid
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Feb 2017, 1:55 am

EzraS wrote:
I suppose it depends on whether one has gross motor skill or fine motor skill difficulties.

Good point; I should've clarified. I actual have bad FINE motor skills. My gross motor skills used to be pretty bad too, but they've gotten much better.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 114 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 90 of 200
You seem to have both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits

MBTI Type: INFP
Enneagram Type: 4w5

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2017, 5:09 am

I have good motor skills -- both fine and gross motor.
And yet, my handwriting is usually terrible, but never illegible. :lol: Unless I take it slow, careful, but very prone to hand cramp way just to write clearly.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2017, 9:05 am

You would test much better if you could practice in advance.

TuesdaysChild
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Feb 2017, 9:11 am

My handwriting changes every time I pick up a pen, and I don't seem to have any choice in the matter. Sometimes it's neat, sometimes illegible, sometimes big, sometimes small, sometimes print, sometimes half cursive. I've always been this way. Comparing my writing over the years can seem like several different people wrote it.

Private Idaho
Toucan
Toucan

12 Feb 2017, 10:38 am

I have poor fine and gross motor coordination and on top of that I'm a cross dominant. My handwriting is atrocious but I've been typing everything of importance for the last 40 years. Thank god for word processors.

Alexinwonderland
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Feb 2017, 11:10 am

My handwriting and motor skills are awful, not many people can read my handwriting so if I need something handwritten I ask my fiance to write it out for me. I try to avoid any artistic tasks at work as i would really struggle and I don't want to be judged.