Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2017, 12:25 pm

Though it has been reporting on autism ( https://themighty.com/autism-spectrum-disorder/ ) and hundreds of other conditions for almost three years, I hadn't discovered The Mighty online until today.

The Mighty publishes "real stories by real people facing real challenges." According to its Who We Are page, The Mighty is "building a brand and a community around them. Having a disability or disease doesn't have to be isolating. That's why The Mighty exists."

I don't know if Wrong Planet's staff know about it, but The Mighty is "creating a safe platform for our community to tell their stories, connect with others and raise support for the causes they believe in. We are stronger when we face adversity together, and we know it. We've also partnered with over 250 nonprofit allies to deliver their excellent resources to our community." So, if Wrong Planet partners with The Mighty, Wrong Planet's main-page Autism News articles could be read by The Mighty's million's of readers. Naturally, this is another way to encourage those readers to see what WrongPlanet.net offers, too.

Most importantly, I recommend that Wrong Planet users visit The Mighty ( https://themighty.com/ ) for its large collection of daily articles and news reports.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2017, 1:09 pm

I read it quite frequently.

I believe I've seen that one of our users here on WP frequently writes for them, too.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2017, 1:16 pm

ArielsSong wrote:
I read it quite frequently.

I believe I've seen that one of our users here on WP frequently writes for them, too.

Cool! I was hoping somebody from WP was involved.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2017, 6:10 pm

Yes.

I find that most of the entries are variations of:

"What Xxxxx has taught me"
"I'm done hiding my Xxxxx"
"What my child with Xxxxx has taught me"
"How raising my child with Xxxxx made me a better person/made me reconsider aspects of life"
"How having Xxxxx made me a better person/made me reconsider aspects of life"
"My Xxxxx/my child's Xxxxx is not what you think"
"Myths about Xxxxx that should go away"
"When I realised I needed help due to Xxxx"
"To the person/parent of a child newly diagnosed with Xxxx"
"A letter to myself on the day I/my child was diagnosed with Xxxxx"

I'm not saying it's not good. Just a pattern I noticed.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2017, 6:41 pm

248RPA wrote:
Yes.

I find that most of the entries are variations of:

"What Xxxxx has taught me"
"I'm done hiding my Xxxxx"
"What my child with Xxxxx has taught me"
"How raising my child with Xxxxx made me a better person/made me reconsider aspects of life"
"How having Xxxxx made me a better person/made me reconsider aspects of life"
"My Xxxxx/my child's Xxxxx is not what you think"
"Myths about Xxxxx that should go away"
"When I realised I needed help due to Xxxx"
"To the person/parent of a child newly diagnosed with Xxxx"
"A letter to myself on the day I/my child was diagnosed with Xxxxx"

I'm not saying it's not good. Just a pattern I noticed.

Titles are usually decided by the editors to help give the titles and consistent "feel" and betetr understanding of the article's content.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2017, 6:50 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Titles are usually decided by the editors to help give the titles and consistent "feel" and betetr understanding of the article's content.

Okay. That makes sense.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2017, 9:31 pm

I have linked some of their articles

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2017, 2:10 am

Why I Resigned From The Mighty

Quote:
If the CEO for Abilify was in the front row right now, he’d be salivating,” she declared. She had just explained her strategic plan for monetizing the site with pharmaceutical advertising. But the plan didn’t end there. The Mighty planned to give drug companies user data that would help focus the pharmaceutical manufacturer’s marketing efforts.

Quote:
The Mighty remains partnered with Autism Speaks

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2017, 8:00 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:
If the CEO for Abilify was in the front row right now, he’d be salivating,” she declared. She had just explained her strategic plan for monetizing the site with pharmaceutical advertising. But the plan didn’t end there. The Mighty planned to give drug companies user data that would help focus the pharmaceutical manufacturer’s marketing efforts.

Quote:

I am remarkably able to separate a website's third-party content from the website and its corporate owners. In the case of Autism Speaks, I dislike both its corporate owners and its content for much of the same reason. But, I buy from Chick-fil-A because it has finally agreed to comply with state and federal court orders to observe nondiscrimination laws even though I disagree with the S. Truett Cathy family when they continue to spend their personal money to argue against such laws. I disagree with the schizophrenia exhibited about WrongPlanet.net's policies and rules. But, I wholeheartedly support Alex and his enterprise.

While I enjoy much of the content at TheMighty.com, it doesn't surprise me that, as a successful online site, it "plays ball" with Autism Speaks and other high-level autism-related research institutions. But, doesn't it condemn WP's Alex, too, when he and his online site support support Autism BrainNet, a partner of Autism Speaks? Didn't he accept some contributions or contractual payments from Autism Speaks to produce Autism Talk TV? Should I avoid MadInAmerica.com because one of its writers apparently saw no problem with including the phrase "a blogger who focuses on disability issues from the perspective of a Christian" as if that was a journalistically fair way to describe "a parent of disabled children?"

Guilt by association in the Internet Age is a tenuous hobby. I agree with what I agree with, and disagree with what I disagree with. Otherwise, I don't care what others do. Still, information is important, and I will keep an eye on what TheMighty.com says and does. Thanks for your "heads up."

Last edited by AspieUtah on 17 Feb 2017, 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2017, 8:08 am

AspieUtah wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

I am remarkably able to separate a website's third-party content from the website and its corporate owners. In the case of Autism Speaks, I dislike both its corporate owners and its content for much of the same reason. But, I buy from Chick-fil-A because it has finally agreed to comply with state and federal court orders to observe nondiscrimination laws even though I disagree with the S. Truett Cathy family when they continue to spend their personal money to argue against such laws. I disagree with the schizophrenia exhibited about WrongPlanet.net's policies and rules. But, I wholeheartedly support Alex and his enterprise.

While I enjoy much of the content at TheMighty.com, it doesn't surprise me that, as a successful online site, it "plays ball" with Autism Speaks and other high-level autism-related research institutions. But, doesn't it condemn WP's Alex, too, when he and his online site support support Autism BrainNet, a partner of Autism Speaks?

Guilt by association in the Internet Age is a tenuous hobby. I agree with what I agree with, and disagree with what I disagree with. Otherwise, I don't care what others do. Still, information is important, and I will keep an eye on what TheMighty.com says and does. Thanks for your "heads up."

You are welcome.