Does anyone here actually want to work?

Page 3 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2017, 12:32 am

Yes I would like to. I am currently on disability but I don't want that to be a forever thing so am working with vocational rehabilitation to try and make that happen.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2017, 5:43 am

Lately I've been thinking of possibly pursuing a job, just as something to generate a bit of extra money, kill time, and give me a reason to get up in the morning. I think there's a lot of adjusting I'd have to do before I got a job though.

Windigo
Raven
Raven

28 Mar 2017, 8:20 am

I am too disabled for a regular job working for a boss,if that's what you mean.

I have Aspergers and several chronic illnesses that impair my ability to be anywhere every day at the same time exept my home. But that doesn't stop me from working.

In fact, I do work. Volantirily, that's true but it's work nonetheless. I work as a Twitter account manager for a charity, and aside from that I work as a freelance writer. I get hired regularly for a piece, and it's very nice to do. I work every day in something I love doing, yet I don't leave my house for it and I don't have a boss.

Can't beat that in my eyes :D

AndrewBatman82
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Mar 2017, 3:08 am

yes i want to work my psychiatrist referred me to a person that manages jobs for the disabled and i will go there in a few weeks maybe

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 4:43 am

MissAlgernon wrote:
crystaltermination wrote:
MissAlgernon wrote:
If you know your topic, you'll be a great talker in this specific domain. Because it helps explaining a comprehensive synthesis of your topic in a minimum amount of time. And with passion.
I suffer from the same flaw as you, but let me start talking about astrophysics or computers, people told me they're glued to my speech every time, whether they're people who know the topic or people who don't. When I talk about something else, they yawn or they ask me to rephrase it all the time.
The better you know your topic, the better you'll talk about it. You can even get as technical as you want and even if people don't follow you, they don't always mind, just add a few additional details to help them understanding and it will work most of the time. So don't worry too much, passion helps.

Thanks for your support and advice. :) If anything is my passion (other than collecting rocks and desert plants) it's environmental science, so perhaps things will get better.

Don't let a few teachers belittle you. Because sooner or later, they will destabilize you and may discourage you. It doesn't mean anything about your capacity to talk about something you know very well.
I had one physics teacher like that when I was a student. The most snobbish person you can ever imagine, who just because he got his degree (he was only about 25) got sadistic pleasure in humiliating his students who were almost the same age. One day, he decided to talk to me after class and proceeded to destroy me with one of his coworkers just because I was talking about a new theory that was more advanced than the program. At the time, I didn't know how to argue back. I didn't try. I felt crushed and decided to give up. A few years later, I actually talked about this theory to a physicist and there are now teams currently working on this same theory. So it happens I wasn't wrong but I was convinced to be for years, just because of two teachers who like to feel superior to his students.
Don't doubt that as long as you don't have your PhD, there are people who will attempt to crush you, and even after. Not many, but they do exist. The more talented you are, the more people will feel threatened by it. It doesn't mean anything or that your work is worthless. Don't think that because they said humiliating arguments against your thesis, and they're a bit more experienced, they're right and you're wrong. There is a lot of competition, especially against the best students. It's part of the package, sadly. But with time, you'll know their arguments better and better so you can eventually dismiss them. If ever at the start you feel too much competition and you don't speak quite as well as they do, just give yourself time, don't let a tiny handful of people belittle what you do. It's just words. Things will get much better with time.

That's jealousy. Teachers hate it when students know better than them (I know it was a theory, but similar thing). I'm pretty sure a lot of them teach just because they like knowing better than their students. I'm not saying most teachers, but a lot of them. It's kind of pathetic really.

Cad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Mar 2017, 5:02 am

If I could balance my lab with my music, art, and theatre...I wouldn't be so miserable, but I would be broke. My aim is to become a famous singer/actress/painter. :P

svaughan
Raven
Raven

29 Mar 2017, 7:18 am

I work from home and it's supposed to be an 8 hour day but I'm finished way before then. 8 hour days are often a waste of time, it's an old out of date system that should not need to apply to many jobs now, there are notable exceptions of course. I crave freedom most of all. Even though money is nice, I don't believe we should be working our arses off just to survive or even lead a good life.

