Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2017, 9:56 am

I just found out there's a movie about a woman falling in love with an aspie man called "Adam" (it's not about me, I swear!). Has anyone seen this? Is it any good? How well do they portray people with Aspergers?

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2017, 12:04 pm

I think it's quite a nice movie although can be a little too stereotypical.

Amebix
Toucan
Toucan

17 Feb 2017, 9:38 pm

The title character is done extremely well. The film itself got mediocre reviews, and truth be told it's not a great story. However, I really enjoyed the movie, mostly because the portrayal of the main character is so effective. That said, watching it can make me uncomfortable and even cringe at some points because of how well it portrays some of my stranger behaviors. I recommend it, though my favorite Asperger's movie is actually Asperger's Are Us.

I can definitely see what komamanga means about it being stereotypical. Different people with AS show different symptoms with different levels of severity, and it seems like the film tried to portray ALL of the major symptoms pretty severely. However, I can understand why they did this - the point of the film is essentially to show what Asperger's Syndrome is like, so it tries to cover all its bases. I also think it shows the symptoms fairly and sympathetically, which makes it effective and likable.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2017, 11:32 pm

I recall seeing the movie years ago. While it wasn't a bad movie, I don't think of it as an exceptional movie, either, especially since the Adam character at times came across as too lower functioning to be an actual Aspie.
I actually preferred Mozart And The Whale, despite the fact that it wasn't always a spot on depiction of Asperger's, and Drive, even though that last wasn't overtly about high functioning autism.