Nickchick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Mar 2017, 4:51 pm

EmilyRyan wrote:
I would love to have a job I'm even willing to work a job that isn't to my interests only problem I have is no one want to give this girl a chance :(

And to make things worse I been asking around other places and I getting responses like how employers shouldn't have to hire and accommodate and they wonder why so many of us end up living off the government :?

I feel the same way and have for a long time which btw the only thing I hate about work is trying to get a job in the first place. I am so sick of going on interviews, looking for job advice, looking through the listings. I would rather get my teeth drilled 10 times than ever have to look for work again.

I just want one more than anything because I want to be independent and a paid job is the only way I can feel like I'm doing something with my life. I don't want anyone to have to take care of me even financially but I wouldn't do good at owning my own business. I'm just not the type.

It's obviously gotta be something I don't mind doing but I'm not too picky...even tried the craft store even though I'm not really crafty. I guess I wasn't passionate enough. That's the problem I can't fake passion but I thought it would be enough because I have the kind of personality for it.

Fireblossom wrote:
Well, yes and no. I certainly wouldn't bother if I won enough money in a lottery or something to last a lifetime, but since I don't think that'll happen I really do want a job (I'm currently unempoyed.).

If I won that much money, I wouldn't either but I would then consider volunteering as it would be easy for me to do so not having to worry about the result of volunteering. I don't see the purpose of volunteering to find more work I would expect too much out of it so I would love to just win the lottery without even playing (I'd lose) that way I am doing the volunteering more selflessly. I would probably also donate some because I am not a big excessive spender. Give me a nice house decent car the man of my dreams vacations a few times a year..and I'm pretty good. I actually want to get rid of a lot of my stuff right now but had trouble selling it.

On the other hand I couldn't live with myself if I went on disability (well I can't live with myself now but yeah) because I feel like a burden doing that. It has to be awarded to me or earned.

ThisAdamGuy wrote:
That's a difficult question to answer. I don't want to do work that I don't like. Do I enjoy taking endless calls from loud, psychopathic customers? Of course not. Would I enjoy being able to do nothing but write books all day and watch my bank account rise? Uh... I don't know. On the one hand, having a job you don't like makes you appreciate your hobbies and passions more, because those are what you do because you want to, not because you have to. What happens if you take that away? What if I suddenly had a contract with a publisher that said I have to write [this many] books every year, [this many] words a day, and if the publisher didn't like it I had to redo it, regardless of my own opinions on it? Would it still be fun? Maybe the fact that I'm writing, writing, writing nonstop would make it tolerable. Then again, maybe the fact that I'm now being forced to do it, and that if I stop I'll no longer have food, water, and electricity, rather than doing it to relax and have fun, could take away that enjoyment.

TLDR, sometimes having a job you don't like is for the best because it helps you appreciate what you do in your free time more. You don't have to stick with something you absolutely hate, but don't discard a job just because it doesn't line up with what you do for fun.

I know what you mean. I'd ideally want to do something I like doing but not a hobby hobby (I used to do the app Viggle when it first started and was actually good and it took a bit of the fun out of watching TV)..one I'd enjoy doing as a job where I could feel fulfilled you know.
I want a job partly for this reason. I don't like the idea of staying home all day. It makes holidays for example like any other day.
As much as I do get drained being out and about as an introvert, I think I could do it for a certain number of hours for a paycheck. I don't generally get anxiety or anything like that just by being around people.

Nick9075 wrote:

You really are 'happy' about not working??

I think I get it somewhat. Although I was always concerned about my future, I was kinda relaxed about not getting a job. I was always a hard working student so I just wanted to take a year or two off from it all. Then I signed up for college and I still wasn't really worried about getting a job too much at least not outwardly because I wanted to focus on my studies.
But then it catches up with you. Being unemployed gets really old after a while. I always wanted to be independent but getting a job didn't worry me before..now it does. As the years went by it got worse and worse. I don't really know how to explain it but it feels like I don't have a life. I mean to an outsider I guess I do. I occasionally shop. I walk my dogs every day. I dance/listen to music. I sometimes exercise. I go out to dinner once in a while. With the little money I get I went on a few vacations in the past few years..that's probably the only time I feel like I have a life but even then it's only temporary so I guess you could say I have cabin fever too but I don't want to just go out and hang out with people in the city because I hate my city so that's not my idea of fun. I think even if I vacationed though on a regular basis I'd still feel like I needed more of a life. It sounds confusing so it probably only makes sense if you've been unemployed as long as I have.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 8:38 am

Yes I like working.

Dealing with the low-self esteem I had when I was unemployed was harder than working a full-time job.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 8:39 am

svaughan wrote:
I work from home and it's supposed to be an 8 hour day but I'm finished way before then. 8 hour days are often a waste of time, it's an old out of date system that should not need to apply to many jobs now, there are notable exceptions of course. I crave freedom most of all. Even though money is nice, I don't believe we should be working our arses off just to survive or even lead a good life.
Really? :o What do you do?

HenryGramer
Raven
Raven

31 Mar 2017, 1:03 pm

I'm starting to think that work is such a bore and working with others is always awkward. It's never a question of do you actually want to work. It's a need or you're f****d financially. But as they say with folks that have Aspergers (or whatever the hell crazy ya got), you gotta look for jobs that will capitalize on your Asperger/whatever crazy ya got traits otherwise they dispose of ya.

ND score: 131/200
NT score: 58/200

Says I'm Aspie...

Please don't type of paragraphs in response to my questions or replies because that will overwhelm my mind and make me not want to read your responses.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 1:10 pm

I really really do not want to work

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 1:19 pm

I love working, I just couldn't live without working.

But the social aspect is so much energy draining for autists (maybe depends on jobs). In certain conditions, it may well lead you to be willing to stop working even if you like working. It happened to me once, I wanted to stop working, I just resigned, dot. I could easily live without working.

But after, I wanted so much to work that I started to look for another job like crazy, right away :)

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2017, 7:39 pm

SolitaryOutsider wrote:
I was diagnosed with Aspergers about fifteen years ago while I was in my early twenties. I've never liked a single job I've worked it, but surprisingly have been kind of able to hold onto them for surprising amounts of time.

Seven years in retail...overnight stock. It wasn't bad for what it was, but I know I would never be able to live on my own with it.
Majored in Asian Studies and Japanese, but not really fluent but I was able to graduate. Couldn't really find any work unless I wanted a Masters, and I honestly hate research, so got into IT Help Desk stuff. Really disliked it but stuck with it for the money. Then got Cisco certifications to got into networking. Again, still hated it but it was better paying and dealt with slightly less people. Got laid off a week ago...and couldn't be happier.

It's nice to not have to come into work. Not to talk to anyone. I can go to the gym. I can play games. I can go to the movies. I can do whatever I want within reason. And be left alone.

...but I know it won't last. Savings and unemployment will carry me for nine months at best. I dread every day that I will get a call back from one of the jobs I applied to. I really hate having to work with computers. But really, I hate every type of work. I strongly believe anyone who says they enjoy work are lying to themselves that they enjoy being slaves to server some master.

This completely sounds like me. I haven't been diagnosed, and oddly I went to school for computers. But I never found a job in my field because I didn't want a higher degree - although every place I applied at, hardly anyone working there had a degree. :? So I got stuck working retail and doing occasional freelance work. Right now I'm not doing anything, and I've left every job I've had because of stress (except one as a work study while I was in school - I basically got paid to do my homework and teach myself graphic design).

I've done a lot of volunteer work in my life and I am always happier doing that for free than anything I've ever gotten paid to do. What's expected of me and what they think I should be paid to do that job basically makes me unable to handle reality. So I guess my problem isn't work, it's money and being obligated to make it to survive.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2017, 2:00 pm

there is the idea though of trying to band together, create a business together, but obviously identify each persons needs and interests and see what sort of work benefits the business as well as relating to interests of its employees.

just a dream i guess

Johs98
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Apr 2017, 3:02 pm

I'd love to have a full time permanent job, at the moment I'm with an agency on a zero hours contract, if I'm lucky I'll get 2-3 shifts a week, i plan to become self employed once I pass my driving test so hopefully that'll solve that problem if all goes well.